Denon DM38DAB noise when playing cd

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone had a noise problem from the dm38 when playing cds? Mine has an audible scratchy machine noise when playing cds, very intrusive when playing quiet stuff! Not sure if it's just running in (if they do that...), or if it's a bad one.

It's my first post, please help!!

Thanks ;-)

matthewpiano

It depends on how loud the noise is and where the unit is in relation to you. All CD transports make some mechanical noise and with the vents being directly above the transport on the Denon there isn't much insulation to cut that sound out. Is it just like a chattering noise?

Having said all that, it isn't something you should put up with in my opinion. I've had a few noisy CD players (NAD and Marantz can both be bad for this), but my current Rotel is very quiet indeed.

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've got a dm37 in my bedroom so I just nipped up to have a listen as I'm sure mine doesn't do this.

On startup there is a slight whirring sound, presumably as the cd drive moves into position. This lasts for about two seconds and stops before the music starts playing. once the music started I turned the volume right down and I couldn't hear anything at all intrusive from the drive,

As for running in, I don't think so, mine was like this out of the box. Think you have a duff one mate, take it back and swap it for a new one. I wouldn't let this put you off either, Its a cracking system imho, just read the revue in this months mag.

Hope this helps.

Cliff.

A

Anonymous

thanks for replying! The noise is an obvious machine noise, the cd going round, like it does on start up of any cd in any player I've had, but it continues rather than stops which is what I'd expect.The machine is about 10ft away, albeit directly in front of me, but I tried moving it to the side but the noise was still intrusive. Thankfully (sort of...) it's from Richer Sounds and they will swap it and I'll have a really good listen in the shop to the new one before coming home!!

I'm kind of nervous about another Denon DM38DAB but don't know where to go after it as I like the sound a lot, it suits what I play perfectly. There's only a couple of hundred (only!!) to play with excluding speakers. Any thoughts much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

hello cliff,

thanks for the message. the normal noises you describe are what I'd expect but it continues into the playing...back to Richer Sounds we go...when it's swapped for a new one it will be my FOURTH player from them since March...am I the unluckiest person on here!!?? A Cambridge Audio Sonata wouldn't pick up any DAB signal, a ONE+ decided after 4 months to mute any radio noise, DAB and FM, and now this Denon giving me a nightmare...it should be huge fun buying a hifi!!!

But, the Denon, loudish, is the best sound for me, so I won't give up just yet!!

best wishes,

Graeme

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts