Desperate to Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Have had this set-up (below) for 3-4 years and I've just never been happy with it. I like to listen to a fairly wide range of music current faves include: Kind of Blue (Miles Davis), Charles Mingus, The Apples (Funk), Weezer (alt Rock), Rage against the machine (also listen to movie soundtracks through it, but music is priority). But tend to mostly listen to Jazz and Funk

Setup: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Cd Player - NAD C521BEE Speakers - Celestion F3 (Floorstanders)

I have a fairly large room so the speakers should have plenty of room to breath (does anyone know exactly how far away from the wall should they be?). But when I listen to jazz, to me my system has always sounded a little, for want of a better word, 'muddy' . Ideally I would like a system that sounds really clear and involving and should also sound great at more moderate listening levels (for the neighbours sake). I have about £1,500 - £2,000 to spend on an upgrade and have 3 options in mind:

1) upgrade one or more Hi-Fi components 2) upgrade the whole lot

3) Look at something like the Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 (don't want 5.1) for improvement in sound and useful for home cinema

So need some help deciding which option and which components. Any assistance would be gratefully recieved!!!!!
emotion-21.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
1) i'd personally upgrade bit by bit - more fun that way
2) for 2k you can get a massive improvement over what you have
3) never understood 2.1 systems - complete waste of money imo - 3.1 in my opinion is the way to go if thats what you want but thats another matter.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I'd start with changing the speakers.The Mordaunt short mezzo floorstanders got a good review in this months whf and will sound good with the cambridge audio.Check out the new tannoys and ma. rs6 aswell, i.m.h.o big future proof improvement.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, likewise. Start with your speakers, Again the Mezzos and RS6s are a good bet, but also try and listen to the Rega R3s...

Before DM jumps in, with that budget you could also look at the AVI ADM9.1s - your CD player would act purely as a transport and connect directly into them digitally, so no amp required.

They are a little "marmite" (i.e. people either love them or hate them), but with that budget it could well be worth a listen - you can contact them through their website.

Personally I have RS6s and love them.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Yep, likewise. Start with your speakers, Again the Mezzos and RS6s are a good bet, but also try and listen to the Rega R3s...

Before DM jumps in, with that budget you could also look at the AVI ADM9.1s - your CD player would act purely as a transport and connect directly into them digitally, so no amp required.

They are a little "marmite" (i.e. people either love them or hate them), but with that budget it could well be worth a listen - you can contact them through their website.

Personally I have RS6s and love them.

I would get the RS6s and then buy the Cambridge Audio 840A v2 (£750)- very different beast from what you have at the moment - and pair it with the 740C (£500). This has digital in so you could connect a pc to it and use the DAC in the cd player for much improved sound. The great thing about the 840 and 740 ranges is that you can buy them, take them home for a couple of weeks and if they are not what you are after, you can take them back for a full refund. Now that is a home demo!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i used to have that amp. i wouldn't upgrade your speakers without changing the amp first. you need to audition, preferably at home. with that budget you can get something that will kill your old set-up, it won't be a subtle upgrade.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Dali Ikon 6 give out exactly the sort of sound you are after at low or high volumes.

Try these first, then see what to upgrade next, I would say the amp.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Go to a couple of dealers and listen to some kit! ones man meat another mans posion and all that!

A

Anonymous

emotion-2.gif
Thanks for all your advice everyone!! I've set up a couple of auditions based on your recomendations, Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts