DENON or ONKYO???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Hope you can help... I have been offered the DENON 2807 for the same price as the ONKYO 605 (£400), is anybody experienced on both of these models. I have no idea which one to go for!!! Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

I was actually leaning towards the DENON. I understand that i'd get better sound from it, but would have to use analogue inputs to achieve the true HD sound as it is an older model.

I have heard nothing but praise for the ONKYO amp until i spoke to somebody in Sevenoaks who said that they are getting good reviews because it's all new, but given a few months, it'll be forgotten. What are you thoughts?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="essence"]I have heard nothing but praise for the ONKYO amp until i spoke to somebody in Sevenoaks who said that they are getting good reviews because it's all new, but given a few months, it'll be forgotten. What are you thoughts?[/quote]

My thoughts are that it never ceases to amaze me what shop staff will say...

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt pretend to know which amp has the better sound possibly the denon as it was much more expensive new but ive not heard them back to back. but the onkyo getting good reviews becouse its new is utter rot, nearly all products are new to the shelves when they are reviewed and some get recieved well(scuse pun) and some dont!

A

Anonymous

The impression he gave me was that it was over-hyped. He said they (staff in that particular branch) were not overly impressed.

A

Anonymous

I will do that before i make a final decision, but I thought i'd get a few opinions from the more experienced first.

A

Anonymous

...Also, i couldn't find much on the DENON as it's discontinued.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="essence"]The impression he gave me was that it was over-hyped. He said they (staff in that particular branch) were not overly impressed.[/quote]

But they still had them in stock? How extraordinary!

Or perhaps they didn't have them in stock, which would explain a lot...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="essence"]II have heard nothing but praise for the ONKYO amp until i spoke to somebody in Sevenoaks who said that they are getting good reviews because it's all new, but given a few months, it'll be forgotten. What are you thoughts?[/quote]

Sounds like the same twaddle that the condescending t^*t (just my opinion) at Sevenoaks in Kingston tried on me, coincidently I left the store with nothing only a few minutes later...

Another shop was more than happy for me to try both products and let my own ears be the judge. Despite the fact that I find the looks of the thing very unappealing, on price/features & performance I was won over by the Onkyo. I suspect that's much the same opinion shared by the reviewers at WHF

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="LondonBen"]

Sounds like the same twaddle that the condescending t^*t (just my opinion) at Sevenoaks in Kingston tried on me

[/quote]

So it could be a party line brought about by large stocks of unsold Denons and less Onkyos to hand. Nah, shop staff would never pull a trick like that, would they...?

emotion-16.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="LondonBen"]Sounds like the same twaddle that the condescending t^*t (just my
opinion) at Sevenoaks in Kingston tried on me, coincidently I left the
store with nothing only a few minutes later...[/quote]

Might have been the same sales guy!!!

A

Anonymous

First of all, i'd like to thank you guys for all your input. it has been extremely useful.

I went into the store today for a (stereo) demo and in the end, i came out with the YAMAHA RX-V1700 which for an extra £50 blew the ONKYO away in my opinion (expected, as they are in a different price category). The ONKYO is a brilliant amp, but as it will be used mostly for music, i chose the YAMAHA. i am aware that this amp won WHF best av amp in 2006...Did i get a good deal at £450???

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts