Desperate for some advice with regards to my Yamaha RX-V2500

Azaiya

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
My current home cinema audio setup consists of BW605s2’s for front left and right, an LCR6s2 for centre and DM601s2 for rears coupled with a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver.

I recently noticed my receiver is getting very hot, I assume this is down to a failure with either the internal fan or the circuitry the fan is connected to. As of yet I am not aware of any other issues with the amp, but obviously there could be more wrong which I am just not aware of.

It’s been quite some time since I purchased the above equipment so I am not up to date on latest technologies. I have also fallen on hard times financially and therefore I am looking for guidance as to what would be the best course of action to take.

I am very happy with my audio setup, I love the power it can produce and have no quibbles with the sound quality.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Would you look to replace the amp with a cheap second hand one, or would you get the amp serviced and repaired?

Having never had an amp serviced and repaired before, I have no idea of costs involved and as I am not up to date on current equipment and technology I have no idea what would be an equivalent amp to purchase for replacement.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated as my sound system means everything to me and the thought of having to down grade quality of sound or power output due to financial issues is really concerning to me.

Thanks

David

P.S. ATM I have a table fan next to my amp which I use to keep it cool ever since I discovered the heat issue. I have also downloaded the service manual and I am strongly concidering fixing the unit myself after seeing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr3SmvF759U what are your thoughts?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I suggest silentpc.co.uk. Buy a similar sized fan and power it from a suitable 12v supply. My V2065 has no fan but I use a small 60mm fan sat on top of the vents. Keeps it all cool. Another similar for the SkyHD box. They have an enormous range and u can choose the quietest with decent volume.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Chances are that if it is just a fan the repair will cost in less than buying a new amplifier. Any reputable Yamaha dealer should be able to get this serviced for you and initially get an estimate which may cost around £60. Typically if you go ahead with the repair this money will be taken off the cost of the total repair.

The disadvantage of a repair as per against buying a new amplifier is the warranty. Repairs typically are guaranteed for 3 months. Buying a new amplifier will get you in most cases a two year warranty.

I would not recommend repairing yourself.

Hi David

Good speakers and a good amplifier. I would highly recommend that you should have the RX-V2500 looked at and repaired as long as there are no other imminent issues and that the fix is not going to cost more then £150. The RX-V2500 is worth it for a few more years
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts