Denon dl103 V Otofon 2m blue

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard a friend's DL103R on his Rega P3-24 (Primare amp + ATC SCM11 speakers).

At the same time he bought that, I owned a Rega P2 with Ortofon 2M Blue (with Nait 5i + Naim nSat speakers).

So therefore I heard both set-ups in different rooms, with different music and different systems. (Even the DL103R is different to the 'original' DL103 that you are asking about.)

Not very useful i'm afraid.

Obviously I preferred what I was listening to with my P2/2M Blue/Naim system (I would wouldn't I?) but the DL103R had it's moments.

The DL103 is a big old slice of history (designed for Japan's national radio broadcaster in 1963) and modern stylus profiles have come on a long way since. (The DL103 has a spherical stylus and tracks at 2.5 grammes.)

Personally I would go for neither nowadays and opt instead for a Shure M97XE for about £75 (Stylus replacement about half that, so cheap enough to get in a brace of spare stylii and still spend less than buying one Ortofon 2M Blue.)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
I have heard a friend's DL103R on his Rega P3-24 (Primare amp + ATC SCM11 speakers).

At the same time he bought that, I owned a Rega P2 with Ortofon 2M Blue (with Nait 5i + Naim nSat speakers).

So therefore I heard both set-ups in different rooms, with different music and different systems. (Even the DL103R is different to the 'original' DL103 that you are asking about.)

Not very useful i'm afraid.

Obviously I preferred what I was listening to with my P2/2M Blue/Naim system (I would wouldn't I?) but the DL103R had it's moments.

The DL103 is a big old slice of history (designed for Japan's national radio broadcaster in 1963) and modern stylus profiles have come on a long way since. (The DL103 has a spherical stylus and tracks at 2.5 grammes.)

Personally I would go for neither nowadays and opt instead for a Shure M97XE for about £75 (Stylus replacement about half that, so cheap enough to get in a brace of spare stylii and still spend less than buying one Ortofon 2M Blue.)
Merci beaucoup...Chebby

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
they really are chalk and cheese. I can not understand what the fuss is about with the 103, unless you listen to a lot of Jazz on vinyl, in which case it may make some sense. As one is a MC and the other a MM, what phono stage would you be using? As a passing thought, do you have the 103, or would it be a new purchase.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
respe said:
they really are chalk and cheese. I can not understand what the fuss is about with the 103, unless you listen to a lot of Jazz on vinyl, in which case it may make some sense. As one is a MC and the other a MM, what phono stage would you be using? As a passing thought, do you have the 103, or would it be a new purchase.

I have neither, have only listend too the otofon.

Working on simular priced cartridge.

Will be for a future purchase [hopefully] using my tabriz on a gyro se.

I would tend to agree with chebby in that the Shure is probably a better choice than the bog-standard 103.

I have used a 103R on a Tabriz arm with Radius turntable and, correctly set-up with a good phono preamp it really is a stunner for the money. I cannot comment on the Ortofon as have never heard one in any set-up.

Like respe says if you go for the denon you are going to have to factor in the cost of a phono stage of some kind, which can often defeat the object. Better to by a better quality moving magnet if your amp already has a phono stage built in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts