Decent amp for under £2k?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm sure this has been done to death, but times change so here goes

I'm looking for a decent amp for under £2k to drive a pair of B&W DM605 S2 speakers. My main sources are an Arcam CD23 FMJ and a Logitech Transporter (playing uncompressed 44.1/16 ripped from CD or 96/24 and 192/24 from download).

Truth be told I could do with upgrading the lot, but that will have to wait for another day. And the powered woofers in the 605s do produce wondefully tight and visceral bass.

I've got fairly wide tastes in music (everything from Laura Marling / Diana Krall to Led Zeppelin / Rolling Stones) so a good all-rounder is preferred.

The job was filled by a NAD 319 which recently died. I was never blown away with the NAD though and really should have sold it. The high end was a bit harsh (not helped by metal domed tweeters) and it didn't cope with busy passages at all well. It was an impulse buy during the sales, but that's another story.

Based on reviews and forum postings I've got a shortlist of three to audition; Creek Destiny 2, Naim Nait XS and Roksan Caspian M2.

Are there any others I should add to the mix? The Musical Fidelity M6i gets a lot of praise but it's around £500 above my budget.

I'm going to have to travel some distance to listen to the Creek, so is there any reason I shouldn't bother? Apart from the relative sonic merits, it seems that Creek kit built in China is not so reliable. I'm guessing the Destiny 2 is built in the UK and should fare better

£2k might be more than I need to spend to drive speakers which cost £1400 when I bought them, but I'm sure it won't be too long before I'll need to replace those too

Thanks in advance.

Nomis

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
See if you can demo the Denon PMA-2010ae (or PMA-2020ae when its out)

Its a cracking amp, had the PMA-2000ae and it was brilliant, great MM/MC input too!

Bucket loads of power if you need it and subtle with it to.

mahlerous

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Nomis,

Whilst freely admitting my bias, I'd urge you to listen to a valve amplifier in your auditioning.

I'm confident that once you listen you will go valve.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered the latest offerings from Rotel? For an altogether cheaper option there is the Harman HK990 - plenty of power in that to get the most out of the B&W's. You mention stepping away from NAD but the C390 is worth looking at.

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
It's definately worth demoing the Naim nait XS but I would urge you to hunt down a dealer that has the Heed kit on demo, I've been listening to the Heed Obelisk Si integrated amp with the matching x2 power supply for the last week and it is absolutely amazing, I can see why it has won the What HiFi award this year.

Basically it is extremely musical and smooth but retains the detail, it is just so listenable, with almost a valve quality, I hooked it upto a pair of PMC 23's the other night for a quick listen and couldn't pull myself away for a couple of hours as I worked my way through all my favouriite demo tracks and it presented every kind of music beautifully, so definately worth a listen.

I was so impressed I'll be taking Heed on as a brand very shortly so can't say much more than that really.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Although it may seem odd I wouldn't recommend the Caspian if you are sticking with your speakers for any length of time.
I have had mine with the BW603s3 and CDM1NT and found the treble a little harsh.

I do not know of other Arcam models but my Alpha 9 has staggered me as to how well it drives both sets of BW speakers,I have heard some say the A38 is similar in sound signature but try and demo for yourself, also plenty come up ex dem or on sale on ebay so worth checking there as well as Arcam stockists.
Maybe look at Sevenoaks for ex dem on their clearance page.

I do have a recently bought NAD C370 that I will be trying against the Alpha 9 with the BW speakers and will let you know my thoughts if interested.

Good luck in your search, have fun.

Wolf75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I did an A/B test 3 years ago: Creek Destiny against my Heed Obelisk Si+X2 power supply(with Epos M12.2 speakers). I was told, that Creek-Epos synergy can't be beaten. The Creek did a very good job, but the Heed was so much better! Smooth, yet detailed, with big 3D soundstage. I gave the Destiny back to the owner, thereafter I did't want to change the Obelisk (but I changed speakers).

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I'll second that suggestion to consider used or ex-dem. My Ayre AX-7e cost me £1300, just over half the new retail. And as it was ex-dem I was able to try it at home; I think I got a warranty as well (it's performed impeccably for the 2 years I've had it).

If you don't like it you can always sell on without much / any loss. Just have a trawl through a few dealer websites to see what £2k buys you.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
One of the best SS amps I've heard, is the Electrocompaniet ECI-3.

+1 :grin:

An exceptionally good amp for the money that will drive and control almost any speaker and it should last a lifetime too !

All for £1925

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/electrocompaniet-eci-3-618281/review

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps the Yamaha AS2000 is worth a look .. A smooth and powerful amp that measures well, is good with all genres of music and really comes into its own when used with balanced inputs .. which your Transporter has.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
CnoEvil said:
One of the best SS amps I've heard, is the Electrocompaniet ECI-3.

+1 :grin:

An exceptionally good amp for the money that will drive and control almost any speaker and it should last a lifetime too !

All for £1925

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/electrocompaniet-eci-3-618281/review

Well in my experience i found the electrocompaniet EC1-3 a bit bright for my tatse. Very clean sounding, but not enough clot.

matthewpiano

With that budget I'd be wanting to try the following:

Denon PMA2020AE

Denon PMA1510AE

Yamaha A-S2000

Creek Destiny 2

Roksan Caspian M2

Arcam A38

I'd probably end up with one of the Denon amps myself. Beautifully built, very stable and loads of control and power.

matthewpiano

Denon PMA2020AE

Denon PMA1510AE

Yamaha A-S2000

Creek Destiny 2

Roksan Caspian M2

Arcam A38

I'd probably end up with one of the Denon amps myself. Beautifully built, very stable and loads of control and power.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Well in my experience i found the electrocompaniet EC1-3 a bit bright for my tatse. Very clean sounding, but not enough clot.

Interesting.

What system was it in, as if anything, I found it a touch dark at the top end (which I like)? It can generate 60 A of peak current and is stable into 2 Ohms (160W), so is not short of drive and control.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

Denon PMA2020AE

Denon PMA1510AE

Yamaha A-S2000

Creek Destiny 2

Roksan Caspian M2

Arcam A38

Yup if the PMA-2000AE is anything to go by, the PMA-2010ae or upcoming PMA-2020ae should be a cracker.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the help. Certainly lots to think about.

I got to listen to the Creek and Naim at the weekend and while both were as good a I expected, I found the Creek suited my taste better.

The Heed Obelisk Si does look intriguing and is just within budget when paired with the X2 power supply. I've tracked down a couple of dealers and will try to get over to one or other before I make a decision.

For the valve aficianados, are there any recommendations at under £2k? I'm a bit concerned that the B&Ws are allegedly a difficult load (impedance drops to 3 ohms) and what this means for a valve amp.

Nomis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts