Denon AVR reliability

RBinDC

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
I’m considering buying a Denon AVR 3700h, or its Marantz equivalent, but am concerned about the reliability of these brands and the poor customer service.

A number of customers have reported problems with these receivers that required repairs or replacements within 2 years of purchase. They had to pay the shipping costs and indicated poor customer service.

would I be safer buying a comparably priced Yamaha AVR? Some reviewers also claim the Yamahas sound better reproducing music, which is a top priority for me. My two stereo speakers are KEF LS50s.

I've had Marantz SR7009 for 3 years before upgrading to Denon AVR-X6400H almost 3 years ago. No issues whatsoever. I previously had a Yamaha RX-V1900 for over 5 years. All these brands are reliable with their own sound signatures. Focus on the performance and their sonic signature to see which suits you best. I won't worry about reliability with either of these brands.

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I am on my third Denon AV amp and never had a problem with any of them, I generally change them every 5 years or so just to stay current, no other reason.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I previously had a Yamaha which lived in a conservatory with the temperature extremes and it never missed a beat. I’ve had it around 10 years and it‘s still going strong.

Santa brought me a Denon 3600H last year and it does run a lot hotter than my Yamaha did, so I’ve added 2 x USB AC Infinity fans which has stopped the protection circuit kicking in and turning the amp off at high volumes.

I’ve not heard any of the later Yamaha’s so I can’t comment on music reproduction, but I would say Yamaha has better slightly better build quality than the Denon.

I do like my Denon and music reproduction and build quality is pretty good for an AV amp. I would demo a Yamaha next time though side by side to see which one I would pick. The Denon I have was bundled in with my speakers so I was able to make a significant saving so I didn’t really have a choice.

michael hoy

I've had in order - Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and Marantz.
Only had one problem which was with the Denon and this was fixed very quickly. The Denon was about 7 years ago. I would not worry about the reliability,

bigdigger

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
all brands have a % of failures. I had 2 Yamahas fail on me weeks after the warranty was up. Have just replaced a Denon 2500 with a Denon 4500 and not a single problem.
They do run hot but if you turn all the video processing off this is significantly reduced.

TRENDING THREADS