Denon DVD 1940 + Linn Numerik

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm wondering if I can connect the digital out of my DVD player to the second digital input on my Numerik? If so, do I need to pay any particular attention to cable specs? I'd need a fairly long one, if possible, around 2m or more.

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, but you'll only get audio with CDs, DVDs with standard PCM soundtracks and with soundtracks downmixed in the player to stereo.

In other words, you'll get either nothing or digital noise if you try to punt Dolby Digital or DTS through it.

A

Anonymous

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Yep, I'm only expecting stereo so that's no problem. My 5.1 system is packed away for the moment and I just want a better quality stereo sound than from my TV (not that it's awful, just I imagine it could be better through my stereo equipment).

I know very little about DVD sound tracks, so I should just check a couple of things...(i) do most/all DVD's have a 'standard PCM soundtrack' and (ii) I can't damage my Numerik by using it this way?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Most do have such a soundtrack, for compatibility reasons, and no, you won't damage the Numerik - it will either mute if it can't decode what it's receiving, or send a nasty digital hash through the speakers. This will just sound unpleasant, and won't any damage unless you have the level cranked right up, where there's just the outside chance of some speaker damage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts