Denon 1520Ae with B&W 683S2 good match?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
In the very, very past i was a big fan of Denon amps. They where in these days very good. But how is it now? A dealer said Denon for stereo no, for HT yes. True?

I've heard the Arcam A18 with B&W 683S2. Not bad; but it has no drive and it seems for me too litte power.

Denon 1520Ae better? In the past Denon with B&W was a good match.

matthewpiano

I used to have a PMA-1500ae. It was brilliant and I often wish I'd never parted with it. With a pair of Monitor Audio BR2s and with some B&W 685s, it sounded superb.

My PMA-720ae is also excellent - clearly not as good as a 1520ae would be, but still one of the nicest amps I've owned (long list including Marantz, Rega, NAD, Arcam, Creek, Exposure, Naim, Rotel, Sansui, Cyrus. Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Onkyo...)

Denon and stereo definitely still go together, and if it is anything like the 1500ae, the 1520ae will be fantastic.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Big Denon fan here. I tried a lot of budget amps (Rotel, Marantz, Pioneer, NAD.......) but the Denon PMA-720AE I have now is by far my favourite. It has a certain musicality that I really like. More than enough power and together with my Q Acoustics 3020 speakers it sounds very nice.

I would definitely try the PMA-1520AE :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't auditioned it specifically myself, but at the bigger stores I notice the staff often suggesting the beefier Denon stereo amps with various B&W speakers. Generally a smooth, full-bodied sound that is a bit laid back. Sounded very natural and musical with acoustic stuff, particularly jazz if I recall correctly.

crepax

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
interesting discussion.I also have the b & w and wanted to know how the combination with the denon 1500AE maybe in comparison with Nad C352-C355bee.I found both at a great price.*smile*

Crystalarts

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the 1510 which i paired with the 683s. I tried a whole load of speaker combos and the only speakers i felt sounded better with the 1510 were the Focal 726's but the shop didnt have the latest models and wouldnt be getting them in for months so i went with the B&W which i am a fan of anyway.

Beautiful. Masses of power for the speakers, very punchy and clear.

I sold the 683s, bought an LP12, sonus faber cermona auditors, Linn Akurate DS, but kept the 1510. thats how highly i rate it.

I wont part with it until i get a McIntosh or Hegel.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I used to have the 1510AE for some time. Nice amplifier. Very clear and enough power for most speakers. Bass a little loose but probably a great match with well damped standmounts.

Typical Japanese sound which is not a bad thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts