Denon 2313 or a Yamaha RXA810?

rblock

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Could any one who have heard or own one of these amps give any feed back with regards their performance. I'm currently deciding to change my ageing Denon 1909. I like the idea of AirPlay facility on the Denon & at the moment are heavily reduced, or I have sourced the Yamaha which was last years model but part of the aventage range. I do listen to a lot of stereo music through my receiver so would like it to be good musically as we'll as with film. Either of the machines would be coupled to an oppo-93 blu-ray player which I use for SACD listening outputting through Wharfedale 10.1/CM/9.0(rears).

I am leaning more towards the Yamaha as they seem to fair reasonably well of late with reviews with many comments of a natural sound which I like. Have seen the Denon for £429-439 mark & seen the Yamaha @ £449 so not a lot of difference. Incidentally I can live without AirPlay as an apple express or tv would be able to perform this task.

would appreciate any good usable feedback to help with my decision making!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think most people on here would say the Yamaha.

Strapped For Cash has recently bought the 810, and he rates it highly.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I had some initial concerns, but now I'm familiar with the 810 and have tuned it to my liking, I think it's excellent. Unlike another recent purchase, it's going nowhere.

You'd be getting a lot of receiver for the price. The 810 is exceptionally good In terms of surround sound processing, creating a seamless sound field without giving much away in terms of positioning. Effects are accurately placed, but transitions from speaker to speaker are highly convincing.

As a stereo amplifier, it's competent rather than outstanding (even in AVR terms). My workaround is pairing the 810 with a very good CDP using analogue interconnects. That way, the CDP takes care of digital to analogue conversion (the AVR doesn't do such a great job of this, stereo-wise).

As always, the best advice is to audition. You can only tell so much this way, but you'd be making as informed a decision as possible. I haven't heard the Denon, so I can't say how it compares. Bear in mind that the 810 is a more expensive receiver than the 2113. Comparing prices isn't a foolproof method of decision making, either, but again gives you something to go on. It sounds like you've considered all of this, anyway.

If you're using your Oppo as a music source, you should be OK connected to the 810 via analogue; though I'd still check out both, as stereo performance is clearly a priority for you.

rblock

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Excellent. Many thanks for your response. I am quite taken with the Yamaha & will have a demonstration tomorrow. I appreciate it is a matter of personal taste, after speaking to a couple of dealers, the Denons they say, are not great this year but no one has given any explanation as to why!

Good advice & idea with using analogue interconnects for stereo music, I have found this a preferred method also.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Enjoy the audition. (On a Sunday!)

You know what your priorities are and how you'll connect the AVR to other components at home, so it sounds like you'll be making as informed a decision as possible. Try to blind test, if you can find a way. You might end up with a completely different receiver than planned!

Let us know how you get on...

rblock said:
Excellent. Many thanks for your response. I am quite taken with the Yamaha & will have a demonstration tomorrow. I appreciate it is a matter of personal taste, after speaking to a couple of dealers, the Denons they say, are not great this year but no one has given any explanation as to why!

Good advice & idea with using analogue interconnects for stereo music, I have found this a preferred method also.

You're right about Denons being unpopular amongst dealers, for no strong reason. I started a thread about it few months ago:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/why-are-denon-receivers-unpopular-amongst-dealers

I suspect there's not enough profit margin for dealers.

rblock

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Well! I bought the yamaha 810. I was able to demo it as it was being used at my local richersounds & found its timing to be a step up from my older denon. Where as the denon could be quite 'crashy' & hectic, the yamaha took anything thrown at it in its stride. I must stress my denon is an older & lower priced machine as I do not wish to upset any denon owners, personally for me, the Yamaha has been an improvement for me. I'm sure as I understand its various settings, further enjoyment will be experienced.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Job done!

Having lived with this AVR for a while, I'd still recommend connecting the Oppo via analogue for stereo duties. I don't own an Oppo, but in my experience, a disc spinner that makes an excellent job of digital to analogue conversion will outperform the 810 in this regard.*

Have a play around and see what you think. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

* As a caveat, I'm only discussing stereo performance here. The 810 is great at surround steering.

rblock

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for not responding sooner but I did purchase some Atlas element integra audio leads based on what hifi's reviews and I am very impressed with the sound quality. I'm hearing so much difference through my wharfedale speakers,they seem much happier as I'm able to set the amp speaker impedience to 6 ohms. I've been listening to my albums all over again & enjoying the difference this amp has made,it reminds me almost of a Technics stereo amp I used to own! I also like its ability to play SACD DSD over hdmi,Pink Floyds Wish you were sounds awesome through 5.1!

Thanks again for all advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts