Question Denon D-M41DAB vs Onkyo CS-N775D

Vlad4024

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a micro system and as an amateur have read about the Denon D-M41DAB being the best in it's class in terms of clarity. On the other hand, the Onkyo CS-N775D seems to have more features and in the same price range, but I couldn't find any comparison between the two. My main need is to have a sound with best possible clarity at low and medium volume, since I am purchasing for my son who is only hearing with his left ear, and therefore is harder for him to understand the words, especially in foreign languages. I would highly appreciate an advice on the two options or even a different system. Thanks.

prince albert

May 7, 2020
Visit site
This may help you
Starting from the top - and, at £470, the most expensive - the CS-N775D aims to produce a "class-beating frequency response, flat linearity, and analog-like fluency". How? Well, according to Onkyo, with a new three-state amplifier design that adds a 'neutral' position to the 'on' and 'off' modes of conventional amplifiers. The bottom line is that Onkyo say this will "smoothly shape" a waveform in a similar way to an analogue amplifier.

Users can stream music from Chromecast, AirPlay, Bluetooth and DTS Play-Fi devices, while the Onkyo also has FM and DAB+ radios, a CD player and coaxial and optical digital audio inputs. There's a 3.5mm input, too. A USB input also allows for the connection of a portable HDD and there's support for 192/24-bit hi-res files and DSD audio.

next
The latest in Denon's renowned and award-winning series of flagship Micro Hi-Fi systems, the D-M41DAB adds Bluetooth connectivity to its capabilities. But the company doesn't stop there, making improvements to virtually every aspect of this compact, exemplary sounding music system. As well as streaming music wirelessly from your smart device, tune into the crystal clear reception of DAB radio, or discover new depth and clarity in your CD collection. With a complete set of connections to link up with other AV equipment this is a small and sophisticated Hi-Fi with the emphasis on scintillating audio.
Awesome Sound, Compact Dimensions
The internal tech has been redesigned and refined to maximise performance. Audio circuitry is as simple and short as possible to minimize any possible distortion and deliver sound that is utterly faithful to the original source. Triple Noise Reduction Design technology eliminates three potential sources of interference for a breathtaking purity of signal across two 30W channels. Despite commanding superlative, large-scale audio, the D-M41DAB's sleek and compact design fits easily in any room or on a bookshelf, and is matched with European Sound Tuned speakers.
Wireless Bluetooth Brilliance
The D-M41DAB is the first in Denon's celebrated series to support Bluetooth connectivity. Link up wirelessly to stream your music library or streamed content from your smart phone, tablet or computer. And a simple switch means you can turn off wireless functionality to ensure optimum sound quality from all other sources when you're not using it.
Compact Disc Player
Revive your disc collection with the D-M41DAB's CD player. Discover new depths in your old classics, or hear your new choices in the quality they were intended to be heard by the artiste.
Digital Radio with Distinction
It's equipped with a high quality digital radio tuner. DAB radio delivers crystal clear sound, scrolling text information, and automatic tuning by the station's name. DAB+ is ready for the next expanded generation of DAB stations, while FM is available for any stations yet to go digital.
Copious Connections
With one analogue input and two optical inputs, you can connect other equipment with no loss in quality. And it even features a dedicated output to connect an optional additional subwoofer (sold separately) for a whole extra dimension of sub-bass.
Don't forget...
If you want to connect your Hi-Fi system to a TV, games console, or TV set-top box then you'll need an optical cable.
View our collection of cables & connections
Product specifications
Accessories IncludedRemote Control, ManualAlarm

matthewpiano

The little Denon is a well proven option and has been so across a number of iterations - I remember having a DM31DAB. That would be a strong choice.

I would also suggest considering the Yamaha CRX-N470D. This is a capable unit which adds streaming capability in the form of Yamaha's MusicCast system. I've had one in the past and found it to be an excellent all-rounder for what it is, and good value for money.

Vlad4024

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
This may help you
Starting from the top - and, at £470, the most expensive - the CS-N775D aims to produce a "class-beating frequency response, flat linearity, and analog-like fluency". How? Well, according to Onkyo, with a new three-state amplifier design that adds a 'neutral' position to the 'on' and 'off' modes of conventional amplifiers. The bottom line is that Onkyo say this will "smoothly shape" a waveform in a similar way to an analogue amplifier.

Users can stream music from Chromecast, AirPlay, Bluetooth and DTS Play-Fi devices, while the Onkyo also has FM and DAB+ radios, a CD player and coaxial and optical digital audio inputs. There's a 3.5mm input, too. A USB input also allows for the connection of a portable HDD and there's support for 192/24-bit hi-res files and DSD audio.

next
The latest in Denon's renowned and award-winning series of flagship Micro Hi-Fi systems, the D-M41DAB adds Bluetooth connectivity to its capabilities. But the company doesn't stop there, making improvements to virtually every aspect of this compact, exemplary sounding music system. As well as streaming music wirelessly from your smart device, tune into the crystal clear reception of DAB radio, or discover new depth and clarity in your CD collection. With a complete set of connections to link up with other AV equipment this is a small and sophisticated Hi-Fi with the emphasis on scintillating audio.
Awesome Sound, Compact Dimensions
The internal tech has been redesigned and refined to maximise performance. Audio circuitry is as simple and short as possible to minimize any possible distortion and deliver sound that is utterly faithful to the original source. Triple Noise Reduction Design technology eliminates three potential sources of interference for a breathtaking purity of signal across two 30W channels. Despite commanding superlative, large-scale audio, the D-M41DAB's sleek and compact design fits easily in any room or on a bookshelf, and is matched with European Sound Tuned speakers.
Wireless Bluetooth Brilliance
The D-M41DAB is the first in Denon's celebrated series to support Bluetooth connectivity. Link up wirelessly to stream your music library or streamed content from your smart phone, tablet or computer. And a simple switch means you can turn off wireless functionality to ensure optimum sound quality from all other sources when you're not using it.
Compact Disc Player
Revive your disc collection with the D-M41DAB's CD player. Discover new depths in your old classics, or hear your new choices in the quality they were intended to be heard by the artiste.
Digital Radio with Distinction
It's equipped with a high quality digital radio tuner. DAB radio delivers crystal clear sound, scrolling text information, and automatic tuning by the station's name. DAB+ is ready for the next expanded generation of DAB stations, while FM is available for any stations yet to go digital.
Copious Connections
With one analogue input and two optical inputs, you can connect other equipment with no loss in quality. And it even features a dedicated output to connect an optional additional subwoofer (sold separately) for a whole extra dimension of sub-bass.
Don't forget...
If you want to connect your Hi-Fi system to a TV, games console, or TV set-top box then you'll need an optical cable.
View our collection of cables & connections
Product specifications
Accessories IncludedRemote Control, ManualAlarm
Thank you for your time! I have also read the reviews, however, while the Denon has been reviewed and awarded by WhatHiFi, the Onkyo is only presented with the manufacturer's description and I was hoping for a review in test and in comparison to the Denon. Regards.

Vlad4024

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
The little Denon is a well proven option and has been so across a number of iterations - I remember having a DM31DAB. That would be a strong choice.

I would also suggest considering the Yamaha CRX-N470D. This is a capable unit which adds streaming capability in the form of Yamaha's MusicCast system. I've had one in the past and found it to be an excellent all-rounder for what it is, and good value for money.
Thank you for your time! I was also considering the yamaha, but in some reviews it seems that the main problem with the yamaha is in clarity at low volumes, which is actually the main feature I'm aiming. I would like to have some input in the Onkyo in comparison to the Denon, to have an Idea is I should stick with the awarded Denon or go for the advanced features of the Onkyo, only if the sound quality/clarity is somehow at the same level. Regards.

Vlad4024

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your time! Honestly, since HiFi is not my area of passion or expertise, I am looking to buy something that has already been optimised with speakers as a whole. Therefore I am hoping for someone that has tested both systems and can give me a fair opinion on them, by comparison. Also if somebody has tested both of these plus others similar, I am open to other recommendations. Unfortunately, for me, concentrating on the speakers is kind of abstract since I have zero knowledge in this field. Regards.

Thank you for your time! Honestly, since HiFi is not my area of passion or expertise, I am looking to buy something that has already been optimised with speakers as a whole. Therefore I am hoping for someone that has tested both systems and can give me a fair opinion on them, by comparison. Also if somebody has tested both of these plus others similar, I am open to other recommendations. Unfortunately, for me, concentrating on the speakers is kind of abstract since I have zero knowledge in this field. Regards.
Understood, if you are looking to buy the set-up as a package, I would tend towards the Yamaha suggested earlier as they know a bit about building speakers.
I must stress I have not heard either of these systems with their packaged speakers and I would doubt many have auditioned both.......

matthewpiano

OK, if you're looking for a complete package with speakers, I'd change my recommendation. When I bought the Yamaha I purchased the complete package and, to be quite honest, the speakers were very much an afterthought and sounded awful. It was only when using the Yamaha unit with better speakers that it showed its true mettle.

Given the additional information you have given about your requirements, I think you would struggle to match or improve on this:

D

Deleted member 108165

Think I may have read a review somewhere that said the Denon worked best with its own brand speakers. Regardless of this it has always been a tidy and interesting mini-system, with excellent vfm, hence why it has won awards for so many years.

DCarmi

I have a DM41DAB in the bedroom (where I work). I am using an old recycled pair of (less than ideal) bookshelf speakers but I am really happy with it. Mostly I play it at fairly low volumes. I don't have any issues with clarity of speech and I do listen to Radio 4 a fair amount.
  • When working I mostly stream Spotify
  • It wakes me up with the radio in the morning
  • CD is quiet, which good since it is next to the bed
  • Pleasant to listen to through headphones.
  • Has a three free inputs - 2 optical and RCA (I have a Chromecast Audio in one optical input)
  • Bluetooth in
  • Sub-woofer connection, if wanted
  • Changed to a better ariel because I'm in a slightly iffy DAB reception area (and the replacement is a bit less obvious)
  • Sleep timer (don't use)
  • Fairly compact
  • I got it at a very good discount last Black Friday
I have seen reviews of the older version of the Onkyo and they look decent enough. Unless you know better the Onkyo seems to have limited availability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts