Denon DVD1730/1740/1930/1940 versus Toshiba SD370 + standalone CD player

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello all. I've been a reader of the mag for knocking on ten years now, so thought it about time I took advantage of this new fangled web thingy and asked a more specific question.

I bought a Denon AVR1707 last week (priced to match the 1507), and paired it with my Tannoy EFX5.1 speakers (previously used in a bedroom home cinema setup, but totally wasted in that context really). After a bit of playing about I'm happy with the basic sound - even the stereo soundstage is reasonably believable if a little narrow. However, my next plan had been to upgrade the DVD player. And this is where I can't make my mind up...

The current DVD player is a rather old and little used Pioneer DV360. A very good player, but without any kind of upscaling, and slightly limited stereo abilities. It is playing through a Samsung 26" LCD (71 series - I forget the exact model number), and pictures are already very nice but I can see room for improvement. The TV may be upgraded to a 32" in the future, but that's about as large as we dare go without the room looking like there's a huge great black-hole in the corner.

Considering the Feuhrer isn't too keen on me adding proper stereo speakers to the mix I'm currently stuck with satellites. This means stereo output isn't going to be blindingly good. But I want to make the most of a bad job really. Do I plump for one of the Denon models, which will match nicely with the receiver and keep the harmony at home for a little longer, or should I go for the Toshiba, and spend the money I save (probably around the £100-150 mark) on a seperate CD player?

I read on here somewhere that one of the Denon's had comparable stereo output to a £150 CD player. If this is the case then the one-box option might buy me some brownie points. But if I can get a CD player that will blow the Denon's stereo performace out of the water then it might be worth me plumping for that and seeing if I can negotiate to get a pair of stereo speakers at a later date. That said, there's no point spending £150 on a CD player if the receiver isn't going to do it justice.

Your advice would be gratefully received. Without having sufficient experience in the home cinema area I'm a bit perplexed by it all.

A

Anonymous

I'd be surprised if any decent CD player didnt blow most DVD players out of the water though the latest issue reviewed a Cambridge Audio DVD player which the team said held its own on CD playback. I plumped for a CA 740C while I wait for the HD-DVD / Blu Ray thing to blow over. For one reason I listen to a lot more music than I watch movies so I preferred the better quality CD playback plus I didnt feel like blowing good money on a top of the line DVD player when it could well be obsolete in the short term. Who knows.
I'm using a Denon AVR-4306 and it really sings with the new CD player so I wouldnt worry too much on paying for a good CD player - I went through the same quandary as you and ended up plumping for the CD player if that helps at all.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Damien. I think quandary was the word I was looking for when I posted my message. It describes things perfectly.

I think you might be right on the CD vs DVD debate. I'm just tempted to try out onboard upscaling, and then trying out my take on the Component vs HDMI debate - it's a case of upgrade-itis more than anything else, I suppose.

The receiver will probably be used more for music, but mainly in the context of listening to the radio when nothing much is on TV (though with Cable coming at the start of next month, I can see TV becoming more dominant). CD's don't get listened to much in the living room - I have a ten year old Marantz/Tannoy setup running in my room (I'm still happy with it after ten years - no upgrade-itis there), which is where most of my CD's get an airing, as well as the car. However, this is more an old habit, as the old mini-system in the living room wasn't great, so a better system might encourage more CD listening.

I guess starting with a CD player isn't such a bad option as a first step - if it doesn't serve any purpose I might just use it to start an upgrade of my old system instead...

Anybody else want to throw anything into the mix?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts