Dear WHF Journos....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Seems to me there are a lot of questions being posed around here by a new(er) generation of readers, moving up from their i-whatevers into the world of proper hi-fi.

How's about starting a series of articles going through the basics of how hi-fi works, what the components do (or should do), what to look, sorry, listen, for, etc.?

You could cover digital sources, turntables, integrated amps, pre / power combos, DACs, speakers, interconnects, speaker cables, room acoustics, racks & stands, valve amps vs. solid state, floorstanders vs stand mounts vs bookshelf speakers, you name it.

Might boost the circulation a bit more than veering off into reviewing playboxes or X-stations...

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
How's about starting a series of articles going through the basics of how hi-fi works, what the components do (or should do), what to look, sorry, listen, for, etc.?

I'm sure there used to be a set of articles like that here, but it was back in the days when the world was all black and white.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think it's a great idea there are plenty of people that want good sound but do not know were to start I know what Hifi used to put helpful hits and tips in the magazine years ago but they do not do it now . My only concern is the thread would be hijacked by people disagreeing with someone opinion and you know how cable threads end up on here *smile* but if it helps people out its a great idea

It is probably on line somewhere. In the old days, magazines would give away little booklets to entice new readers, with titles like "Beginners guide to setting up your hifi".

Now it is probably on YouTube?!

The current edition of the mag has a good guide to setting up a tv!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
It is probably on line somewhere. In the old days, magazines would give away little booklets to entice new readers, with titles like "Beginners guide to setting up your hifi".

One day when I am rather more bored than I am now (just keeping up with news is exhausting at the moment!) I'll give it crack on WayBackMachine or something and report back.

shadders

Hi,

What does seem to be lacking is reviews of home cinema equipment as the component of a hifi system. As an example, I have an Audiolab 8200AP, but it has never been reviewed as a preamp with inbuilt DAC by the hifi press. It has been reviewed by Home Cinema Choice as a home cinema piece of equipment, but not by Hifi mags.

So I think this needs to be addressed.

Also, there does seem to be an insufficient number of processors on the market. The hifi industry does not seem to cater for people who want to use home cinema as the hifi component.

Regards

Shadders.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
shadders said:
What does seem to be lacking is reviews of home cinema equipment as the component of a hifi system. As an example, I have an Audiolab 8200AP, but it has never been reviewed as a preamp with inbuilt DAC by the hifi press. It has been reviewed by Home Cinema Choice as a home cinema piece of equipment, but not by Hifi mags.

Also, there does seem to be an insufficient number of processors on the market. The hifi industry does not seem to cater for people who want to use home cinema as the hifi component.

I think there may be one less processor now, as it seems from some retailers that the 8200AP looks to be discontinued, and there's no sign of an 8300 series processor. For the same reason, I'd think it's unlikely you'll now get the review you crave.

shadders

spiny norman said:
shadders said:

I think there may be one less processor now, as it seems from some retailers that the 8200AP looks to be discontinued, and there's no sign of an 8300 series processor. For the same reason, I'd think it's unlikely you'll now get the review you crave.
Hi

That is a shame, as the Audiolab was affordable. I don't want two systems, or be stuck with a home cinema amp for hifi. Separates so you can select and switch on/off various components as required is the optimal.

Regards,

Shadders.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The idea of a 'how to' guide is a good one. I am in the final stages of writing a 'duffers guide to broadband' for my road association - as soon as it became known I had a clue about this stuff, I was swamped with calls for help. Writing a quick guide seemed a good solution.

The challenge for a publication like WHF is that at least some of the good sense engineering based advice for enthusiasts is at odds with the claims made by a number of the magazine's advertisers. It would be very unlikely that a magazine would bite the hand that feeds it.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
andyjm said:
The challenge for a publication like WHF is that at least some of the good sense engineering based advice for enthusiasts is at odds with the claims made by a number of the magazine's advertisers. It would be very unlikely that a magazine would bite the hand that feeds it.

Can't help but feel you may be overthinking this to some extent.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
spiny norman said:
andyjm said:

Can't help but feel you may be overthinking this to some extent.

You think? Lets say the section on speaker cables says:

Listening tests performed under controlled conditions and the electrical analysis of the factors underlying speaker cables have all shown that the only parameter that effects speaker cable performance is resistance, and therefore its thickness. In a domestic environment, all good quality cables of sufficient thickness will sound the same. For normal length runs of cable (less than 4 metres), cable of 2.5mmsq cross sectional area will be more than adequate. Cable of this type can be purchased from any electrical factor for less than 50p per metre.

Honest, technically correct advice - that isn't going to cheer up the advertising manager.

I remain very skeptical that WHF would sponsor such a guide.

at one point in the naughties....all that was reviewed was home cinema systems with umpteen processors /av amps released every other week and the hi-fi kit was left for the crows.They should be separated systems imo....made my mind up in 2001 which way I was going.I absolutely hate av kit.Loads of speakers,sub woofers and constantly need the remote in your hand in case you wake the whole neighbourhood up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts