Denon AVR2310 - Group Test Winner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Been waiting for the review all week! Bought the mag last night and read the test with interest. Looks like all 3 were good, with different strengths. The Denon came out on top because it managed to marry a decent amount of bass with good detail at lower levels.
Will check it out further at the weekend with an intended purchase.
Can't find it for £699 though! Richer Sounds seem to sell it a whisker under £799. Seen it for £739 - but that is in silver (I want black).
Looking forward to setting it up (no doubt a long process of trial and error!) with my KEF 3005SE package!
Probem is I now find myself looking at upgrading my Panna BD30 to the Denon BD Transporter!! Seen that for Just under 500 big ones!! Will this ever end!??

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Creative Audio in Shrewsbury sell it for £699.....

Set up with the 2310 was actually quite quick...so don't panic.

Upgrading is neverending.......luckily I am now out of extra space in the rack, so upgrading is very limited.....
emotion-9.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
cloud7:
Hi!

Are these setting applicable to Denon 1909?? (Sub 80hz, rear 60hz and front fullband)

I will follow these setting 1st... Yea! My complete set of HT will be arrived today!

These settings are for Pete's system that has floorstanding fronts. If you are using anything smaller I wouldn't set the xover to full-band. Also the standard for cinema setups (and THX for that matter) is every channel Xovered at 80Hz regardless of the bandwidth of the speaker. Some Disney animation DVDs (and others out there) lack an LFE channel (the .1 in 5.1) because when used in a correct setup all of the bass from the individual channels is automatically steered to the sub. And this really doesn't affect directionality either as most bass signals that low aren't actually processed with your ears as much as your sternum.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I'll be in Cheltenham at the weekend - but Strewsbury is another 100 odd miles north from there!! Damn!
I'll haggle a bit in the local store.
Upgrading is indeed - I read the GT on the hifi stuff in the mag too and found myself thinking about upgrading my hifi stuff!
Problem is finding the money!! Must check the tree in the garden!! ;)

A

Anonymous

I also purchased this just a few weeks ago - very happy with the purchase after exchanging a Sony STA-DA2400ES.

The Denon is a fantastic sounding amp.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
PJ1200:Been waiting for the review all week! Bought the mag last night and read the test with interest. Looks like all 3 were good, with different strengths. The Denon came out on top because it managed to marry a decent amount of bass with good detail at lower levels.

Can't find it for £699 though! Richer Sounds seem to sell it a whisker under £799. Seen it for £739 - but that is in silver (I want black).
Looking forward to setting it up (no doubt a long process of trial and error!) with my KEF 3005SE package!
Probem is I now find myself looking at upgrading my Panna BD30 to the Denon BD Transporter!! Seen that for Just under 500 big ones!! Will this ever end!??

Hi-spek (in St. Albans and Essex) currently offer the Denon 2310 with the Denon BD2500 transport as a package for £1029.99 - see the ad in WHF. Both work excellently with the KEF3005SE speakers, and set-up is (well, was here) a breeze using the auto-set-up option. Sounds pretty spectacular without any subsequent manual intervention, although I suspect a bit of manual tweakery might improve things by a small margin.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
That sounds good, but if it were my money, I would buy one of these:

B&W 685 Theatre Package or:

Tannoy Mercury F4 Custom 5.1 or:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3225

Why? For better stereo sound when using my cd player. The Denon is good enough for stereo use, in my opinion. (It replaced my Marantz PM6010 KI)

I wanted to get the 685 package but I dont have the space at the moment which is why i'm sticking with my KEFs and looking to buy the PV1. I'm going to get full size speakers when I move into a bigger house.

A

Anonymous

isnt the 2310 a step down from the 2809 models ? what has replaced the 2809 this year then is it the 3310?

A

Anonymous

Take a print out of the cheapest web price you can find to Richer Sounds - they'll undercut by £10, (well they did in my case anyway). Got it for a tad over £700. They weren't bothered about the colour.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
wireman:PJ1200:Been waiting for the review all week! Bought the mag last night and read the test with interest. Looks like all 3 were good, with different strengths. The Denon came out on top because it managed to marry a decent amount of bass with good detail at lower levels.

Hi-spek (in St. Albans and Essex) currently offer the Denon 2310 with the Denon BD2500 transport as a package for £1029.99 - see the ad in WHF. Both work excellently with the KEF3005SE speakers, and set-up is (well, was here) a breeze using the auto-set-up option. Sounds pretty spectacular without any subsequent manual intervention, although I suspect a bit of manual tweakery might improve things by a small margin.

Don't tell me things like that Wireman!!! That just sounds a pretty tempting offer!!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
whitwood:Take a print out of the cheapest web price you can find to Richer Sounds - they'll undercut by £10, (well they did in my case anyway). Got it for a tad over £700. They weren't bothered about the colour.
Thanks Whitwood - will print the web offer off and use that as a means to barter! (depending on whether I can justify upgrading my BD player (less than a year after purchase!)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
fowler:isnt the 2310 a step down from the 2809 models ? what has replaced the 2809 this year then is it the 3310?

Think I am correct in saying it replaces the 2309 and 2809.......At a RRP of £800, price wise it replaces the 2809.......but Denon are not doing at amp at RRP £600(like the 2309 was), as far as I know.....

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
PJ1200, I got my 2310 from the cheltenham store and got them to price match the shrewsbury store (which only have one in stock - black, when i rang) but im afraid to say you may not get one from cheltenham RS as mine was reserved and took about 4 weeks to get and when they did get a batch of 2310's they got 7 or 8 and distrubuted straight to stores who have requested them, they said i was lucky to get mine and i called once a week to check.

id seriously suggest ringing stores to see if they have on stock and even putting small deposit down to reserve as they are like gold dust, only a lot better!

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
fowler:isnt the 2310 a step down from the 2809 models ? what has replaced the 2809 this year then is it the 3310?

Think I am correct in saying it replaces the 2309 and 2809.......At a RRP of £800, price wise it replaces the 2809.......but Denon are not doing at amp at RRP £600(like the 2309 was), as far as I know.....

I think you're right on this. I think they have consolidated their range a little bit. I think the step from the 2309 to the 2809 had feature differences that might have been negated by the constant down-filtering of specs through the range from one model year to the next. When I bought my 3808 last year it was still the current model alongside the 2809 and the main differences that made me step up were the Upscaling of HDMI to HDMI (great for sky SD channels as the sky box has a sh*t built in scaler), a significant step up in the D/A converters used, and better amps. The addition of the nice new GUI and network audio were a bit of icing on the cake.

Last year the 3808 and the 4308 were quite close together in terms of spec and positioning in the range, and I think the 3808 was an excellent alternative for those who couldn't quite stretch to the 4308. This year it appears that they have moved the 4310 up a bit closer to their high-end AVC range, but the 3310 seems to have dropped closer to the 2809's position in the range and I think finds itself in a bit of a limbo.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
tom moreno, quick question - what is your setting on your sky hd box for output from hdmi ie 1080i ? if you get the receiver to upscale to say 1080p what signal is your sky hd box sending.

Just got my tv, amp & sky hd at same time recently and trying to sort it all out!

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
j4mm3r:
tom moreno, quick question - what is your setting on your sky hd box for output from hdmi ie 1080i ? if you get the receiver to upscale to say 1080p what signal is your sky hd box sending.

Just got my tv, amp & sky hd at same time recently and trying to sort it all out!

My TV isn't 1080P so I run everything into it at 1080i. I know that technically I should run everything at 720P as that is the native resolution, but (and I might be kidding myself) I seem to get a better picture when running it at 1080i.

RE the Sky HD box. I find that the upscaler in the Sky box is shockingly awful. So I set my Sky HD resolution to AUTO and let the AVR upscale to 1080i for the SD channels. Obviously you get a pause and a second of black screen as the resolution is changed between HD and SD channels, but I find the picture on the SD channels is significantly better doing it this way.

Well done for getting stuck in! Ask as many questions as you like, I personally love tweaking and have probably tried every combination of settings on my 3808 and think I've got it running the absolute best I can at the moment (until next week).

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
j4mm3r:
PJ1200, I got my 2310 from the cheltenham store and got them to price match the shrewsbury store (which only have one in stock - black, when i rang) but im afraid to say you may not get one from cheltenham RS as mine was reserved and took about 4 weeks to get and when they did get a batch of 2310's they got 7 or 8 and distrubuted straight to stores who have requested them, they said i was lucky to get mine and i called once a week to check.

id seriously suggest ringing stores to see if they have on stock and even putting small deposit down to reserve as they are like gold dust, only a lot better!

Right - I've contacted my local RS store (Reading) and reserved their only Amp (apparently just been put out on shop floor) for just over £700 (used the Simply Electronics price on the net for bartering!)
Picking up the amp tonight after work! Can't wait!
Cheers guys!

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:AVR-4810 inbound. Full news story coming in the next half-hour or so...

Mmmnn.... salivating already. Now if only I hadn't got my wife pregnant and I still had money.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
So, in a breakdown...

It would seem that the 3310 is really more a replacement for the 2809 and the 4310 for the 3808, whereas the 4810 is more the replacement for the 4308?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts