Decisions Decisions

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
OK I am moving out to the states in a couple of months time and will need to look at getting new HiFi when I am out there........Initially I will not be shipping my CD's or LP's out there, so my main source component will be an apple ipod.....I will be investing in one of the 160gb classics.....all my music is ripped in lossless format.

So I am looking for any advice on a potential Amplifier and speaker set up...I assume I would be best to get a decent ipod doc and then connect this to my Amplifier. I have no idea whether there are certain amplier and speaker setups that would match better with an ipod but would also need to bear in mind that eventually I am likely to want to add a CD Player and Turntable at a later date.

Would be looking to spend potentially up to £1,500 on amp, speakers, stands and speaker cable.

Any advice or recommendations....

Oh and please I am not looking for a debate on ipod vs CD quality ;-)

John Duncan

Hm. This is quite tricky, primarily because hifi available in the States will be quite different to that available here, especially since any recommendations could be compeltely different cost wise. Stereophile.com could be a good place to ask?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have heard fatman's little hybrid valve amp/dock (the old one with lower power) with Rega's R3 and it sounded astonishing for the little money both cost. You could do a lot worse and spend a lot more.

If your room is on the large side fatman now do more upmarket products with more power. Add a pair of R5's and it may be all you ever want if you like your music on the relaxing side. Having said that, its a clear and punchy sound.

If you are the 'studio' kind of sound bloke, consider AVI's ADM9.1 active monitors with pre-amplifier and DAC. Incredibly powerful, accurate and detailed. A complete quality system. Its not harsh but it gives you whats on the disc, no more, no less. Your budget would allow for an additional sub if the bass available is not enough and its powerful enough for the largest of rooms.

A

Anonymous

USA - generally 110V @60Hz

UK - generally 230V @ 50Hz (well close to this anyway!!!
emotion-2.gif
)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Welshboy,

And that helps me how??
emotion-4.gif
lol

Yeah I knew the power output is different in the US which is why I wont be taking my current setup out eventually......Unless I find my amplifier switches between 230v and 110v.....and then I may look at shipping out.....although would probably be cheaper to just buy out there........not sure whether and how available UK equipment is out there.

A

Anonymous

Ah sorry - I thought you might want to bring it back one day!
emotion-2.gif

Many different brands available in the USA in addition to the normal crop of Japanse ones. Depending on length of stay I'd consider renting. (You can rent almost anything in the USA or at least you could last time I was working over there.)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback guys............

I have heard the smaller fatboy amp with a pair of Quad Speakers and was impressed.....it could be an option but would probably need to go for the beefier version of the amp.

I may just wait till I am out in America and see what's available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts