Dedicated phono preamp vs new amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i'm looking to add a turntable to my set up, most likely a Rega RP1/P2/P3, depending on cash! however, my NAD amp doesn't have a phono stage, so my choice is either to ebay the NAD and buy an amp with a phono stage build in, such as an RA04-SE or Rega Brio 3, or to buy an external phono stage. looking at current buying and selling prices of good alternatives it seems both routes will cost around the same amount, but i'm unsure what will give the best result!

any comments or advice is welcome!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rega Brio 3.

It has an excellent built-in phono stage. It will also work very well with your Rega Apollo (Use the Rega interconnect that came in the Apollo box.)

Scroll down this page to find a brand new Rega P1 (with full dealer warranty) for £150.

(They are selling for this price due to Rega bringing out the new £225 Rega RP1 soon.)

If I were you I would also consider replacing the 685s with Rega RS1s at some point. Such an all Rega system will really groove!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I have a Rotel amp which does have a very good phono stage built-in but it's probably fair to say an external phono stage will almost always outperform a built-in one.

A

Anonymous

cheers chebby-£150 seems like an absolute bargain! when you say to use the free interconnect in the box did you mean between the R1 and the amp or the CDP and the amp? i'm demoing the Verdi right now but the free IC is surprisingly good!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jsl20:cheers chebby-£150 seems like an absolute bargain! when you say to use the free interconnect in the box did you mean between the R1 and the amp or the CDP and the amp? i'm demoing the Verdi right now but the free IC is surprisingly good!

Yes, sorry to be ambiguous, I meant between the Apollo and the Brio 3. (The Rega turntable will have it's own 'captive' lead.)

The supplied Rega interconnect is very good and lot's of people ignore it from habit. ("It's free so it can't be any good".)

A friend of mine had to spend about £120 to 'better' it. (Even then I was not sure he succeeded.)

A

Anonymous

i'd agree its very good-i posted my thoughts on it last week! http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/477352.aspx. i've still got a couple of weeks on my 30 day returns on the Verdi (bought in Merlin's sale at less than half price!). Its meant to be £200, i think its clearer than the free cable, but sounds more sensible and reserved. decisions!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jsl20:i'd agree its very good-i posted my thoughts on it last week! http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/477352.aspx. i've still got a couple of weeks on my 30 day returns on the Verdi (bought in Merlin's sale at less than half price!). Its meant to be £200, i think its clearer than the free cable, but sounds more sensible and reserved. decisions!

That is still £100 towards either a Rega Brio 3, or the Rega TT (or both).

I would seriously try and find a Rega dealer and get them to hook up an Apollo/Brio 3/RS1 system (with standard interconnect) for you to listen to.

Early this year WHF had a group test of "one brand" systems and the Apollo/Brio 3/RS3 system got 5 stars. I always think it is a mistake to put Rega amps/speakers/CDPs into mixed systems without hearing an equivalently priced* 'all Rega' system first.

*Actually the 'all Rega' system will often save you money.

T

the record spot

I've not heard the entry level Rega P1 turntable, but always assumed the reasoning went it was to challenge the Project dominance at the price. Of the two, the P2 might be the better bet, although I see there's a new P1 out soon, as Chebby mentioned, with an improved spec. Might be worth waiting for that one?

A

Anonymous

it might be, although the new entry level has gone up to within £25 of the P2, which seems very odd pricing. the £150 P1 found earlier seems a brilliant bargain though right now! its mainly the decision of the mini fono preamp or changing to the brio i'm considering at the moment.

A

Anonymous

The fono mini is based on the phono stage of the Brio if memory serves me well. It's also one of the few genuine bargains in hifi.

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
jsl20:it might be, although the new entry level has gone up to within £25 of the P2, which seems very odd pricing. the £150 P1 found earlier seems a brilliant bargain though right now! its mainly the decision of the mini fono preamp or changing to the brio i'm considering at the moment.

I understand that there will not be an equivalent of the P2 in the new range (although details of the full new range haven't been released).

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
if your looking at the rega p1/p2 then a phono stage from Nad or CA should suffice. I've had the Nad PP1 for ten years and its sounded good for the money. Ready to make a change now tho.

A

Anonymous

the rega phono mini (£55) is still cheaper than the cheapest of either NAD or CA. apparently its the same as the "fono" but without the flashy casing, so you pay for the electronics and not the metal. funny world of hi fi eh?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts