Decoupling floorstanders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
I have removed the spikes from my PMC PB1i's and placed them on thick pieces of marble with four balls of bluetack to decouple them and fix them to the marble, they are now rock solid and it has completely stopped low bass frequencies from exiting the floorboards.

It works exceptionaly well imo, and also makes moving the speakers far easier just by sliding the slab an speaker on top of the carpet ( with some effort ) to get them into the optimum position. *smile*

Skills... From memory moving PB1's around was a fecking chore and a half. It's not so much the weight, it's that they are just the wrong proportions to pick up.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Andy, thanks for the explanation. I have to say though, I am not in complete agreement with your opinion. I tried spikes on floor, no spikes, spikes on granite, spikes on granite on blutac etc etc and found spikes on granite to work in my room, and for me.

i guess it's another one of those "listen and then judge" situations,...

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
I have removed the spikes from my PMC PB1i's and placed them on thick pieces of marble with four balls of bluetack to decouple them and fix them to the marble, they are now rock solid and it has completely stopped low bass frequencies from exiting the floorboards.

At the risk of being pedantic, bluetac will couple the speaker stands to the marble, not decouple.

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi all,

Now in, mostly, still a few boxes but the Cyrus 6 setup to Monitor Audio RS6 setup is biamped and biwired. Not realised how much of missed my tunes. Sweet.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to decouple a floorstander from floor - I used granite chopping boards with polipods underneath (sorbethane feet) and spike shoes superglued to top of chopping board. Then speaker spikes into spike shoes.

A cheap and VERY VERY effective solution. No noticeable vibration to suspended wooden floor or wall even when the volume dial is exercised. For anyone else considering this challenge and solution I can highly recommend this combo.

Cheers all.

*back to a glass of wine and a couple of tunes.

amormusic said:
Hi all,

Now in, mostly, still a few boxes but the Cyrus 6 setup to Monitor Audio RS6 setup is biamped and biwired. Not realised how much of missed my tunes. Sweet.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to decouple a floorstander from floor - I used granite chopping boards with polipods underneath (sorbethane feet) and spike shoes superglued to top of chopping board. Then speaker spikes into spike shoes.

A cheap and VERY VERY effective solution. No noticeable vibration to suspended wooden floor or wall even when the volume dial is exercised. For anyone else considering this challenge and solution I can highly recommend this combo.

Cheers all.

*back to a glass of wine and a couple of tunes.

Glad to hear it is working. I would question though, in such a set-up, why you are bothering with the spikes at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts