Denon 4308 green tint problem - help!

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

My new Denon 4308 av reciever has worked well for about a week and has suddenly developed a green tint to all sources except the SkyHD?

Connections are as follows:

Amp to TV - 1.3HDMI

SkyHD to amp - 1.3HDMI & optical

HD-DVD to amp - 1.3HDMI

DVD to amp - 1.3HDMI

When on the set-up menu, even for skyHD there is a green tint present, yet when the SKYHD is switched on the picture is perfect, all the other sources display the green tint even when playing?

The TV is fine, I've checked it with all sources direct.

Has something inside the amp gone pop (RGB or similar) as it seems to disply red's and greens but no blues. When the wallpaper is set to blue it isn't blue.

Why will the SkyHD play ok, does the sky bypass some process in the amp that the other sources don't?

The shop where I bought it from have advised returning to Denon but I want to try to fix it first (if it can be) as the postage and the wait for a return (weeks!) does not fill me with joy after I've waited so long to get it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Camdxr

A

Anonymous

Hi camdxr,

sorry to hear about your problem. I take it that the shop you bought it from has suggested that THEY return it to Denon? If so, fair enough and there should be no suggestion about you paying postage either. If they have suggested that YOU return it to Denon then I suggest you go back and enforce your legal rights. Your contract of purchase is with the shop, and not with Denon. Assuming that the unit is brand new and not second hand, then returning it to Denon at their own cost is the very least that they need to offer. How they get it repaired is their responsibility, not yours.

Not much can be done about being without it for a while but you could always ask the shop if they have any demo units you could borrow, ( though it doesn't sound like they will be willing to entertain that! )

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mark and Andrew

Thanks for the advice, the amp was purchased new and delivered to my home direct from the shop (I live in Birmingham the shop is Gateshead). The shop is saying I must pay to return it to them and then they will forward it to Denon. I can see their point but it seems a bit unfair that I am penalised financially when the product is faulty.

Andrew the loose HDMI, I thought about that and checked them all. But also it wouldn't explain how the SkyHD would be green on the set-up screen for that input and then perfect when switched on? Nuts. The only way I can rationalise it is that the SkyHD must "bypass" some filter in the amp that both the HD-DVD and DVD don't.

Weird.

Luckily I still have "old faithful" my 3805, so I'm now listening in DTS 6.1 or DDPrologic11x.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts