DECODING OF BLU RAYS

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
My system was installed yesterday. It consists of Sony 5400 AV Amp, 5000 Blu Ray, B&W speaker package. The amp has a feature called AFD, which enables you to listen in the format that the disc was recorded. The problem was that I was only able to listen to 2.1 surround and not 5.1 channel surround. I checked the back of the disc and it indicates that the disc can be played in both 2.1 and 5.1 surround. I then checked the audio settings on the blu ray and the only option was DTS HD, which I selected. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone help? In addition, how do I check if the amp or the blu ray is doing the decoding. By the way, I confirmed with another disc that the system is able to play 5.1 surround.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK hope we can solve this:

a) What's the disc in question?

b) How are the player and receiver connected?

c) What are the audio output settings on the player?

d) Beyond using AFD, what if any settings have you made on the receiver?

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

OK hope we can solve this:

a) What's the disc in question?

b) How are the player and receiver connected?

c) What are the audio output settings on the player?

d) Beyond using AFD, what if any settings have you made on the receiver?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately I really am a novice, but I will answer your questions as best I can.

a) Disc is Lionel Richie Live in Paris

b) Via HDMI

c) Sorry. Not sure. Maybe you could tell me how I would check this?

d) The installer said that, other than the auto calibration, he did not select any special settings.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
a) On Blu-ray, I assume?

b) Fine

c) You need to go into the player's audio set-up menu and ensure 'Audio (HDMI)' is set to 'Auto', and 'BD Audio Setting' is set to 'Direct'. See manual p51.

d) If this doesn't sort it, I'd get the installer back in...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts