Denon DBO2012UD finally going back.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I bought this player 3 months ago, and from day one experienced loud whirring noise on random blu ray discs. This did not happen with DVDs or CDs.

I assumed this would be rectified by a firmware update, I finally got round to getting a 8m Ethernet cable and did the update. No better. In fact I've had 3 discs rendered unwatchable due to the loud noise, since the update.

So I got in touch with Superfi and also spoke to Denon. Denon denied knowledge of this problem, although there is mention of it on other forums. Probably caused by the different spin rates of BDs. So it's going back on Friday. They'll probably check it and send it back unaltered, but I've given them some title names so hopefully they'll try it with those.

Now using my Sony S570 from the lounge. In terms of PQ (and CD SQ) its noticeably not as good, but the wireless and Smart functions make up for this.

Ill never spend so much on a BDP again, it cost me 450, but the original 750 is taking the ****. The more you spend the less you get.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I am sorry to hear of your problems with this machine I bought one in jan of this year and had no such problems good luck I hope it is repaired to your satisfaction all the best

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cheers.

I don't think it'll be a refund so hopefully it'll be fixed and good to go.

Thing is I'm using the Sony and not missing the Denon.

Had a Marantz BD5004 before it which was great. Only changed as I wanted 3d.

hyettdman

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I also bought the denon 2012ud and i experience the same problem with some discs,but i put the disc in and out several times and the noise disapprears or sometimes it won't do it even if it's the same disc. I originaly sent mine back because the disc tray made a clicking sound when opening and closeing. When it came back that issue was sorted and then the problem your describing started up.I won't be sending it back anywhere regardless of the little issue.I'm not jokeing when it arrived back to me after the first fix it looked like it had come from a builders yard it had industrial foam that you fill gaps with sprayed all inside the box and it was dented.If i send mine of again it'll be completly knackered i would think. The problem is they go to other companys that work for the different manafactures and the result is what i had.How mads that!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
hyettdman said:
I also bought the denon 2012ud and i experience the same problem with some discs,but i put the disc in and out several times and the noise disapprears or sometimes it won't do it even if it's the same disc. I originaly sent mine back because the disc tray made a clicking sound when opening and closeing. When it came back that issue was sorted and then the problem your describing started up.I won't be sending it back anywhere regardless of the little issue.I'm not jokeing when it arrived back to me after the first fix it looked like it had come from a builders yard it had industrial foam that you fill gaps with sprayed all inside the box and it was dented.If i send mine of again it'll be completly knackered i would think. The problem is they go to other companys that work for the different manafactures and the result is what i had.How mads that!

Having a similar issue with a 1611UD from Denon

Sent back twice, and they (Denon) found a further fault under test, told them I don't want it (machine now 9 months aold but first fault was at 3 months) told no refunf but a graded replacement!!!

What is that about when you have a machine that you have lost confidence in and cost £450............?

Apparently my contract is with the reseller and he negotiates with the regional sales team, my point to Denon is that my reseller may hold the contract of sale however he is the accredited agent of Denon and as such should have the say as to whether the product should be replaced with new, replaced with graded or refunded.

Denon hold all the cards and pont blank refuse to accept the premise that the product (this one) is not fit for purpose,

fayeanddavid said:
Apparently my contract is with the reseller and he negotiates with the regional sales team, my point to Denon is that my reseller may hold the contract of sale however he is the accredited agent of Denon and as such should have the say as to whether the product should be replaced with new, replaced with graded or refunded.

Denon hold all the cards and pont blank refuse to accept the premise that the product (this one) is not fit for purpose,

That's what the law says. Your contract is with the dealer and not Denon, regardless of how the dealer sorts your issue. Write to the dealer that you're rejecting the product under Sale of Goods Act and ask for a refund.

Check this for further advice:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/DG_182935

There is a lot of advice and letter templates online. Check these:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/sample-letters/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_what_you_can_do_about_faulty_goods_e/complaint_about_faulty_goods.htm

flartybart

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
I have the same player and have noticed this issue a few times but not enough to be concerned. One issue I do have that is irksome though is that almost all films pause for about a second, once or twice during the movie. This sometimes results in sound sync problems which is easily resolved by pausing again.

Anyone else have this problem with this or any other BDP?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
fayeanddavid said:

That's what the law says. Your contract is with the dealer and not Denon, regardless of how the dealer sorts your issue. Write to the dealer that you're rejecting the product under Sale of Goods Act and ask for a refund.

Check this for further advice: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/DG_182935

Thanks BB

All sorted amicably, consumer rights, not fit for purpose, documented etc; all explained to the dealer and now sorted

Thnaks again

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Denons coming back today. Mixed feelings. in for some testing to see if they really bothered doing anything.

Ive been happy using my Sony with its Smart features.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
The Denons coming back today. Mixed feelings. in for some testing to see if they really bothered doing anything.

Ive been happy using my Sony with its Smart features.

I agree with JJ

I have the S790, fabulous machine for half the price of my Denon, twice the features (and some) and, more importantly, hasn't broken!!

Afraid have lost all confidence in both Denon and the way they lok after their retailers, a sweeping generalisation I know but from my recent experiences I stand by it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts