Decent mini hi-fi under £400 to power x4 ceiling speakers and Mac compatible

deansplit

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I had a Marantz M-CR611 for a year before a plumbing leak broke it. Was going to replace it with the same unit but wondered if there's a better one out which is Mac compatible or plays music stored on an external HD, which that unit didn't (only a music centre which I understood meant buying a complete new piece of kit for £300 odd). It aslo has to be able to powere 4x ceiling speakers which are individually wired (not daisy chain) and I understand that the Marantz is one of the only units which does this, otherwise it's one which has one amp and strains it. It needs to have a CD player, digital radio etc and the room it's for is a kitchen diner, 47m2.

Thanks for any help.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Its a decent size room so I would think speaker matching would be important.

Do you have the speaker units already? What impedance are they?

deansplit

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Again, speakers were trashed too - had Monitor Audio CT165's – sound was amazing (for what we need) so wanted to get the same but understand they're now replaced with C165's which have better cones.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Acording to monitor audio these have an impedance of 6 ohms. In bi-amp mode you should be fine.

Power drops significantly in this mode, probably about 10-15 watts for each speaker of that impedance. Should be fine unless you want party levels.

Most other small systems will not match easily with two 6 ohm speakers per channel, the Marantz looks like your best bet.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
If you can handle used, the previous version of the Arcam Solo Movie can be had for small money on ebay. You might find a nice one near enough to your home to inspect it before purchase. Reviews describe it as audiophile quality whatever that means.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts