Decision time, what about the Philips 47PFL9664?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I agree with maxflinn on this one.

Even for 2D VT20 will probably be one of the best TV's this year. Look out for reviews. I know there will be at least 1 serious reveiw out during the coming 2 weeks.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

well , given that whfi were so impressed with their current referance set , the sensationaly good pioneer kuro lx5090 , and given that the vt20 shares much of the kuros tech , id say we could say likely , rather than probably
emotion-15.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
TKratz:Well Andrew, you have seen the TV I guess, and know something I don't?

Please enlighten me.

No, I haven't - but then I'm not speculating about its quality...

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Ah, now I see what you mean, and fair point. This is getting a bit speculative.

But I would still wait for a serious VT20 reveiw
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:well , given that whfi were so impressed with their current referance set , the sensationaly good pioneer kuro lx5090 , and given that the vt20 shares much of the kuros tech , id say we could say likely , rather than probably
emotion-15.gif

How do you know how much of the Kuro tech is in the new Panasonics? All we know is that some of the ex-Pioneer engineers are now working at Panasonic, as you might expect given that they're plasma TV engineers and there aren't that many companies still working hard on plasma.

FWIW, I saw some of the new sets in the Panasonic room at the Munich show last weekend, and they looked very artificial. Not that I'd jump to conclusions from that...

A

Anonymous

true , its a guess as to how much kuro tech is in them , but , given that last years v10 was generally , in fact globally considered to be the best 09 tv (with of course the exception of whfi) and given that at least some kuro tech is now in both the v20 and vt20 , i think its fair to assume , that this years high end pannys will probably be considered , by many , to be the best tvs on sale ...

A

Anonymous

Max, I could be wrong on this of course but do youlike panasonics?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:given that last years v10 was generally , in fact globally considered to be the best 09 tv (with of course the exception of whfi)

That's simply not true. It didn't, for example, even get shortlisted by Home Cinema Choice in its 2009 Awards, to name but one (and there are more).

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Daveee:...At the moment Richer Sounds are doing the Philips 47PFL9664 with a free 5 year warranty worth £160 (instore only) Quite exactly what that warranty actually covers remains to be seen. Probably just parts and labour for a fault, I doubt they would see motion blur or backlight bleed as a 'fault' should the set have problems with either...
Are you aware that unless a warranty includes 'accidental damage', it's actually a waste of time and money? This is because the Sale of Goods Act deems that a retailer is liable for a product's parts-and-labour repairs if it develops a fault within SIX YEARS of purchase, under the 'not fit for purpose' caveat. I recently had a 2.5-yr-old Pana plasma develop a fault - a green vertical line down centre of screen - which required a new panel (££££s). In short, after I vociferously cited the 'six-year rule' the panel was replaced - and I paid nowt for parts-and-labour.

If you do buy a Philips 47PFL9664 from Richer Sounds, then I urge you watch the Blu-ray version of The Bourne Ultimatum ASAP (ie within 24 hrs of getting the set home or preferably demo instore), as IMHO this film will test the 47PFL9664's abilities to handle Philips's motion-blur/'watery halo'/clouding issues to the max. If the 47PFL9664 fails the 'The Bourne Ultimatum BD test', then obviously return the TV pronto.

May I suggest the following picture settings (all credit to Andy Clough) for the 47PFL9664 during your 'Bourne demo':

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 48

Colour: 50

Sharpness: 3 (or zero)

Noise reduction: Off

Tint: Normal

Within Perfect Pixel HD sub-menu:

Perfect Natural Motion: Minimum

200Hz Clear LCD: On (or Off - can cause 'judder' if On during DVD/BDs, especially during Dark Knight's opening zoom shot)

Advanced Sharpness: Off (or On)

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Dynamic Backlight: Best pic

MPEG artefact reduction: Off

Colour Enhancement: Off

Light sensor: Off (or On)
[end]

BTW, Trading Standards/Consumer Direct definitely deem "motion blur or backlight bleed as a 'fault'".

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant, I will pick up that Blu-Ray as a test disc if I go for this TV. I wouldn't have expected Trading Standards/Consumer Direct to acknowledge motion blur or backlight bleed as a fault. I suppose the trouble is in proving the fault, it may boil down to an individuals opinion on how bad the problem actually is. All the same that was some useful information, thanks
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Had my 42PFL9664 since pretty much the day it was available in the Netherlands, so coming on about a year now. All I can say is, I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I wound the clock back and had to make the same decision again. However In my opinion if you think you could afford the next Phillips range 9705, I would wait for that. Ambilight is absoloutely amazing, and far less gimicky than people make it out to be. The sheer level of detail on the current generation is what prompted me to buy the 9664, it trashes those ugly black slabs that are panasonic all day without braking a sweat...

I will also probably be looking for a 46-50 incher when I move to a new appartment over summer, and considering my experience so far with the Philips I would consider anyone who buys a similarly priced VT20 or HX903 without seeing the 9705 first a bit of a fool. Of course there are no garuntees it will be any good, as with many of these untested TVs, but I think it's worth the wait...

A

Anonymous

When is the 46 inch version of the Philips 9705 out in the UK?

D

Deleted member 2457

Daveee:When is the 46 inch version of the Philips 9705 out in the UK?

August/September time, the difference with the 47pfl9664 and the philips 46pfl9704 is the latter has a sharper image to it from what i could see.

A

Anonymous

Well I have reserved the last Philips 47PFL9664 at my local Richer Sounds. I will go and demo it this saturday with the settings suggested by 6th.replicant (via Andy Clough I believe) Thanks for the advice so far
emotion-21.gif
Hopefuly it's as good as the reviews suggest and at £1600 it's well below the £2000 I was expecting to spend which is a bonus
emotion-1.gif
I'll keep this thread updated after the demo for anybody else that may be interested.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Daveee:
Well I have reserved the last Philips 47PFL9664 at my local Richer Sounds. I will go and demo it this saturday with the settings suggested by 6th.replicant (via Andy Clough I believe) Thanks for the advice so far
emotion-21.gif
Hopefuly it's as good as the reviews suggest and at £1600 it's well below the £2000 I was expecting to spend which is a bonus
emotion-1.gif
I'll keep this thread updated after the demo for anybody else that may be interested.

Hope you find a good 'un!

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
maxflinn:given that last years v10 was generally , in fact globally considered to be the best 09 tv (with of course the exception of whfi)

That's simply not true. It didn't, for example, even get shortlisted by Home Cinema Choice in its 2009 Awards, to name but one (and there are more).

it was cnets top tv , and other forums , and hdtv test , and flatpanels hd , and all the clued up punters on avs forums , and there are more...

A

Anonymous

In fact it was , there is no doubt about it .. in my opinion it was one of the best 2009 sets !

by the way max - i saw another g20 review but can't post link here - mail me if want

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn: hdtv test , and flatpanels hd , and all the clued up punters on avs forums

And for TV reviews these 3 sites are highly rated in my book! Besides WhatHifi of course
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

CM7:
In fact it was , there is no doubt about it .. in my opinion it was one of the best 2009 sets !

by the way max - i saw another g20 review but can't post link here - mail me if want

i seen it too cm7 , and a few others , top marks all around , except of course from
emotion-16.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
You can always find less flattering reviews. There are surely also some for the Philips
emotion-5.gif

So all the way around is perhaps a little overstated, but I still think it is fair to say G20 has received top marks from many of the top reviewing sites.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed - and don't forget we gave it an enthusiastic four-star review. Four stars meaning 'very good'. And it's only the price/performance of the Sony that stopped it getting five stars. Other reviewers who don't test on a performance-per-pound basis would be more than justified giving it full marks
emotion-21.gif

Just trying to keep it factual, and in perspective, here
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Again, not top marks from Home Cinema Choice - four stars there, too. Please stick to the facts, not your prejudice, Max
emotion-39.gif

ok ok , it was generally judged too have been an excellent tv , most reviews gave it 9 out of ten , 5 stars , highly reccomended , etc , etc , .. there aint no prejudice from max
emotion-50.gif
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts