Denon AVR HDMI Video But No Sound

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I hope that someone may be able to advise on a configuration setting that may be causing the above problem. Essentially from working fine and with no changes to the settings I now don't seem to get any sound from HDMI inputs via my AVR 1911, but video is fine. The sound is entering the receiver, and gets to the TV on passthrough, but when the amp is supposed to be producing the sound there's nothing, and it indicates analogue as the input, even though it is getting sound on the HDMI.

The amp is totally fine when fed via a coaxial digital input from the Sonos, it just seems to be a problem with HDMI. I have checked all the input mappings and it seems to be set with HDMI as the input correclty, to output via the amp, etc, but it just isn't working anymore.

I fear the worst in that the HDMI audio processing has failed in isolation, but it seems slightly odd, and I wondered if anyone had experienced this before or could suggest a non-obvious setting that might be causing this?

If anyone has any adive it would be much appreciated.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have the denon 2113 and the same happened to me. It sounds like you have pressed a button on your remote by accident and you have changed your sound mode to analogue. Do you have the sound mode buttons at the bottom of your remote as I think I pressed the movie button and it brought my sound back. Hope this helps...!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for tip - I'll give it a go. I didn't try the sound modes yesterday.

Thing is though I had now started looking forward to getting a 3313 as a replacement. :) It looks an absolute bargain at current prices. The 1911 was only ever a stop-gap after a failed Marantz but it was so good I didn't bother upgrading again.

However, I won't bother if I can get the 1911 going again as I can do without the expense right now. I dis remember it's always in standby but I powered everything off as my Humax had unusually frozen on the TV, and I think the first time after that when I put the projector on there was no sound. Maybe the power off has introduced the analogue mode.

Thanks again.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah looks like it has switched to analogue somehow. You could do a system reset if all else fails but will mean you will have yo set it up again :(

The denon amps are really good. I had a pioneer lx70 which went wrong so my 2113 was also an interim. However, it sounds very good and I'm not going to change.

hope you sort your problem out!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

The mode was OK, but set to HDMI or auto it just wouldn't pick up the HDMI sound.

In the end I did a reset as mentioned and that does seem to have sorted it, but as you say I'll need top set it all up again :-(.

Looks like any upgrade will be delayed for a while, but I'm not too disappointed! For me the 1911 is more than a match for the failed Marantz it replaced that was going on twice the price. Better detail, and more bass control / impact, thjough there was a richness to the Marantz I occasionally mis. I'd like the extra HDMI outs of the 3313, metal facia, and maybe the pre-outs, and perhaps the sound would be a bit better, but I'm fine for now and will have to wait!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I maybe should have tried the reset before posting!

TRENDING THREADS