Denon AVR2310 - Group Test Winner

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tom Moreno:It would seem that the 3310 is really more a replacement for the 2809 and the 4310 for the 3808, whereas the 4810 is more the replacement for the 4308?

That's easy for you to say...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Creative Audio in Shrewsbury sell it for £699.....

Is this a phone jobbie? They advertise it for £799 on the web.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Walk into the shop, and the price ticket says £699. Email them and they quote £699, Look on their website, and it says £799.

Not sure you can order via mail order - Denon trading rules......best bet is to email/phone them and ask though.

I live down the road from the shop, so obviously visited it for the demo/purchase......

A

Anonymous

Cheers Pete. Thought that would be the case. Unfortunately it's nearly a 4 hour drive from my place.
emotion-6.gif

Just have to look around and hopefully price match.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Piobob - just speak to Richer Sounds - if you can't get it for that, show them Simply Electronics site (selling it for £739).
RIGHT - I have purchased my latest piece of electrical nirvana!
Haven't had a lot of time to sort it all out - was unpacking it last night whilst cooking dinner (feel free to through abuse my way!) but managed to set it up late at night. I have a couple of questions that hopefully some of the owners will be able to answer - and maybe one or two of the WHF team!
First thing to say is the manual is pretty rubbish!
I have a fairly old 42 panna display that is wall mounted. When I did this I obviously had an HDMI lead put in, along with a component lead I had and a set of interconnectors (for the sound).
Now the HDMI lead is obviously straightforward - put in the back of the amp in the monitor port. As for sound, I can't find anywhere on the amp for a bespoke 'TV' input for audio interconnectors - only a digital input for TV (unfortunately I don't have a pioneer!). So currently I have the audio leads connected to the SAT/CBL input. Is this the only option!? Seems a bit odd if it is!?
I then started to look through the amps settings menu but got a tad baffled, so went straight to the auto setup. Plugged in the Audessey mic and went through the process of letting the amp set up my speakers (KEF 3005SE) for the recommended 6 positions. This (from memory) set my speakers to small with the X-over at 80mhz. Does this sound correct? I read somewhere on here (possibly from the WHF team themselves) that you should set speaker sizes to Large? I know this has something to do with speakers capable of playing bass through them, but not toos sure. Is there any other settings I should tweak to suit my KEF package?
My BD-30 Panna player has a new lead from it to the HDP HDMI input on the amp. I've set up the BD to play sound bitstream and 'no' to secondary audio. A very quick play of a rather awful lovefilm BD (Max Payne) shows the magic 'blue' light alight on the amp! So that I presume is exactly how it should be!?
Obviously there is lots of dynamic this and audessey that, which I currently have set to on, but read many people (and it is suggested in the mag) to turn these off?! I'll do that, or at least have a play tonight. A very quick tinkering last night (and it's quite hard as the amp takes a second to action the commands) also suggests the playing 'pure direct' didn't sound as focused as if it wasn't on!? Could be totally off there, but will check further tonight.
Sorry for the long-winded post, but hopefully you guys may be able to provide some further hints/tips!??
Cheers - PJ

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
For the speaker package you are using, setting to small with x over at 80Hz is fine.

Large speaker setting is for floorstanders, really.

The blue light should come on, and I use 'Pure Direct' with x box, cd player and blu ray....it does sounds better (clearer etc), but you may need to add a bit more volume (which is what the audsesy system tends to do - and too much bass, in my opinion)

Don't forget the amp will improve as you run it in......I suggest leaving a cd player on repeat for a day at moderate volume to run it in......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I stand corrected....large setting 'best' with floorstanders, IN MY OPINION, and definitely not used with 'style' type speakers
emotion-5.gif

I used to have the Q Acoustics 1010i as front speakers, and they could not handle 'large' setting.

Reason being, when you have the volume up high, and there are large explosions, all the frequencies are sent to the front speakers with the full band setting (20hz-20khz). This makes the speaker cone move a lot, and can cause damage if the cone hits the back magnet frequently. If you use a cross over at 60hz - 80hz, it will limit the extreme bass being sent to the speakers and therefore limit the cone movement, which in turn will limit distortion too. Besides the speaker cone may not be able to get down to 20hz as it's the job of the sub to do that.

Hope that helps, and......

You may have to keep with that input, and I agree that the manual is awful!!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Talking of upscaling, I assume my BD-30 player does this (with standard DVDs)?
If so - should I turn the upscaling off on the Denon? (again assume this can be done) or would it be better (and possible) to turn the BD's upscaling off and use the amp's only!?!
My head hurts!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I've turned the scaler off on my 2310. It can be done.

In my opinion, BD is best, but actually not tested it on the Denon (I did with my old Onkyo 606), so might try later.

A

Anonymous

"There's also a slight thickness that robs voices of clarity. These characteristics carry through with music, too."

The above quote is from the online review of the 3310. Would you say the 2310 has the same characteristics as described above?

Another quote from the review:

"The seven-channel 120W AVR-3310 has been UK tuned and tweaked for maximum performance."

I keep reading that the **10 Denons have been UK tuned. Are there different versions of these receivers being sold in the UK and the rest of Europe/world? It seems like a silly rumor since that would be kind of expensive for Denon to have different versions, but I guess weirder stuff has happened.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
PJ1200:Obviously there is lots of dynamic this and audessey that, which I currently have set to on, but read many people (and it is suggested in the mag) to turn these off?! I'll do that, or at least have a play tonight. A very quick tinkering last night (and it's quite hard as the amp takes a second to action the commands) also suggests the playing 'pure direct' didn't sound as focused as if it wasn't on!? Could be totally off there, but will check further tonight.

To put this post into context: I'm using Denon 2310, Denon 2500 transport, Kef 3005SE's, Panasonic 46G10. I've been thrashing (running it really hard) all of this now for a good few weeks, and it seems to be fully run in. So here're my observations/tweakery suggestions:

As Pete suggests, leaving the thing to run (both the 2310 and the 3005SE's) will change the sound fundamentally... then re-run Audyssey (the curves will change accordingly). Personally, despite what others say, I find Audyssey works a treat, and - in my room with all its' acoustic anomalies, with this equipment, and with my ears - sounds better than Pure Direct, although there is a very slight loss of transparency (as there seems to be with all these systems, but it's an acceptable trade-off to me). You can copy this room corrected curve to the manual setting and fine-tune it from there if the automatic setting isn't exactly to your liking, but I found the auto settings absolutely spot on. As a side note: Not having any family considerations (at least not any more), I set the Audyssey from just one position - my favourite listening position - and I do tend to run this kit with the volume pretty well flat out.

With the 3005SE's sub, I personally found a small degree of thickness to the sound, but this can be removed by removing those horrible rubber feet and spiking the thing properly to the floor. In addition, changing it's mains cable for something more substancial adds an extra degree of clarity (as does removing the grills from the sats). I have actually found that upgrading all mains cables has made a worthwhile improvement, but I've tried that only because I have a big box of spare cables lying around. At the moment, I'm using Russ Andrews Reference mains cables on both the 2310 and 2500 Transport - something I think Jason on this forum got slated for given their cost in relation to the value of the equipment - but I think he's absolutely right. It's a marked improvement.

Other than that, the 2310 with the 3005SE's sounds fabulous - with CD's, even in a direct A-B comparison with my regular (considerably more expensive) hi-fi, its not embarrassed.

A

Anonymous

I was getting quite excited about going to collect my 2310 tomorrow but the St Albans Hispek store is awaiting stock
emotion-6.gif
I'm going to have to make the 200+ mile round trip to buy it and then wait for them to deliver it. Just spoke to a guy there about courier charges and he said he will call me back. I just noticed on their website UK mainland delivery is free so lets hope I soon get a call confirming this!
emotion-1.gif

I was tempted to get this receiver with one of the Blu Ray player packages but I've decided to go with the following pack with the Kef speakers:

http://www.hispek.com/P/Denon-AVR2310-AV-Recevier-Kef-AV50-Home-Cinema-Speaker-Package(AVR2310AV50PACK).aspx

My other half doesn't like the look off any of the Kef egg speakers. For a quiet life I decided to go for the above more traditional looking speaker pack. Breaking the pack down and considering the best price for a 2310 is £699 at the moment it's quite a deal. Looking around for the individual speakers in this pack you really do get to appreciate what a bargain it is:

Kef IQ50 Floorstanders around £500

Kef OQ10 Bookshelf (rears) around £250

Kef IQ60 Centre around £350

Kef Kube 2 Sub around £400

Thats £1500 for these speakers individually and I'm getting all of those with the 2310 for £1569.99
emotion-19.gif

I'd be surprised if there was a better speaker/2310 package deal out there but if there is let me know and quickly please!
emotion-21.gif

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
I really need some advice! I've read review of both the 2310 and 3310. Given that I can afford to go up the 3310 would you still recomend the the 2310 over it?

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
hems, ive just left some comments regards sd picture quality through 2310 on this forum:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/2/305287/ShowThread.aspx

once you get the setting right its quality.

A

Anonymous

Hems:I really need some advice! I've read review of both the 2310 and 3310. Given that I can afford to go up the 3310 would you still recomend the the 2310 over it?

Just go and listen to both! I considered the 3310 but have heard almost nothing about it. Everyone seems to be raving about the 2310 and 99% of these people know a hell of a lot more about it than me!

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I'm steering towards the 3310 but I'm hoping someone with a 3310 can comment here.

I'm trying to get a shortlist of amps to demo.

One dealers website is offering the 3310 with a pioneer bdp320 for 1169 collected and a deal for the 2310 with the sony bdp360 for 730.

Actually I just come back from my local dealer and they suggested that I go for the Pioneer LX52.

Confused?

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I tested the pioneer lx52 against the Denon 3310 just the other week using a monitor audio RX6 based surround set-up. The answer to your question really comes down to the type of sound you prefer.

I found both to be great for movies, with some more brightness but greater seperation in the mid, high and low end sound in the pioneer vs a more warm & integrated sound from the denon. What clinched it for me was the music test when I switched to CDs. The Denon sound to my ears was head and shoulders above the pioneer for me in pure direct mode. The sound source for this was one of the high end pioneer BD players.

I bought the 3310 and am gathering the readies for the speaker set-up asap. I recommend that you try and listen to the amps in your shortlist and this will let you know what you prefer. Just because something may be a 5* product it does not mean that you prefer the sound of it compared to a 4* product. Use the reviews as a handy and informed reference guide.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Hems

Can you share the name of your dealer as they're offering great prices/packages for the 3310/2310.

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts