Define a classic component

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
In my humble opinion, it has a high percentage of "media hype" but, I would define classic as something that most of the people remember very quickly. For example, Queen is a classic, everybody knows the band, Freddy Mercury, their songs, etc.

Marantz of the 80s looks like a classic (to me) in Hi-fi, it captured the imagination, it was something I wanted badly at that time, you look at the designs of that time and they look even today just great.

Reactions: plastic penguin
I’d see it as a product that changed the industry in some way, or the buying habits of the public. I guess a little bit like the Mission Cyrus 753 speakers - to my mind, the first slimline floorstander that started the trend which still continues today. KEF KHT (egg) systems - really kicked off the sub/sat speaker system boom, despite this type of speaker system having been developed a good 20+ years previously by Ken Kreisel. Audiolab 8000a. Jim Rogers JR149 speakers.

Not sure anything this century is quite old enough to be classic yet.

matthewpianist

I'd define 'classic' as a component which has changed things or become something which people have come back to again and again. I would include:

Linn LP12
Thorens TD150
Rega Planar 3
Naim Nait
Pioneer PL12D
Pioneer A400
Rotel RCD965BX
Marantz CD52
Marantz CD63 KI-Signature
Denon TU260L
Mission 760
Mission 753
Rogers LS3/5A
KEF LS50

etc. etc.

I'd define 'classic' as a component which has changed things or become something which people have come back to again and again. I would include:

Linn LP12
Thorens TD150
Rega Planar 3
Naim Nait
Pioneer PL12D
Pioneer A400
Rotel RCD965BX
Marantz CD52
Marantz CD63 KI-Signature
Denon TU260L
Mission 760
Mission 753
Rogers LS3/5A
KEF LS50

etc. etc.
i would tend to agree although I would leave out the LP12...... :)
Include Heybrook HB1 and Quad Electrostatic speakers, Denon 103 cartridge etc.
The list could get quite large

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
"A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style/something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality; of the first or highest quality, class, or rank – something that exemplifies its class."

So a modern piece can be classed as a classic but generally, normally has to be a trendsetter as mentioned eg the Sugden a21 deemed the father of class A, B&W nautilus, technology developed for these paved the way for their speaker ranges going forward and still do. Klipsch horns are still made today and remain pretty much unchanged.

record_spot

Something that has quality, longevity and widely recognised as a great product. Whether that's the old Quad amps, NAD's 3020, the Acoustic Energy AE1 speaker, or Linn's Sondek (yes, I know about the Ariston it was based on!), or something from the other side of the pond in one of the great McIntosh amps, they've all got that special something that makes them standout.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
The truly great Pioneer A-400.

Is it though? Whilst hailed as a 'giant killer' at the time it was never manufactured for a long time unlike things like Rogers LS3/5A or the LP12 . The A-400 is also available cheaply s/h these days. I'd put it in the same bracket as the various KI Marantz implementations. Competent at the time but not really a classic and now mostly forgotten.

Last edited:
Is it though? Whilst hailed as a 'giant killer' at the time it was never manufactured for a long time unlike things like Rogers LS3/5A or the LP12 . The A-400 is also available cheaply s/h these days. I'd put it in the same bracket as the various KI Marantz implementations. Competent at the time but not really a classic and now mostly forgotten.
Yep. The reviews of the A-400 at the time were positive. But there was so many good integrateds produced at the time in a similar price bracket. For me a classic needs to have a X-factor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts