Dedicated pre-amp vs Integrated amp running as a pre-amp

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I curently have a Cyrus 6vs2 which I am using as a pre-amp connected to a Cyrus 8 Power.

I can pick up an ex-demo vs2 pre-amp at a good price. Would using the dedicated Cyrus pre-amp result in better perfomance and if so why?

Thanks

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Mark Levinson 390s (amazing sounding CD player/DAC/preamp), the other recomendation would be dCS Elgar plus which has a pre-out and sound fabulous too. on the cheaper end there is Stello D200 which for the price, a stunning bargain.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
5cats35:
I curently have a Cyrus 6vs2 which I am using as a pre-amp connected to a Cyrus 8 Power.

I can pick up an ex-demo vs2 pre-amp at a good price. Would using the dedicated Cyrus pre-amp result in better perfomance and if so why?

Thanks

Can I ask why aren't you bi-amping then?

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Because I have a wife to deal with!

If I get a pre-amp then the intergrated amp would probably be used in another room as part of a secondary system.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
d_a_n1979:5cats35:

Thanks

Can I ask why aren't you bi-amping then?

Do you mean why am I not bi-amping currently?

If so I hadn't really thought about it too much as there seems to be mixed reactions out there as to the benefits.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I would definitely expect biamping to give you a more noticeable difference than swapping preamps...

Thanks John, QED revelation to be ordered then.

John Duncan

Borrow some from the shop that's trying to get you to spend money on the Cyrus preamp. In fact, take the preamp home with you as well so that you can compare the two setups in your own home.

A

Anonymous

I went from Cyrus AV Master 8.0 as pre to a prevs2 and noticed a small but significant difference.

Most people think that biamping gives benefit but not as much as running two power amps in mono. I currently biwire but I am considering changing my cables for better quality single cables when I add a second power amp.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Definitely agree with JD there

Cyrus amps are brilliant, my other half has an 8vs2 hooked up with an XPower and the synergy as well as the soundstage is brilliant.

The system was initially the 8vs2 running the speakers (B&W CM7's); we demo'd these with a pre-power combo as well as the intergrated-power combo and the latter won outright!

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Borrow some from the shop that's trying to get you to spend money on the Cyrus preamp. In fact, take the preamp home with you as well so that you can compare the two setups in your own home.

That would be difficult as shop is in UK and I am in Guernsey. Don't think shop would be keen to ship them over for me try on appro.

I already have speakers wired from the 8 power with Qed Revelation cables so I have ordered another pair so that I can bi-amp.

Thanks everybody.

A

Anonymous

5cats35:

That would be difficult as shop is in UK and I am in Guernsey. Don't think shop would be keen to ship them over for me try on appro.

They'll need to be very long cables anyway!

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
angelface59:5cats35:

They'll need to be very long cables anyway!
emotion-2.gif

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
OK my cables should be with me shortly. So which amp should I use for the low frequencies and which for the mid/high?

Doing a search on google suggested that the Power amp be used for the low and the integrated for the mid/high. IS this correct or doesn't it make much difference?

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As above really...

Integrated for the HF and power amp for the LF

Just make sure you remove the speaker jumper cables/bars on the speakers before you power up the amps!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts