Denon DVD-2500BT

A

Anonymous

Thats £649 too much ,mate!!! If you're thinking of buying that pile of rubbish,please don't!!!

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
what hifi don't seem to think so as its in their top 5 blu ray players but i guess you must know better. Anyway never said i was buying it just passing on some info to fellow forum members

A

Anonymous

Yes I do know better I'm the hopefully temporary owner of one.

word for the wise: don't beleive everything you read in WHSV

A

Anonymous

What issues have you had with your DVD-2500BT, saturday?

I was hoping to purchase one here in Australia, but there is not one made for the Australian market as yet. Rumours are a February 2009 appearance here in Australia. I ended up settling for a Pioneer BDP-LX71, which I have been happy with picture and sound quality, but not impressed with slow disc load-up times and in general, is not as smooth an operator (working in conjunction with my Marantz AV8003 Surround Processor/Pre-Amplifier) as my previous Panasonic DMP-BD30 (which also was much quicker to load SD DVD's and Blu-ray discs).

A

Anonymous

g'day mate!

the correct question should be:"what issues have 99.9% of owners had with this player"

tTe answer is freezing on playback of bd live laden bd discs,to such an extent that the player becomes inoperable.This can only rectified by pulling the power lead out and restarting the machine!!!

To rub salt into the wound Denon Uk have no interest in this sorry state of affairs.Attempts to contact them are ignored.

Go to forums on this website and click on home cinema.Look for topic "Denon2500 bd playback issues".

A

Anonymous

Is that £649 for a working one, or £649 for a non working one...?! Actually, with a bit of friendly chat to a dealer you could probably get even better - I was amazed what I got my Kuro for after thinking the TLC price was already good....

Hey Dantan - Have a look through some recent threads here, there's been a couple pointing to the glitchy nature of the Denon it seems, although, other users are also reporting no problems at all.....

There's definitely some bedding in problems going on in some of these early top end players...and it seems from reports that it's a regular bunch of discs that keep causing the problems. As Claire has pointed out, it's like DVD all over again...ÿ

But it's not just the Denon. As I added in a thread, the Marantz BD8002 (out much longer) is also showing itself to be buggy. I was waiting for reviews of the Pioneer LX91 before I made my mind up, although I'm now tempted by Denon's Universal player, which is due out in Singapore in Feb.....Don't know, might just give them all time to get things working...!!

A

Anonymous

Assume you got proof that you're a proffesor and a minefield of info on all things technical?

Look at the forum on this website or just google "denon 2500bt playback issues" pal

A

Anonymous

really? ok you do the math and see how many people ,apart from WHSV are pleased with the performance of the player.In the cold light of day does an exact figure really matter.The point is ,there are from forums etc that I've visited alot more unhappy punters than there are happy ones.

Do you think it right especially in these depressive economic times that a company like Denon for example should be getting away with this type of shoddy treatment of their customers.No reply to emails ,telephone call,dealer attempts at contact etc. Afterall its our hard earned cash which keeps them in business isn't it?

so "exact figures "be damned.Theres an obvious problem:make attempts to fix them.

Sliced Bread

saturday:
g'day mate!

the correct question should be:"what issues have 99.9% of owners had with this player"

tTe answer is freezing on playback of bd live laden bd discs,to such an extent that the player becomes inoperable.This can only rectified by pulling the power lead out and restarting the machine!!!

To rub salt into the wound Denon Uk have no interest in this sorry state of affairs.Attempts to contact them are ignored.

Go to forums on this website and click on home cinema.Look for topic "Denon2500 bd playback issues".

I can't comment on the reliability of the machine as I do not own one (although the picture was stunning at the WHF show, even on a large projected screen...honestly, I was very impressed), but I have to agree with you on the customer service.

I love my Denon DVD player and I used to love my old 3802 amp, however when it developed a fault I tried to contact Denons customer service many many many many many (you get the idea) times. Both by e-mail and to a telephone, which is never answered and goes to voice mail. Not one e-mail or voice mail was ever returned!

Worst customer service I have experienced, and that's saying something when it's up against Sony ;O)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
saturday:
really? ok you do the math and see how many people ,apart from WHSV are pleased with the performance of the player.In the cold light of day does an exact figure really matter.The point is ,there are from forums etc that I've visited alot more unhappy punters than there are happy ones.

Do you think it right especially in these depressive economic times that a company like Denon for example should be getting away with this type of shoddy treatment of their customers.No reply to emails ,telephone call,dealer attempts at contact etc. Afterall its our hard earned cash which keeps them in business isn't it?

so "exact figures "be damned.Theres an obvious problem:make attempts to fix them.

Oh Dear, someones not a very happy bunny !!

First of all "saturday" take some real deep breaths & tell yourself im only getting worked up over a bluray player? Now just because youve had a bad experience with the Denon doesnt mean we all have, i was almost as arrogant as you when my pioneer lx70a used to always freeze & crash.
But the problems i were having with the Pioneer others were not, but i didnt go on a witch hunt for pioneer i simply were just unlucky took the player back & got a different one ie the denon 2500bt were ive had no problems with it at all, so hopefully ive got lucky with the denon.
WHSV are absolutely spot on with the review of this player, i couldnt of written it better myself.
So just chill buddy, take it back & get a pioneer !! End of story !!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
saturday:
Assume you got proof that you're a proffesor and a minefield of info on all things technical?

Look at the forum on this website or just google "denon 2500bt playback issues" pal

And yes "prof hat" is a minefield of info ! Hes a big contributor on these forums & no im not out for a brown nose, im just stating a fact an obvious one at that !

A

Anonymous

Maybe you're right.NOT!

It's nonchalant attitudes like yours that allows companies etc.to get away with providing bad customer service. Arrogant?No anger is the correct word.so I can do without your condescending attitude BUDDY!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Please do not attack other members. While we can understand you are annoyed about the problems you have encountered, abusing other Forum members is against house rules and will not be tolerated.

A

Anonymous

jase fox:ÿWHSV are absolutely spot on with the review of this player, i couldnt of written it better myself.

Yes...When working.

Look, the bottom line, regardless of all the fighting this way or that, is that this Denon clearly is not 100%. Nor are other players as I have previously said. New technology, new hardware, new software, different standards all all obviously taking their toll.....

It's great if you have a player that shows no problems. It's rubbish ifÿunfortunatelyÿyou do not. I don't see the point inÿsquabbling from either side of the fence. It's quite clear from reports here, and from various other forums around the world there are problems - and which don't seem isolated.

The only thing that I feel is a certain, as has been pointed out, is thatÿmanufacturersÿshould be acting more responsibly and in my opinion, moving a lot faster, even if just to give feedback. It's poor PR otherwise and not something I would have thought could be afforded in the economic year ahead. To give an example, it's stopped me in my tracks and pretty much crossed the Denon 3800 off my short list. Not because I don't think it's a great piece of hardware which it clearly is, but by association to the 2500 model and the complaints of poor feedback from Denon - I just don't want the gamble.

Subjective quality issues I can handle, but NO one should expect to part with £1.5k, and wonder on the way home if what they have purchased is going to work 100% or not........ÿ

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
SC:
jase fox:ÿWHSV are absolutely spot on with the review of this player, i couldnt of written it better myself.

Yes...When working.

Look, the bottom line, regardless of all the fighting this way or that, is that this Denon clearly is not 100%. Nor are other players as I have previously said. New technology, new hardware, new software, different standards all all obviously taking their toll.....

It's great if you have a player that shows no problems. It's rubbish ifÿunfortunatelyÿyou do not. I don't see the point inÿsquabbling from either side of the fence. It's quite clear from reports here, and from various other forums around the world there are problems - and which don't seem isolated.

The only thing that I feel is a certain, as has been pointed out, is thatÿmanufacturersÿshould be acting more responsibly and in my opinion, moving a lot faster, even if just to give feedback. It's poor PR otherwise and not something I would have thought could be afforded in the economic year ahead. To give an example, it's stopped me in my tracks and pretty much crossed the Denon 3800 off my short list. Not because I don't think it's a great piece of hardware which it clearly is, but by association to the 2500 model and the complaints of poor feedback from Denon - I just don't want the gamble.

Subjective quality issues I can handle, but NO one should expect to part with £1.5k, and wonder on the way home if what they have purchased is going to work 100% or not........ÿ
Mine is working !

but? yes i do take on board what youve said & ive always said that if i knew what i know now i wouldnt of jumped on the bluray bandwagon when i did, i would of waited until its properly sorted itself out, but unfortunately most of us have the bluray addiction im afraid, were its very hard to go back.

Its not just the likes of Denon & pioneer that have had teething problems but also from sony, panasonic etc we just have to hope were gonna get a good trustworthy player, i think the only piece of kit that i dont think has had any freezing issues is the PS3 ! now if sony have got that right from the off why not there dedicated players?
It is a frustrating technology to say the least but we just have to plod along with it.

We either down tools & wait another year or so or take the gamble now?
(touch wood) my denons working beautifully & giving me alot of viewing pleasure i just hope it lasts.

A

Anonymous

jase fox:Mine is working !

I know mate, that was some of my point ! It's great yours is going strong and I've seen you say so a number of times. But I've just become hesitant on the whole issue as there's just a few too many complaints out there. Yes, it's other brandsÿalso, as I've said elsewhere it was probably going to be the top end Marantz that I wanted to check out most, but this seems plagued too....

It's all a pain and makes you scratch your head at the farce of it all....I want to jump on it all too, believe me, as I have a 50" Kuro winging it's way to me, but really don't feel confident splashing cash on a HD source just yet, which is a shame to say the least.......ÿ

A

Anonymous

SC, buy a cheap machine for now mate and watch as things settle down next year and get a top end machine, glitch free for less!

A

Anonymous

Yeah I guess, just seems madness, and a waste, that this seems the safest thing to do - you'd think it would be the other way round hey !

I can wait, I'm not really in a rush...I want to concentrate on upgrading and changing everything else before a BD comes in anyway....

Hey Gander, as a complete aside, what sub are you running with your Motive package ?ÿ

A

Anonymous

an m&k sb8. I auditioned it alongside the velodyne spl800r but didnt think it gave me much more than the sb8 to warrant another 150 quid. The velodyne was a bit smoother and looks nicer.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Blimey, it did get heated here while I was away! Anyway, my point was, there are always lots of posts when a product isn't working for someone as that's the reason they post, to find out if there's a fix. So very little posts from people who have working machines means nothing. When was the last time you bought a piece of equipment, found it working fine and thought, "Right, I must now go on the internet and let everyone know this is working fine". It just doesn't happen.
Yup, your problems are not great for a player which costs that much, but I've found in my lifetime, the higher end the machine, the more likely it is to have issues. I had a very expensive Denon DVD player for quite some time which was very picky and wouldn't play some DVDs whereas an incredibly cheap Toshiba DVD player I had played everything you threw at it. It was annoying, but far from the end of the world and I'm pretty sure there is a good technical reason for it (look at the new Cyrus SE CD players which are also quite picky on the discs they will play). The main thing was, the performance of the Denon on most DVDs was sublime and that's why I put up with it.
Denon should probably be doing better than they are, but let's face it, it is not a good time of year for this sort of thing - let's wait and see what response WHF get in January on the problem and then judge them.
Oh, btw, I'm not a real professor.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I thought it was about time you all knew...
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts