Decision time, what about the Philips 47PFL9664?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Indeed - and don't forget we gave it an enthusiastic four-star review. Four stars meaning 'very good'. And it's only the price/performance of the Sony that stopped it getting five stars. Other reviewers who don't test on a performance-per-pound basis would be more than justified giving it full marks
emotion-21.gif

Just trying to keep it factual, and in perspective, here
emotion-2.gif

Fair enough Clare. We should of course all keep things in perspective
emotion-1.gif
And I realise that WhatHifi actually gave G20 a good 4 star rating.

All reviews I consider serious is on a performance-per-pound basis, and this is also what I can't help but finding a little funny. Because where a lot other sites states:

'This is a very good TV, not close to becomming the new reference, as it can't tough the Pioneer Kuro, but for the price it is unbeatable'.

WhatHifi somehow got this argument turned upside down:

'This is a very good TV, but it is too expensive to get the full 5 stars'.

You must admit that is a little funny?

I of course respect that you find this TV to be 'just' very good rather than excellent, but I have given it some thoughts, and here is what I think. Please let me know if I am wrong in any of the considerations.

I believe WhatHifi reviews are purely subjective. Isn't that so?

You of course set up the TV's to provide the best results possible, but from there it is purely subjective as far I know? There is nothing wrong in that, but I personally like to spice this up with some more hard facts on how the TV performs against international standards.

Maybe I am a purist, simply seeking the picture that reflects what the filmmaker intended when shooting the movie. This is probably also why I tend to agree more with reviews more based on how close the TV get's to the correct colour temperature of 6500K, a clean gamma curve etc. rather than what is subjectively percieved as the best picture.

A

Anonymous

To keep you updated I just bought the Philips 47PFL9664 after a demo at Richer Sounds. At the moment my screen isn't set up but from what I seen from the set in store it seems an excellent TV. I even compared it side by side with the new LED Philips screen and to be honest I couldn't see any difference. Even the RS guy was puzzled as to what the new model at £1000 more had actually improved on. This screen was also the store show piece and was being used to demo various home cinema equipment which was comforting to know, given the choice of screens available in the shop. I will post further details when I get round to setting mine up and when I have had a fiddle with the settings. By the way the sound from this screen is far superior to that of any other flatscreen I have seen so far
emotion-4.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, I will be interested to here what you find out with a more in depth look
emotion-21.gif

Cheer's.

A

Anonymous

Finally got my 47PFL9664 up and I am very happy with it. Picture quality is absolutely amazing and the sound is great to. Built in wi-fi is also very useful. There is also a USB side slot so I can upload photographs on it. As yet it is just set up to factory settings I haven't had the time to tweak yet. Anyway here are a couple of taster pics off my mobile. When I have actually finished the job I will take proper pics with my digi cam.

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

very nice davee , wall hanging a tv certainly saves space , and looks really good , those kef speakers are easy on the eye too , nice contemporary look , good job
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:very nice davee , wall hanging a tv certainly saves space , and looks really good , those kef speakers are easy on the eye too , nice contemporary look , good job
emotion-21.gif

Those Kefs look so petite but they do whack out a good 100W each
emotion-5.gif

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
All looks cool there m8. I have said this before ,I,ve had the 47pfl664 since before xmas and it still amazes, It just seems to look better every day .It replaced my panasonic 42pz70b which was a great plasma but were in a different league here. ENJOY

A

Anonymous

grifz:

All looks cool there m8. I have said this before ,I,ve had the 47pfl664 since before xmas and it still amazes, It just seems to look better every day .It replaced my panasonic 42pz70b which was a great plasma but were in a different league here. ENJOY

What settings do you use please grifz?

A

Anonymous

heres the right honorable mr cloughs settings davee , hes got the 42in , but they should provide you with a good starting point at least...

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 48

Colour: 50

Sharpness: 3

Noise
reduction: Off

Tint: Normal

Within Perfect Pixel HD
sub-menu

Perfect Natural Motion: Minimum

200Hz Clear
LCD: On

Advanced Sharpness: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Dynamic
Backlight: Best pic

MPEG artefact reduction: Off

Colour
Enhancement: Off
Light sensor: Off

D

Deleted member 2457

That look's great Daveee
emotion-21.gif
can't wait for more picture's, have you tried you tube with music video's?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

gel:

That look's great Daveee
emotion-21.gif
can't wait for more picture's, have you tried you tube with music video's?

Thanks

Not yet but I will do
emotion-1.gif
Theres a good football application built in that keeps me up to date.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:how were those sttings davee ?

They were great thanks. To be honest I've spent more time fiddling with the custom colour palette on the ambilight than anything else though. Boys and their toys eh?!
emotion-5.gif

I was thinking of planting a cable in the wall to use a freeview HD box just incase I ever get rid of Sky. Would that be a coaxial male-to-female both ends do you know Max?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Daveee:

They were great thanks. To be honest I've spent more time fiddling with the custom colour palette on the ambilight than anything else though. Boys and their toys eh?!
emotion-5.gif

I was thinking of planting a cable in the wall to use a freeview HD box just incase I ever get rid of Sky. Would that be a coaxial male-to-female both ends do you know Max?

Cheers.
if you get rid of sky , cant you connect any potential hd box to the sky sat ,if its freesat , and to the hdmi cable currently running from the sky box ?

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:Daveee:

emotion-5.gif

Cheers.

if you get rid of sky , cant you connect any potential hd box to the sky sat ,if its freesat , and to the hdmi cable currently running from the sky box ?

I don't know I've always had Sky or Virgin so I have no idea what connections would be on a freeview HD box. Probably worth getting right before I go sealing that wall cavity though
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

just get a humax foxsat sat box , plug it into your satelitte dish , just like your sky box is at the moment , and connect it to the hdmi cable currently running from your sky box to the tv ..

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:just get a humax foxsat sat box , plug it into your satelitte dish , just like your sky box is at the moment , and connect it to the hdmi cable currently running from your sky box to the tv ..

Just the one HDMI lead in my TV Max. PS3, Blu-Ray and Sky all run through my amp. Can that Humat sat box also run through the amp? I have no intention of cancelling Sky anyway, just better to be safe than sorry.

A

Anonymous

yes , if you ever cancel sky , just connect the humax in its place , and it will work through your amp just as the sky box does now ..

ive got one set up the same way , works fine
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts