Design classics.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Has the design and domestic appeal of hi-fi really progressed that much in 55 years since this?...

214_dieter_jp141108_a.jpg

BrAun SK5 from 1956.

It's very compact too (especially by the standards of the time when battleship sized, mock Georgian radiograms-come-drinks cabinets were all the rage here in Britain!)

At 580 x 240 x 290mm it would take up roughly as much volume/area as just two thirds of one of my (very) compact Rega R3 floorstanders laid flat. (The BrAun has the speakers built in.) It only needs a mains connection so no cable 'nests'.

I can't see one unecessary line/switch/control on it. Popped into a smart, 1950s designer wall-unit it would virtually disappear.

Do you have any favourite old (or new) radio/stereo/hifi design classics?

T

the record spot

The Braun piece featured in a Hi Fi World article some months ago and still sounds decent for what it is. The trend back to smaller kit centred in the one box and away from the issues that separates bring in their wake is a welcome one IMO.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Guys, guys, we're talking design here, this is brutalism. Hardly any hifi products qualify although the Braun does as do the Quad 33 and 34 pre-amps and a rather beautiful concave Nakamichi cassette deck, can't remember its name

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
marou said:
Guys, guys, we're talking design here, this is brutalism. Hardly any hifi products qualify although the Braun does as do the Quad 33 and 34 pre-amps and a rather beautiful concave Nakamichi cassette deck, can't remember its name

Yes I was just thinking that myself, haven't seen that many missed points since I last played darts...

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
You guys do realise that there are many approaches to design outside the Bauhaus school of thought?

I have to agree though, that BrAun SK5 and the Quad 34 are great looking and timeless designs (not so sure about the Quad 33).

Quad 34:

Quad_34_Pre_Amplifier.jpg

Quad 33:

Quad_33_Pre_Amp.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AL13N said:
You guys do realise that there are many approaches to design outside the Bauhaus school of thought?

There might well be but some of these things eg:

images.jpg

don't appear to have been designed at all...

I have to agree though, that BrAun SK5 and the Quad 34 are great looking and timeless designs (not so sure about the Quad 33).

Quad 34:

Quad_34_Pre_Amplifier.jpg

Quad 33:

Quad_33_Pre_Amp.jpg

I think I'd rather have the 33 to be honest...

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Maybe the Sonos S5 could be considered a modern equivalent to the Braun SK5.

A compact all-in-one system to playback your digital files and internet radio (as apposed to vinyl and FM/AM radio). The design is also very clean and simple.

48b5a0ff-6873-4c9b-adbd-8817c4b1db7c.jpg

bfe81be0-da7d-4a8d-a18b-a6f5782e8c8b.jpg

A

Anonymous

Have a look at B&O, the AR turntable and especially the Braun electrostatics - sorry, couldn't find a copyright free picture of them. They are true classics, the rest is dross in my opinion. Well, Sonus Faber are OK, I suppose. Oh, and the Nautilus, though it's not to my taste.

A

Anonymous

What a disaster! What were they thinking? I take it sales were in single digits...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts