Define a classic component

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Don’t get all nostalgic on us! ;)

I can't help it :), Anyone from around B'ham remember Bob Griffin, Griffen Audio? and a couple of doors down a record/cd shop full of strange and import music. He had his listening room down in the basement I think I spent so long listening to a rega planet CDP down there he could have charged me rent, I surfaced long enough to buy it.

Reactions: davidf
I know this'll pee off the purists, but the MK1 Leema Pulse should be looked at as a future classic within it's price bracket.

I'm not sure what other integrated had a switchable phono stage. A few of the more brands now has a switchable ; has 4 x line level inputs, some brands has those; outputs for either a sub or power amp. Some brands can boast that; automatic volume setting for when you switch from one source to another, so you don't damage your speakers. No idea what other brand offers that. Collectively I've not come across any other integrated.

For the best bit: The sound. I've always had the belief, right or wrong, these new one amp does it all, incl. built-in Dacs can be detrimental to the sound. This is why: if you have a 3k all-in-one, in simplistic terms, the 3 grand has to be split between perhaps a Dac, streamer power and preamp and some have a phono stage. In addition modern amps cater for a whole manner of digital inputs/outputs.

By contrast, the Pulse is pure analogue, no Dac, no streamer.... that £1200 new prices covers power/pre section, phono stage and auto volume level and that's pretty much it. Even though it's quite old it still gives modern sub-2k integrateds a good run for its money.

In 2008, for the above reasons, it was a game changer around £1-2k price bracket.

It will never be looked at as classic and believe because so few have heard one. It is the Alfa Romeo of the hi-fi world: lots of plaudits but rarely do people actually put their hands in their pockets.

In a weird way I kinda like the niche-like aspect.

Last edited:

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
How about the Dali Menuet, first released 1992 the box size, driver size and configuration haven't changed in over 30 years, it has had numerous face lifts to suit the Dali range of the time(s), like wise its magnets and drive units have been updated with the Dali range of the time(s), it currently looks like a Rubicon 1.

How about the Dali Menuet, first released 1992 the box size, driver size and configuration haven't changed in over 30 years, it has had numerous face lifts to suit the Dali range of the time(s), like wise its magnets and drive units have been updated with the Dali range of the time(s), it currently looks like a Rubicon 1.
You could also add in Ruark Sabre IIIs. I heard them when I was invited to the Big Q at what Hi-fi towers. Fabulous little speakers.

Reactions: Al ears

matthewpianist

Probably because Pioneer fell out of love with two channel. A lot of the big Japanese companies, from the late 90s onwards, ploughed a lot of their budget on multi-channel stuff

Yep. Sony abandoned 2-channel and then eventually all separates including
as are you, it wasn't as good.

There was a Tom Evans modded A300R Precision which was highly thought of. I've never seen one for sale second hand though.

Yep. Sony abandoned 2-channel and then eventually all separates including

There was a Tom Evans modded A300R Precision which was highly thought of. I've never seen one for sale second hand though.
I have and I bought it..... :)
It was recommended to me by Tom as he could modify it to become a power amp whilst I was waiting for him to build my Linear A, This he subsequently did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts