Denon AVR 4308

stephenbrooks

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I've just got a Denon 4308. I sert it up. Switched on, fine. Then put the microphone in to set up speakers. At the first inout the mchnie went straight off. Now it won't switch back on any longer than to come on and go to a red light. Any help gratefully received. It appears broken!!

A

Anonymous

Hi Stephen - apologies If I am teaching you to suck eggs but the red light on my Denon receiver means it is in Standby mode. The button for switching the Denon on and off is different to the standby button. Yoyu may have the receiver switched on but you need to press the stanby button too if it is red. I made this mistake when I forst got mine. Check the buttons and try pressing the standby button again.

Kind Rgds,

Jan.

A

Anonymous

I've got a 4308 too, so I dug out my manual. Page 90 of the troubleshooting section suggests a few possible causes:

1. The speaker cables up on the receiver's rear panel have some cable strands touching each other, causing a short. Not possible with banana plugs, but if you've got bare wires, it's worth a thorough check.

2. The receiver's too hot, so it has activated its protection circuit. Not likely unless you've got it in a cupboard with the doors shut and a pile of kit sitting on top of it, and it doesn't sound like you have, because you'd have mentioned it!

3. Speakers with a difficult impedance are being used - again, not likely. It's a powerful receiver, and most mainstream speakers won't cause it any problem.

4. It's knackered!

So if the speaker wires aren't an issue, I'd suggest you get on the phone to your dealer straight away.

stephenbrooks

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thanks all for this. I've sent it back to dealer. It was second hand so I have a choice. Have it repaired (free) or refund and buy a new AVR 3310. The money's about the same. I'd welcome suggestions on this. Thanks.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
stephenbrooks:
Hi, thanks all for this. I've sent it back to dealer. It was second hand so I have a choice. Have it repaired (free) or refund and buy a new AVR 3310. The money's about the same. I'd welcome suggestions on this. Thanks.

Hmmn... Tough to say. I would be wary of buying the repaired unit- though on the other hand I would prefer to have the 4308 to the 3310. It may not have some of the bells and whistles of the new model range but the 4308 is one hell of an AVR and closer in build and componentry to the current AVR-4810. It's got Denon's top of the line DACs and Advanced AL24 Processing (3310 only has AL24 Proc Plus which is a step down the food chain) not to mention it needs a bigger chassis to house more substantial amps. I think I would have it repaired if it were me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts