Denon Headphones - which

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I listen to mainly Classic Rock music - AC/DC, Zeppelin, UFO etc but with some contemporary stuff as well. I have high hopes for the ATH W1000x as I loved the M50's and am now regretting selling them.

So the 3 are W100x, ATH M50's and DT770 Pro (250 ohm).

Gonna be a good week :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Paulq said:
I listen to mainly Classic Rock music - AC/DC, Zeppelin, UFO etc but with some contemporary stuff as well. I have high hopes for the ATH W1000x as I loved the M50's and am now regretting selling them.

Pretty much the same as me then, although I do also listen to a lot of female vocal stuff as well....such as Sophie Zelmani, Anne DiFranco, Fiona Apple etc etc.

I think as mentioned on here by Eggontoast if you do not like the Denon's bass you won't get on with the DT770 Pro. I was warned off them by a few people.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
ATH-W1000X are very good, but I found the ATH-W5000 absolutely stunning and wonderfully open. Very little of that sound I associate with closed back headphones.

Unfortunately with my budget and needs I am more likely to get the AH-D2000 :cry:

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Pretty much the same as me then, although I do also listen to a lot of female vocal stuff as well....such as Sophie Zelmani, Anne DiFranco, Fiona Apple etc etc.

I think as mentioned on here by Eggontoast if you do not like the Denon's bass you won't get on with the DT770 Pro. I was warned off them by a few people.

Yep me too but more of Within Temptation, Evanescence et al but do like Aimee Mann, 'Til Tuesday kinda stuff too along with Sam Brown. Pretty similar.

Yep the more I read the more I believe that and can see the Beyers going back quickly which is surprising as I have a set of their DTX101 IEM's and they are fantastic. I can see me keeping the W1000x's and if I hide them from the Mrs possibly the M50's for sentimental value as well. The more I hear and read the bigger a fan of Audio Technica I become. Am very tempted to snatch a pair of portable ATH-ESW9A before they all go...... :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:

Wow you really went nuts huh :). Did you manage to return the D7000s ok? Where did you get them from btw? Got mine from Advanced MP3 Players.

I hope you have much better luck with those 3 headphones. I'm very keen to hear what you think of all of these after the Denon but especially the ATH W1000x, I much preffer the asthetics of the W1000x over the D7000.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Wow you really went nuts huh :). Did you manage to return the D7000s ok? Where did you get them from btw? Got mine from Advanced MP3 Players.

I hope you have much better luck with those 3 headphones. I'm very keen to hear what you think of all of these after the Denon but especially the ATH W1000x, I much preffer the asthetics of the W1000x over the D7000.

Yeah but I don't intend to keep all 3, just the one that matches my tastes most closely and I can compare them side by side this way. You watch, I bet I end up back where I started and keeping the ATH M50's :wall:

A

Anonymous

Good to see you're testing a range of prices. Looking forward to your reviews of the three! :) Enjoy your listening sessions paulq.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
Good to see you're testing a range of prices. Looking forward to your reviews of the three! :) Enjoy your listening sessions paulq.

Thanks Graham I will. Aside from the excitement of listening to them all I am really curious to satisfy my own mind as to whether more expensive is necessarily better. This if course will only apply to me; others will draw different conclusions ut it will be interesting nonetheless. Do you 'always get what you pay for'.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Thanks Graham I will. Aside from the excitement of listening to them all I am really curious to satisfy my own mind as to whether more expensive is necessarily better. This if course will only apply to me; others will draw different conclusions ut it will be interesting nonetheless. Do you 'always get what you pay for'.
I think everyone thinks this at some point and of course everyone draws there own conclusions. For me I believe you get what you pay for to a point, but there are definitely diminishing returns and it is where you set this point in terms of cost.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that a pair of Grado RS1's don't sound better than a pair of SR80's. The same is true for most product lines such as the Denon AH-D2000's to the AH-D7000's they are quite easy to compare because its apple's for apple's. It becomes more difficult to quantify though when comparing different brands such as the Denon's and the Grado's as you start comparing apple's for orange's.

BTW where are you purchasing these cans from ?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Yep I did though have been away all week so only got my hands on them last night for a cursory listen. Initial (and I mean very initial) impressions:

ATH-M50 - surprisingly not as I remember them and certainly not as engaging as my recollection. I won't be keeping them.

ATH W1000x - certainly more detailed than the Denons and whilst very classy am not yet sure that they have enough 'oomph' for me. Not quite enough bass but that may improve.

DT770 Pro (250 ohm) - loved them in every respect but should probably have got the 80 ohm as I suspect they'll need an amp. Any amp recommendations or is the 80 ohm just a better bet?

Will have a more thorough play over the weekend and report in for duty :)

Cheers

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think this thread is a good example that people hear things completely differently.

It's obvious from your feedback on the headphones that we both have completely different opinions on all of the cans you have tried so I'm out of here. Good luck in your quest.

A

Anonymous

eggy, why leave? Part of the debate is differing opinions and that's a good thing in life. It's only initial impressions anyway, so I, for one, am looking forward to more reviews from Paul.

Do report in paulq.
smiley-cool.gif

Try the 80 ohm DT770s rather than another chain of electronics in my opinion......

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to rush you Paul, take a couple of days and give us a more opinions when you have had some time to relax with them.

I have been using the DT770 Pro (80ohm) version at work for the past 2 weeks now and I find them ok. They are too flat and rather boring for my liking. The 80ohm version struggles to be driven from a phone or even my work computer which is rediculous, my 70ohm Sennheisers would be bursting my eardrums at 100% through my PC.

Do you think that the DT770 was better than the Audio Technica?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Quadpatch/Graham - it's no bother at all I am as keen as you to find out what each of them are like.

It is incredible how so many people hear things differently isn't it? To be honest my impressions today are the same as yesterday really. The W1000x are a bit light for me and a lot brighter than I anticipated they would be; they are great for classical and female vocals but I found them wanting listening to stuff like the Sisters of Mercy - just not enough bottom end.

I am actually beginning to question my auditory function and wonder whether I am looking for a sound that doesn't exist. It's hard to describe as I 'know' what I am looking for but can't explain it.

I am at a stage where the Beyers are the only keepers, if any, but feel they would need an amp and, as suggested I am not sure that the 80 ohm may not be a better option? However I have read that they are considered an 'average' headphone when my initial quest was to find me a set of premium, long term cans - I am still searching!

Here's something I have hesitated to post. In the airport this week I messed about with a pair of Monster Beat Studio Pro's - and liked them!! I just can't bring myself to buy them!! :)

Finally, thanks to you guys for your input and suggestions - I know it can be a bit wearing when someone can't make their mind up :). All other suggestions very welcome!

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is crazy that we all hear so many difference... Interesting that you found the Audio Technica's to be rather bass-shy, I was half expecting them to be similar to the Denon's with a powerful low end. Anyway... Like a lot of others probably will be too, I am shocked that you were impressed so much by a pair of Beats! I have heard all of these in shops and really didn't like them. Each to their own of course, if you really like them then go for it although I would be worried that you'd loose that impression once you got them home so advise further testing.

As for the Beyer's: Have you considered a slight budget bump (£800) to fit the Tesla T1 in as an option? Perhaps they carry the same audio characteristics that you like from these lower end versions.

Since you mentioned wanting something with a weighty low end: Have you considered the Audeze LCD-2? These, like the Tesla T1's, would require a budget extention (£800). I have not heard these myself and finding somewhere to test them could be difficult (like many other high end phones to be fair) but from what I have heard they are very revealing and with strong bass. They are the number 1, highest scoring headphone (from users) on the Head-Fi forums and is the only thing that beats the Sennheiser HD800.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Fear not - the experiment with the Beats was no more than the signs of a bored man in an airport - I didn't like them THAT much.

Will take a look at the ones you suggest though are the T1's not open back?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh Damn I forgot about the closed back issue... uhhh yeah I think both the T1 and LCD-2 are open... crap! You had to be difficult didn't you :p

The only other super headphones that I know of that are closed are the Ultrosone Edition 8's but they are about £1200!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Ha - that's me!

To be honest I just think I am gonna have to compromise on what I want. If the DT770's rock my boat then that will do for me.

A question about them though - do the 80 ohm sound different than the 250? Or is the 250 with an amp a better bet?

I may also have to accept that I may not get a closed back that suits me and will either stick with my SR80i's or go for something like a DT880/990 or something else.

I have also had a squiz at the Beyer T70 (250 Ohm) and they look nice too. I am just leaning toward Beyer as the IEM's I have are fantastic so I have a bit of faith in the brand.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought I would come back and add a little more to this:

I know our opinions of the AH-D7000's didn't line up but... I just tried a pair of AH-D1100's in a John Lewis and had to go straight out and buy them. They are way more closed than the D7000 so perfect for me at work. They are not in the same league as the D7000's of course but you can really tell that they are from the same breed, I really like the bass and mids. I thought that since you like the DT770 you could have both for way less than the D7000. I picked up the D1100 for £70!

As for the impedance of the DT770: A friend of mine said he much prefered the sound from the 600ohm version when amplified properly so maybe it's worth trying to get hold of them.

Speaking of amplifying, I removed the DAC/amp from my D7000 last night because I couldn't be bothered to get it and the sound just fell apart. My amp is nothing special but it just got me thinking that maybe the D7000's are picky about what they are driven from. Not saying that your system is bad, just wondering if you tried to drive them from many different sources?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi quadpatch

To be honest I think source is already ok as I am told that the DAC and the HP output from the Linn is already pretty decent. As you would imagine I have to crank it up a bit higher for decent volume of the 250 ohm DT770's but it doesn't struggle. That said, temptation got the better of me and I'm waiting for a Graham Slee Novo to be delivered to see if it improves them further.

Take your point ref the 1100 though I hadn't really considered them.

What I have noticed this week is that, by comparison, my SR80i's seem to sound distictly anaemic after a period with the 770's though I am sure it's an 'ear' thing rather than any previously unnoticed deficiency with the cans as I have loved them for a long time. I am definitely tempted by a pair of DT990's at the moment and to see how they far as an open back alternative to the Grados.

I think I have developed headphoneaddictiveitis. :clap:

A

Anonymous

Paulq said:

Me too, in fact, I used to have upgradeheadphoneaddictiveitis......

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Hi quadpatch

To be honest I think source is already ok as I am told that the DAC and the HP output from the Linn is already pretty decent. As you would imagine I have to crank it up a bit higher for decent volume of the 250 ohm DT770's but it doesn't struggle. That said, temptation got the better of me and I'm waiting for a Graham Slee Novo to be delivered to see if it improves them further.

Take your point ref the 1100 though I hadn't really considered them.

What I have noticed this week is that, by comparison, my SR80i's seem to sound distictly anaemic after a period with the 770's though I am sure it's an 'ear' thing rather than any previously unnoticed deficiency with the cans as I have loved them for a long time. I am definitely tempted by a pair of DT990's at the moment and to see how they far as an open back alternative to the Grados.

Hey Paul,

The more I try different headphones the more I think I shouldn't under-estimate that 'ear' thing. My opinion of the Grados and the BeyerDynamic has changed a great deal over the past couple of weeks. The lack of bass on the Grado is getting difficult to live with after the Denons but although I initially had that with the 770 as well I seem to be getting used to it and today I was listening to a bit of music and suddenly the bass just started kicking like I didn't think it was capable of.

Aren't the 990 supposed to be quite bass heavy? or am I getting them mixed up with another one?

Oh wow... a Graham Slee Novo huh? awesome!! Please let us know how it compares?

headphoneaddictiveitis?... you are among friends here Paul :)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi again

Yeah I think the DT990's are supposed to be bass heavy but I do quite like that sound as long as it's not muddled like I perceived the Denon's to be. To be honest I think my closed back quest is done as I am happy with the DT770's and am looking forward to further familiarising myself with them and also experimenting with the Novo.

The DT990's (update - which I have ordered this morning :) ) will be a direct replacement for the SR80i's if I like them as, being sensible, I simply don't need both. I will have a play with them tomorrow and if am happy then will keep both the Beyers. If not then I may try the HD650's despite my previous Sennheiser experiences being less than favourable.

I think someone else in this thread mentioned that headphones are a very individual thing and what one hears another may not. Personally I have learned to just go with what is right for you, regardless of price point and 'status' of headphone.

My system is the same; it's not the ideal combo for some but I love the sound it gives to me. I suspect however that my next little mission will be a speaker upgrade :beer: :beer:

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Paulq said:
The DT990's (update - which I have ordered this morning :) ) will be a direct replacement for the SR80i's if I like them as, being sensible, I simply don't need both. I will have a play with them tomorrow and if am happy then will keep both the Beyers. If not then I may try the HD650's despite my previous Sennheiser experiences being less than favourable.

Heresy - Only one Pair of Headphones, dont let EggonToast here you say that :rofl:

You are very right though, like HiFi systems, and probably more so in the case of headphones, they are a very personal taste and what someone hears can be totally different to another person. However I do agree on the Denon front....I found the AHD2000 to have a very muddled base sound that I couldnt get on with, and sold them very quickly.

My next purchases will be either the Audeze LCD-2, HiFiMan HE-5LE or Audio Technica ATH W1000...I would also like to hear the AKG K550

However whichever one of these I decide on will be in addition to my AKG K271's, Modified Grado SR80i's with Bocote Wooden Cups and my Grado based Magnum v4's with Hawaiian Koa Cups, Rewire and Aluminium Gimbals.

Now that is Headphonecollectivitis :grin:

Just as an aside and if you decide to keep the Grados and dont mind messing around with them....there are a number of things you can do that will improve the sound, especially the base response. However this may make them unsellable in the future and will void any warranty you may have left. See my thread - "Grado SR80 Modifications - What have I done?"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts