Debut 2 vs Debut 3 vs all-comers

Paul.

Hi all,

I want a super cheap TT as I have quite a few records sat around doing nothing. I am looking at the projects as I have had good experiences with them in the past. I was wondering firstly, are there any significant differences between the Debut 2 and 3 other than the electronic speed controller? Debut 2 seem to go for around £60-£70, or as low as £40 if someone puts one up collection only. I don't really want to spend over £100, and the debut 3's all seam to go for £120 second hand. Will I be missing out on much going for the 3? I just want something fit and forget, so not really interested in vintage suspension designs. Definitely don't want to go back to tweaking TT's, main reason I got fed up with vinyl last time. I accept I will probably have to buy a phono stage as the one on my Onkyo will probably be a bit ropey, but its a slippery slope!

What would anyone recommend as best second hand TT under £100?

Paul.

Nearly got a Debut 3 SB Phono for £100 last night, lost out by £9. If it was anyone on here I shake my fist at you! :)

Thinking of being a bit more adventurous and going for a Thorens 150 or 160. any opinions?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Reckon you did very well there. The 'collection only' would have dissuaded quite a few but if it was in travelling distance of you then it's a win situation.

Paul.

Having bidding ending at 16:00 on a weekday probably didn't help either. Its in Bristol, so should be easy enough. He is selling a NAD PP1 pre amp as well, it it worth making him an offer? Think the Phono-stage in my Onkyo will be not so great, and I only have £25 budget left.

The chap is throwing in a Steinburg USB phono pre amp with the TT, never heard of them.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of them. They make USB audio interfaces and other related gear which are quite popular with people building home studios. Chances are it will be better than the phono board in your Onkyo. Then again I've never owned an Onkyo amp so maybe I'm condemning it without trial.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
Thorens were all going to high for the tidy ones, ended up winning an Project Xpression with a carbon arm for £75 local collection, think I did ok!

You think? Well done, absolute bargain!

Paul.

Balls. Went and demoed, sounded great. Got it home, still sounded great. After a few hours play, it started to rapidy deteriorate. It now sounds gravily and highly destoreted. Trouble shot everything I can think of, can only assume the cart has died. Boo!

Oh well, even with a dead cartridge it was still cheap.

TRENDING THREADS