Define a classic component

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Samd

Depends what you are talking about, TV programmes only a few years old get called classic, for whatever reason, even if they are utter crap.

Indeed so! There are some 33 plus million cars with an MOT in UK, 61 of which are Morris Marinas, 1 of which could beat a Rolls Royce in a Classic Car Show*

*In Theory!

AJM1981

Most of the times it is a classic in functional- and product design. Often in its uniqueness in time. Like the Quad Electrostatic speakers. Some items were timeless from the beginning, others became classics due to an emotional stamp.

I would select the amps and loudspeakers that are in the top 10 of most sought-after on the second hand market. Also the lists with classics that sites like whathifi create, which probably spin around the same antique market.

A recent classic that came into existance is this Braun Atelier series amp.

I really regret not having bought one on time. As soon as the spiritual link between Jonathan Ive and Dieter Rams was established people advertised on that and products became gold value classics.

Last edited:

AJM1981

A classic component is an audio device that is loved by everyone.

Loved by reviewers and people who owned it might be a better description. Altough theoretically it might not always apply. The transparant set of sub and loudspeakers created for the first iMac by Harman Kardon is a modern classic with some reasonable market value but not necessarily a great system.

AJM1981

If you were looking for something similar to the A400 today...what would you audition ?

Good question. It was a giant killer for the market during the early 90ies.. Nowadays hi-fi gear offers more for less in quality output compared to the past. Couldn't find any graphs so I guess it comes to auditioning an A400 to hear how it is spiced.

The A400 Anecdotally summarized:

Furthermore, this amplifier showed a real command of music and so deep bass growled without clouding midband detail. It was very weighty and enjoyed excellent separation, just as brass had a naturally tangy quality that was raw but not cold or ascerbic.

The Yamaha Wxa50 probably would be a candidate. When used with analog sources it delivers this "growling" detailed bass. Digitally streamed from its internal streamer it is an arbitrary 0.5 less raw, but still great.

Pros
  • Firm grip on bass
  • Lively presentation
  • Very incisive
  • Great streamer and streaming app
Cons
  • Underwhelming remote

https://iiwireviews.com/yamaha-wxa-50-has-everything-your-hifi-needs/

p.s.The remote is indeed small but i solved it by integrating it into a programmable all in one remote.

In case of giant killers in general, Andrew Robinson recommended the really cheap Arylic A50+ as a gem. Just mentioning these as I am familiar with them, there are many for sure.

Last edited:

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
All very valid points. My next next question, which @davidf touched on, does it have to be of a certain vintage? Can't a 5-10 year old component be perceived as a classic?

Surely something has to be a certain age (vintage?) before it can be called a classic.
43 years ago, when I started work. The Linn LP12 was recommended to me (I still don't like the look)
That must be a classic :)

Sansui SR222?
That Quad amp.... 303?

I saw Marantz of the 80s being mentioned.
Yes... their BIG receivers.
Speaking of receivers. How about the JVC receivers of the late 70s early 80s

Am I showing my age?

Surely something has to be a certain age (vintage?) before it can be called a classic.
43 years ago, when I started work. The Linn LP12 was recommended to me (I still don't like the look)
That must be a classic :)

Sansui SR222?
That Quad amp.... 303?

I saw Marantz of the 80s being mentioned.
Yes... their BIG receivers.
Speaking of receivers. How about the JVC receivers of the late 70s early 80s

Am I showing my age?
I agree generally. Because some of the bigger brands update their models on a such a regular basis, such as Cyrus, budget Marantz, certain Roksan models (Kandys spring to mind), usually a hi-fi can be deemed as old over 5 years from launch

Often classics are not identified until way after they cease manufacturing them, others are classics from the moment they are produced, to my mind anyway.
I have owned a few.....
And yes, I am showing my age.... :)
For one the LP12 was never a classic as it was expensive to buy and needed constant addition of more costlier bits to keep it up there in the rankings, the Rega Planar 3 and Dunlop Systemdek were there from the beggining

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts