Denon Headphones - which

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
After having spent weeks researching which set of high end phones to buy (buy well, buy once) everything for my needs seems to point to Denon headphones being of excellent quality and providing the kind of sound that I like. I listen to mainly classic rock music and do like a very warm, full sound.

I just can't figure out whether to come in with the AH-D2000 or go for the AH-D5000. Then I get silly and contemplate the apparently excellent AH-D7000 as well.

I will use them solely with my Integrated amp (Linn Classik music) and not with any portable device so dpn't 'think' I needa dedicated headphone amp to make them sing and I believe that the impedence is pretty low anyway.

Question is therefore for users/past users of these cans as to their views of them and also whether the price difference between the 3 is reiterated by the difference in quality AND sound quality between them.

In short, which are the best buy.

Cheers.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To my ears there is a more substantial jump in sound quality from the D2k's to the D5k's than between the D5k's and D7k's. So naturally I purchased the D5000's and I am very happy with them but........I do now wish I had bitten the bullet and gone straight for the D7000's. You are correct in that they are all 25ohm's impedance and easy to drive, your Linn should be fine I would guess.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks eggontoast that's the kind of comparison I was after - I was just concerned about law of diminishing returns in regards to their respective prices.

However, I decided that if I was going to go for a set of premium cans then I will keep them for a long time and I had the same dilemma that you had about did I start high or low in the range. I ordered the AH-D7000's last night and they are being delivered tomorrow - can't wait to get them and see what all the fuss is about.

:)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
That's an easy one but, deep breath, you ain't gonna like the answer. I have a pair of SR80i's which I like a lot within their limitations and they serve a purpose for me in many respects (with an ipod they are better than my IEMs, easy to drive and any residual brightness is taken care of by my Fiio E5). Their sound doesn't sound as bright or coarse to me as some others describe but everyone hears differently.

I also plan to add more as time passes but if the Denons are as good as reported then I may be quite happy with them.

I'll take any other recommendations you may have though? And boy did it hurt pressing 'Buy' at £606 for a pair of headphones. Good job they are coming this weekend - they may just help me close out the vitriol from her indoors when she finds out.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
And boy did it hurt pressing 'Buy' at £606 for a pair of headphones. Good job they are coming this weekend - they may just help me close out the vitriol from her indoors when she finds out.
smiley-tongue-out.gif
It's funny how perceptions change, I used to think £100 for a set of cans.....your mad. I them purchased a pair at £130, next £180, next £350, next £700 and on it goes. I consistently look at headphones in the £1000 range now and think that's not bad :O

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Paulq said:
And boy did it hurt pressing 'Buy' at £606 for a pair of headphones. Good job they are coming this weekend - they may just help me close out the vitriol from her indoors when she finds out.
smiley-tongue-out.gif
It's funny how perceptions change, I used to think £100 for a set of cans.....your mad. I them purchased a pair at £130, next £180, next £350, next £700 and on it goes. I consistently look at headphones in the £1000 range now and think that's not bad :O

Yeah I know just what you mean, I did something similar to that but just recently got up to the £600 range with the Denon D7000. I am really happy with these phones and haven't noticed the deminishing returns as I thought I might. It really seems like they are 6 times better than my £100 headphones from Sennheiser and Grado. I would like to one day pick one more in the £1000 range (after I sort out a DAC/Amp) that compliments the D7000 nicely, would you be able to make any suggestions?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
That's an easy one but, deep breath, you ain't gonna like the answer. I have a pair of SR80i's which I like a lot within their limitations and they serve a purpose for me in many respects (with an ipod they are better than my IEMs, easy to drive and any residual brightness is taken care of by my Fiio E5). Their sound doesn't sound as bright or coarse to me as some others describe but everyone hears differently.

I also plan to add more as time passes but if the Denons are as good as reported then I may be quite happy with them.

I'll take any other recommendations you may have though? And boy did it hurt pressing 'Buy' at £606 for a pair of headphones. Good job they are coming this weekend - they may just help me close out the vitriol from her indoors when she finds out.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

If your experience is anything like mine you have a very interesting weekend ahead. Although I loved the D7000's out of the box (got them just before New Years) they seemed to get even better over the next couple of weeks (that's all I can tell you so far). Whether that was me getting used to the phones or the possibly phantom 'burn-in' I could not tell you. Obviously I think you made the right choice as that's exactly what I just did
smiley-tongue-out.gif
. I also came from owning the Grado SR80's, they are very different but don't let that put you off.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Well, the AH-D7000's arrived today and have been given a few hours and my first impression is WOW - I am disappointed!! To my ears they sound very very muddy and lacking in any kind of definition at all; missing a lot of the subtleties in the music that my Grados give.

I went in with my eyes open knowing that closed backs would have a different signature and that the Denons would give uber bass but I didn't imagine them to sound so overblown really.

Beautifully made and very solid - have other users found the same? I am not really a 'burn in' disciple.

Thanks in advance.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Paulq said:
Well, the AH-D7000's arrived today and have been given a few hours and my first impression is WOW - I am disappointed!! To my ears they sound very very muddy and lacking in any kind of definition at all; missing a lot of the subtleties in the music that my Grados give.

I went in with my eyes open knowing that closed backs would have a different signature and that the Denons would give uber bass but I didn't imagine them to sound so overblown really.

Beautifully made and very solid - have other users found the same? I am not really a 'burn in' disciple.

Thanks in advance.

Hiya Paulq,

I would give them a couple of days to settle down and bed in...maybe leave them playing for a few hours to burn in. I owned the Denon AHD2000 and initially found the same.....they took a while to settle down, but once they did they were excellent....different to the Grado's but in a good way. The overblown Bass will settle down a bit, as it did with my 2000's

Unfortunately I sold my Denon's as they leak noise and I needed them not to. The Grado sound is quite uniquenI find being very dynamic and detailed and very forward.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jason

Thanks for your reply. I used the Denons last night extensively (9 hours+) and again this morning (3 hours+) and to be honest I still feel the same. Without wanting to open up the whole debate I simply don't buy this burn in thing and think it's more a case of 'brain in' whereby you get used to a certain sound and your brain forgets the 'learned' signature of a different set.

I may be being rather premature here but never before have I felt able to make a decision so quickly on a pair of cans and I know for sure they are not for me. A real real pity as they are gorgeous but the sensation I get when wearing them is like the one before your ears pop when an aeroplane is descending for landing - nothing is clear and it actually made me feel uncomfortable. I don't think I am gonna adjust to them at all so my brain is definitely 'out' - not an uncommon occurrence.

I don't know what to try next and may just revert to a set of ATH-M50's or DT770's despite them not being in the price range or strata of cans that the Denons are. What I do know (sorry eggontoast) is that by comparison my Grado SR80i's were far more suitable a listen for me (note I didn't at any point use the word 'better' :) ) as they revealed everything the Denons did with sufficient bass and detail for me.

If anyone else has suggestions for another set of premium closed backs up to, say, £600 then I will certainly consider. However it has left me reflecting on the controversial topic of whether more expensive is necessarily better.

I just need some closed backs before her indoors wraps either a straight or coiled cable around ny nether regions in the name of Grado sound leakage......

Disappointed.com

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There's no need to apologise to me, you like what you like.

The sensation you are getting is because they are closed back cans. Some people seem to be more susceptible than others, it may wear off as you get used to listening to them. You will probably have this problem with any closed back headphone you choose. If I was you I'd give them a week and see how you get on, not for burn in but for you to get used to a set of closed backs, but you may not. With regards to the DT-770's you have mentioned, from what you have said about the Denon's I think you will hate the Beyers and find them really muddy and boomy.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
There's no need to apologise to me, you like what you like. The sensation you are getting is because they are closed back cans. Some people seem to be more susceptible than others, it may wear off as you get used to listening to them. You will probably have this problem with any closed back headphone you choose. If I was you I'd give them a week and see how you get on, not for burn in but for you to get used to a set of closed backs, but you may not. With regards to the DT-770's you have mentioned, from what you have said about the Denon's I think you will hate the Beyers and find them really muddy and boomy.

Well said eggontoast! I posted my response before i saw this. I have been listening to some DT770 (borrowed from a friend) at work for a week now, I can't get used to them at all for this exact reason. I think it's the open nature of good headphones that I am craving now which is why I am looking to LCD-2 or HD700/800 for my next headphone but I will never sell the D7000, I really love them!

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I saw WOW
smiley-smile.gif
... then I saw disappointed
smiley-frown.gif

So sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience! Coming from and liking the grados I also found the Denons a shock at first, perhaps less so because I was also used to the Sennheiser HD25-1 II which are very closed and have much more propunced bass. It deffinitely took me more than a week to get used to the Denons properly. I think even after 3 they are still setting down for me, it's deffinitely me though, I am still not convinced that burn-in exists. Although the Denon sound was a shock at first I still loved it from the very beginning, just nowhere near as much as i do now so I would say give it a little more time. I am still surprised that your initial experience is so negative.

If you decide to get rid of the d7000s because of how not closed they are then I would be a little stumped to pick something else in the same range, I don't think there are anything in the £600 range, can anyone else suggest anything?

I have heard people say that the sound characteristics of Grado are very pushed in the upper mids. I didn't find it a problem until I got used to the Denon, now I can't listen to them any more. Perhaps that is what you are looking for or perhpas it's soundstage you are looking for, which I think you will only get from an open headphone so you are a bit screwed there.

My next phones will either be the Sennheiser HD700 or Audeze LCD-2. Both of those are much more neurtral than Denon or Grado so maybe you would like that but they are also very open.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Paulq: I just thought... If what eggontoast is saying about the closed nature of the sound being a turn-off for you is true. Perhaps you could try out some lower end closed cans like the ATH-M50, DT770 or HD25-1 II for a few weeks first and then go back to the D7000s. This could give you a very nice perspective on the 'quality' of the Denons.

For me having to be used to the extremely closed nature of the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs for work probably helped me to fully appreciate to the D7000 sound...

Just a thought, it may not be too easy. Do you have any friends with some phones like this?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
There's no need to apologise to me, you like what you like. The sensation you are getting is because they are closed back cans. Some people seem to be more susceptible than others, it may wear off as you get used to listening to them. You will probably have this problem with any closed back headphone you choose. If I was you I'd give them a week and see how you get on, not for burn in but for you to get used to a set of closed backs, but you may not. With regards to the DT-770's you have mentioned, from what you have said about the Denon's I think you will hate the Beyers and find them really muddy and boomy.

I know - I was just being humourous. :)

I am struggling with them tbh, not because they are closed because, as I said on my post above, I have used close cans before and know that it's a totally different experience. The ATH M50's I had before were pretty good bass wise but also had greater definition and separation 'for me'.

The 7000's sound muddled and the bass is simply overblowing everything. They sound no different now than they did last night, which I accept may be an unrealistic time period.

Question - are the AH-D2000/5000 equally as strong bass wise or do they offer more definition?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Paulq: I just thought... If what eggontoast is saying about the closed nature of the sound being a turn-off for you is true. Perhaps you could try out some lower end closed cans like the ATH-M50, DT770 or HD25-1 II for a few weeks first and then go back to the D7000s. This could give you a very nice perspective on the 'quality' of the Denons.

For me having to be used to the extremely closed nature of the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs for work probably helped me to fully appreciate to the D7000 sound...

Just a thought, it may not be too easy. Do you have any friends with some phones like this?

Hi quadpatch

Thanks for that. To be honest my journey with closed backs actually started with a pair of ATH-M50's which I liked but I guess like us all, I was looking for heapdphone nirvana. This is gonna sound outrageous but 'to me' the M50's were better than the Denons as they simply didn't have any of the muddy sound that I experienced last night and today. The Denons were, for me, intended to be a next step.

So I 'think' I am ok with the expectation that I will have a different experience with closed than open and have witnessed both. I am just really struggling to listen to anything through them at the moment.

A

Anonymous

In my view, expensive does not mean better. I've spent up to £300 on headphones and currently enjoy my Senn HD202s and AKG K450s tremendously for home and portable use respectively. If you're not happy send them back and get your money back.
smiley-cool.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
From what you have said I don't think any of the Denon's are going to be for you, just send them back and try something else......maybe some Audio Technica ATH-W1000X.

Thats what I want to go for next
smiley-laughing.gif
I've heard they should be very good for the type of music I listen to...very good with vocals.

@ Paulq - I know what you mean about the Grado's.....I love the sound of these and as listed in a separate thread have actually undertaken a number of modifications to them....which has tamed the treble a little bit.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
eggontoast said:
From what you have said I don't think any of the Denon's are going to be for you, just send them back and try something else......maybe some Audio Technica ATH-W1000X.

smiley-laughing.gif
I've heard they should be very good for the type of music I listen to...very good with vocals.

@ Paulq - I know what you mean about the Grado's.....I love the sound of these and as listed in a separate thread have actually undertaken a number of modifications to them....which has tamed the treble a little bit.

I don't find the Grado's too bright at all Jason - never have done and I still really like them.

Just to make you jealous, the ATH W1000x are one of the 3 I have ordered and will be here this week :rofl: :grin:

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I think that's where my head is at too Graham. Today I have ordered 3 pairs of closed cans.

Whichever I like best I will stick hold of but at least that will give me a chance to compare side by side and I will base the decision on sound not price tag.

Next week is gonna be a good week :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Paulq said:
Jason36 said:
eggontoast said:

smiley-laughing.gif

I don't find the Grado's too bright at all Jason - never have done and I still really like them.

Just to make you jealous, the ATH W1000x are one of the 3 I have ordered and will be here this week :rofl: :grin:

I suppose I should rephrase that....I dont find them bright either.....however I have punched four holes into the driver membrane, which increases the bass :) I always come back to the Grado's especially if I am listening to rock type music. Highly detailed and dynamic sounding headphones.

Let me know how you get on with the W1000's.....what sort of music do you tend to listen to? What other headphones have you ordered?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts