Denon 1910 + Digital TV Box trouble - help needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've finally managed to find some time to set up and calibrate my new system: Denon 1910 with B&W 600 series speakers (685s front, 686s back, HTM62 center and 608 sub). Must say I'm enjoying it so far, although I'm hoping to get better quality out of it still when I replace the PS3 with a dedicated BD player later this year.

Anyhow: I'm running into some problems with my digital TV box and the Denon. Now, this is a Belgian TV box/operator but I reckon that won't really matter in figuring out what's going on:

The digital TV box is not HD yet, so I've got it hooked up with SCART (RGB) straight to my TV and with digital optical lead to the Denon. This works like a charm, were it not that there are certain channels on my digital TV subscription that hang/lose signal (and can't be watched) while the Denon is on?! If my Denon is turned off, those channels work fine again without any hesitation. So: all other channels are perfectly watchable with the Denon on (and the sound coming through the B&Ws), just three channels that cannot lock onto their signal while the Denon is on (but they can be watched with the amp off and sound going to the TV over the SCART).

Does anybody have any (longshot even, I'll take it) ideas of what might be causing this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!
Bjorn

A

Anonymous

So 30+ reads but nobody has any idea what could be causing the signal of specific TV channels to be dropped when my Denon 1910 is on?

Having to do the constant switching (or settling for TV sound for the time being) is getting annoying and is making me feel like just unhooking the 1910 and bringing my old Yamaha amp back out. The quirks of the Denon are starting to make this upgrade feel more like a downgrade
emotion-12.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not a clue: the optical connection to the Denon is one-way, so no signal is being sent back to your TV box from the AV receiver.

So unless it's some kind of EMF/RFI interference from the Denon affecting the TV box, which is very unlikely...

You could try moving the TV box further from the amp (longer optical cable), but otherwise I am at a loss to suggest any reason/cure.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input, Andrew, much appreciated.

I'm in for an evening of mucking around with the cabling. Will try the increasing the distance between the Denon and the TV box first and if that fails to provide a resolution, it looks like I'll be unplugging one item at a time to see if I can find what might be causing the disruption.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Try replacing the coax to good quality Satellite Cable at least double shielded. I had poor picture quality on mine & this worked a treat as the shielding is so much better than standard cheap fly leads / coax. I made mine & used decent gold connections. Ch5 & BBC2 used to be really bad, now as good as the rest. Having been a radio ham for over 20 years i know how easy it is to pick up interference that can effect signals especially over cheap poorly made coax.

I am presuming of course that your digital box is a freeview one, i suggest that you check your signal strength on the affected channels on the digital tv box with the denon on & then off so you get a comparison, it could result in just a change of leads would cure the problem.

Regards.... Paul

A

Anonymous

I've found the culprit, although don't have a technical explanation as to the how and why: HDMI.

I had an old, cheapy HDMI cable that I got for free when purchasing the original phat PS3 way back when it first was released. This cable used to go straight from my PS3 to the TV as my old amp didn't have HDMI inputs yet.
Now I had purchased an extra HDMI (1.4) cable as I knew I would need it, so I have the old cheapy going from PS3 to Denon input and the new pricier HDMI cable going from Denon out to the TV.

As I had the digital TV box hooked up by SCART, the HDMI out from the Denon should not be doing anything, with the Denon only processing the sound it's getting over optical from my TV box. Strangely enough, it looks like this HDMI cable going out of the Denon is causing the disruption. As soon as I unplugged it from the TV, the signal on those two missing channels was crystal clear and perfect again! I then swapped the two HDMI cables, and all is running smoothly on all TV channels now. I'd like to find out the technical explanation if any though, just out of curiousity, as well as possibly some help with:

One other thing I have noticed in using the Denon 1910: sometimes I have no sound when turning it on! Switching it off and back on does the trick, but I find it slightly alarming that I have problems like this with brand new kit. This only seems to happen when the Denon is still set to the TV input from when I turned it off last. Might this have something to do with how my input have been set up in the Denon's incomprehensible menu's? Or with the order I'm turning my equipment on even? Or with the fact that the digital TV box is hooked up by SCART and as such is not getting passed through the Denon over HDMI? (it seems like the Denon is struggling to realize it's got work to do, with only the second time turning it on 'audio system active' appearing on the screen)

A

Anonymous

hi,
i have this problem as well >>>
"One other thing I have noticed in using the Denon 1910: sometimes I have no sound when turning it on! Switching it off and back on does the trick."
may i know have u found a way to solve it yet ? or is it a manufacture fault?
appreciate ur help..
thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts