Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
So my new Denon Headphones arrived this morning.........and I thought I would post my initial impressions on these cans having spent the last three or four hours listening to them.

The Denon's are certainly bulky and big compared to the Grado's and they have an excellent cable length to allow for listening from a fair distance of the system. Both the headstrap and earpices are very comfortable, so doesnt seem like there will be any issues with longer listening periods.

People have constantly commented that the Grado's lacked Bass, and I must say I have never thought this so, until I started listening through the Denon's and then you realise how much more bass and how much more deeper it is with the Denon's. Personally I thought the Grado's were just right for how I like my music and extended listening will tell me whether the Denon's have too much bass for my liking.

I currently have the Denon's connected to my laptop via the NuForce uDAC2 and have listened to a variety of lossless music via iTunes, HiRes FLAC files via Media Monkey and Spotify. Initial impressions are mixed.......

HiRes FLAC files via the DAC just seem to have way too much bass (in fact so much that it sounds like the left earpiece is vibrating constantly)...even at what I would consider low listening volumes.

Listening to Tom Petty - Anthology:Through The Years via Spotify is considerably easier on the ears and sounds really good. The detail I am now hearing is so much better than the Grado's.....for closed back cans they provide a surprisingly open and airy sound. Vocals sound clean and clear and instruments are easily distinguishable and life like.

All in all the Denon's seem to be a good pair of headphones. Do I think they will replace the Grado's completely? No.....they both seem to have pro's and con's that warrant me keeping both pairs dependant on what I am listening too, when I am listening and what sort of sound I want.

I will hopefull get round to doing a more specific head to head comparison this weekend and look forward to posting my feelings on how the Grado's and Denon's compare to each other.

:grin:

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if there is a comparison between the Grado's and Denon, that's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. You will have to give the Denon's a good amount of head time without using the Grado's for a while. You have come from a bass anemic can to a moderately bass heavy one.

One thing I don't understand is........why would you stop at just two pairs of cans :?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hahah mate you will get me in trouble :rofl:

To be honest and the way things are going I can see myself getting a few more pairs of headphones.....most of my listening is now via my laptop using apple lossless, Spotify and HiRes FLAC files. I'm even thinking of getting rid of the Caspian Pre and Power Amps.

The next upgrade for me will be a better DAC, (I'm waiting for the new CA DacMagic to come out to demo against the Rega, MF MDAC and possibly Furutech ADL GT40), just not sure whether to go separate DAC and HPA or combined.

The Grado's have been locked away for a while so I can concentrate on getting used to the Denon's, which I am slowly getting used to the depth of. I have also had these connected to my iPad for a bit listening to both Spotify and iTunes and must say was very impressed with the result :grin:

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Hahah mate you will get me in trouble :rofl:
who me :shifty:

Jason36 said:
I'm even thinking of getting rid of the Caspian Pre and Power Amps.
Just think of how many headphones you will be able to afford then !!

Jason36 said:
The next upgrade for me will be a better DAC, (I'm waiting for the new CA DacMagic to come out to demo against the Rega, MF MDAC and possibly Furutech ADL GT40), just not sure whether to go separate DAC and HPA or combined.

Ditto, I have been umming and arring over which DAC to get and have so far brought nothing :cry:

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
There seems to be a very good selection of DACs on the market place at the moment between £300 and £600. I ideally need one that will do USB at a minimum of 96kHz 24 bit....so that I believe includes all the ones I mentioned, in fact I believe the new CA DacMagic will do 192kHz 24 bit.

Just not sure whether I would be better getting a dedicated DAC and connecting this to a dedicted HPA, and then if I sell my Pre / Power....possibly getting a pair of STAX HP's :roll:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts