Denon 2310 Audyssey Setup

devo18uk1

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have just used the auto Audyssey Setup on the Denon 2310. My question is this. During the setup, it asks you to place the microphone at ear level in listening positions 1,2 &3. Now, I moved the microphone between where me and my wife sit, but does the calculation find a happy medium between the two positions, or is there a way of switching between the two measurements?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I think it extrapolates a sound-field averaged from all the listening points, and works a fudge that suits all of them. I did three measurements around where I normally sit, and two around where her indoors does.

In any case, once you've calibrated the speakers, try experimenting by turning off all Audessey processing (push the MultEQ and Dynamic buttons on the front until the red/green light goes out) and see if you prefer the sound.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
wireman:
The 'official' answers are on Audysseys own web-site: What is meant by 'listening positions' is not what you'd necessarily think it would mean. Proper microphone placement is IMHO very important to getting Audyssey to work properly. See what Audyssey have to say about that here:

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/faq.html#recommendedpositions

I'll second this. The Denon manual (mine at least) for all its shortcomings had a good little diagram of examples of measurement positions around the primary listening position. After using these recommendations I got much better results and using the system with the Audyssey Flat EQ setting is by far a better setting than leaving the EQ off. Also, the more measurements you make the better a result you'll garner. In my room, I measured 1) the centre of the Sofa, 2) the left end of the sofa, 3) the right end of the sofa, 4) about a meter and a half forward of the previous plane directly over the coffee table, 5) lined up with the L end of sofa on the coffee table plane, and 6) the right side equivalent of 5. For reference the listening sofa is a 2-seater that lines up within the positions of my L/R fronts.

A

Anonymous

I would concur with the above posts, and add something that I think both Denon and Audyssey mention. Use a tripod to get the right (head) height - don't just set the mic on a seat or hold it - calibration takes time, and the mic needs to be steady. I also think position 1 is given precedence, so make sure it's your sweet spot.... I have been so delighted by the sound - although you will feel great surround vs. not so great when you are listening to discs... - enjoy the great, and curse about "whoever" is responsible for the not so great...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts