Dear What HiFI TEAM / Administrators....

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
EDITED - please do not discuss moderation.

Out of intrest why dont you have a classified section? I cant imagine it would put too much strain on your server. It would also be mega useful. Are there some legal implications? I for one think it would be amazing if you could advertise on here. Whos with me (dont leave me hanging!)?

A

Anonymous

Thinking about it, it could possibly quite easily get out of hand with all sorts posting on it, a sort of hifi ebay. And this would have effects on the servers.

A

Anonymous

i also think it would be great. however, i could see it being a hugely complicated thing to do and not worth the hassle for the WHFSV team.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's been discussed both here and in meetings before, but it can't be done until we have a private messaging service, and the resources to police/administer such a service, including ensuring the transactions are genuinely private, sorting out disputes and so on.

With the level of resources we have at the moment, that'd be hard to do.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site

FWIW I would love to see a classifieds section. Just about every other forum on the internet has a PM system, why not WHF? I think they need to change the forum software, it's far from perfect.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
a.g.:I think they need to change the forum software, it's far from perfect.
We know it's far from perfect. Work is underway to upgrade the forum software, but since this has company-wide implications, these things take time. We're as frustrated as anyone by the limitations of the software we have to work with, believe you me.

No hidden agenda stifling personal messages or anything else, and if we had to resources to manage a sales and wants section we probably would have one, as I have explained above. We just don't have those resources at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Proved by the fact that on rare occasions you do pass on e mail addresses to help out if 2 consenting adults want to exchange hardware for cash.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
In a Perfect world with Perfect people are doing a Perfect gentleman deal it would be no problem....but we all know that's not the case.

I have been in the game long enough to know that there are more scammers out there than ever! and they getting more clever about how to clean you out, trade carefully.

Thaiman:

In a Perfect world with Perfect people are doing a Perfect gentleman deal it would be no problem....but we all know that's not the case.

I have been in the game long enough to know that there are more scammers out there than ever! and they getting more clever about how to clean you out, trade carefully.

I think TM is right. On the other hand, paradoxically, I believe [IMHO] that if the crooks are determined enough, they will find a way of selling dodgy products, regardless of reputation and names.

Moreover, from WHFI's point of view, they need to decide on whether a classified section is in the spirit and the integrity of their magazine. Only then might we see a future classified section added.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:

As a pro box shifter do you have any tips to share what to look out for when buying online?

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I still don't see what's wrong with a classifieds forum - I've used Usenet newsgroups for trading before now, which is even more anonymous than this forum, and have never had a bad experience, you just need to be clever enough to spot the scammers.

There will ALWAYS be people wanting to scam you out of your money, refusing to have a classifieds forum for this reason alone is nonsense.

I think that if classifieds were accepted on the basis that the ability to collect in person and hear the goods was mandatory, then it would certainly work. Nobody's forcing anyone else to buy anything.

EDITED - please do not discuss moderation

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Solomon1:

As a pro box shifter do you have any tips to share what to look out for when buying online?

Be sensible and not be greedy is the best advise I can give!

If the deal is too good to be true then it's normally just that! No one in their right mind will sell. Krell that rrp for £8,000 for £500! unless it's hot or well broken beyond repair. Ebay is the main place for scammers, find a picture from internet and pretend it is his/her for sale. Normally this people are register on Ebay with a business account but Zero feedback. I know everyone have to start from somewhere so not all Zero feedback seller are dodgy! To help creat a picture of who you are dealing with why not send him an email? The question that should be include is "Would you accept cash on pick up?" as many scammers will not even reply for that question!

Also if you ever come across an email along the line of " I want to sell it faster and i want to find a buyer immediately" just walk away from the deal! 100% scammer!

if you are selling something make sure you have a proper conversation with buyer, not just emails but ask for telephone number. The most commom scam is "over payment" if your good is sold for £300 and buyer send you a chq for £2,000 don't bank it! because you will get a high commission charge for cashing the cheque and legally you haven't got a leg to stand on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, TM! Much appreciate it!

"If something is to good to be true, then normally it's just that" is one of my favorite catch phrases. To live by it keeps you out a lot of hassle & trouble.

I guess whenever it comes to buying it's best to see the product for real before shelling money.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
a.g.:There will ALWAYS be people wanting to scam you out of your money, refusing to have a classifieds forum for this reason alone is nonsense.
But Andrew has said twice above, the reason isn't this, but lack of resources.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts