Denon AVR-3311

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hello

I am looking at getting a Denon AVR-3311, or possibly a AVR-2311, not sure if there is that much difference in sound quality in both home cinema and stereo to warrant the extra cash.

What i am concerned about is spending any money on an upgrade for the quality to be the same as my existing AV receiver which is a Cambridge Audio 540r V1.

Will i notice a better quality to the sound produced by upgrading to the Denons and which should i really go for?

Hope someone can help

Tony

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:What price difference is there between the Denon's these days?

2311 around £500

3311 around £900

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
If I was you Tony, I'd set up a demo of both as they are still current, and let your ears make the decision....

Thats what i did when i went for a Denon 1910........but after hearing the 2310 found it was £300 worth spending....
emotion-5.gif

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've no direct comparison experience, but I'd expect you will get a big improvement over your Cambridge Audio. I have the 1911 and feel it's better than my old Marantz SR6001 overall.

Definitely demo, but based on advice I got when I couldn't demo the higher end Denons the benefits of the higher end amps like the 3311 are more in driving biggger speakers and install options. I'm sure it will have better sound but unless you've got big speakers might not be worth almost twice the price of the 2311.

A

Anonymous

I can't comment on the Cambridge Audio but I have been looking to change my old Denon 3802. I listened to a Denon 3311 alongside the Pioneer lx53 and the difference was stunning for stereo. The Pioneer was much more detailed, richer, more layered. The Denon just seemed to be missing detail.

In the shop I listened on Kef-Q700's and I was a bit concerned how this would compare on my old Kef-Q7. I needn't have worried. I went for the LX53 and when I got home I was blown away with the stereo sound.

I'm waiting for the free Blu-ray player that was part of the deal - they were out of stock.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I bought the 3311 back in August when first released and I love it. Fantastic sound, features etc.

There were three main reasons why I went for the 3311 over the 2311:

* Internet Radio feature with networking FLAC files

* Airplay update

* Looks - I think it looks much nicer having the buttons covered. Not £400 nicer, but you get my point!

I have to say on all levels the 3311 delivers. I've yet to read a reivew on it (WHF haven't as far as I'm aware although they gave the 2311 four stars and the 1911 five I think. Or was it the other way round?)

A

Anonymous

Can't help with your query exactly but might help put the Denon into context. I just bought a 3311 and it was demoed against a Yamaha 1067 which was highly reviewed by WHF, but the Denon won comfortably. Stereo just sounded much more rounded and imaging seemed better to my ears. Still tweaking set up and running in at home but really happy with it.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Surprised about the comments with respect to the Pioneer LX53.

I demod the VSX 2020, which apparently is the same receiver minus BlueTooth and while yes it's detailed it seems to be at the expense of solidity. It might have been a smidgeon more detailed than the 1911 and certainly gave a nice sound for films and music, but the lack of solidity was noticeable for bass, and it muddled a baseline the 1911 was fine with. For me certainly wasn't worth 2.5 times the price of the 1911.

I would expect the 3311 to be a fair step up above the 1911.

A

Anonymous

I use the philosophy - u'll never be sorry you bought the better one!
emotion-2.gif

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Also to add that I thought the rendition of the trumpet solo at the beginning of We Own the Night was great on the VSX 2020, but Blondie's Heart of Glass in the first scene wasn't that impressive.

In comparison the Denon relayed the Blondie track with some real verve, though the trumpet solo maybe didn't strike me in quite the same way as it had on the 2020, but can't really say why.

A

Anonymous

I had a demo of the 2311 and 3311 with B&W MT30 speakers.

With these speakers I found both the Denon machines very similar; certainly not £400 of difference between them according to my humble ears anyway! Possibly bigger speakers would show the no doubt superior quality that the 3311 has to offer. I went for the 2311 and am delighted with it. I've paired it with the B&W speakers and picked up a Pioneer Blu-Ray player (LX-52) and most of my cables for the difference between the 2311 and 3311.

Obviously it depends on your budget but for me the 2311 is perfect as I'll never use the additional functionality the 3311 has to offer. My main use is Home Cinema. Good Luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts