De-essing vinyl

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm currently using a Project Debut III turntable. On well-mastered discs it sounds fanstastic (take the new Foo Fighters album, for example). The level of detail is really astounding.

However, even some new records struggle with "essing" sounds around the inner grooves of the record (a paricular problem on 7" discs, I'm sure you can imagine).

I understand why this is more likely to happen on the inner grooves of the disc as the circumfrance is shorter and the angle of rotation narrower.

So... is there a way to reduce, or eliminate this? What can an improved turntable or cartridge offer me?

Any insights would be grately appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
It was an alignment problem when I was getting IGD. Try turning the cart a tiny amount inwards and if that brings no improvement, try turning a little outwards. Also make sure that the headshell, and not just the cartridge, is parallel to the lines on the alignment protractor.

Good luck matey.

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Robert, speaking from my not-so-extensive experience it may be a couple of things. Assuming the deck is not set up by the dealer, you may have a problem with cart alignment as Bretty pointed out. In my case, it was incorrect VTA (the tonarm was too high) and indeed it was even more evident on 7"s because the singles I have are thinner than the LPs, so the VTA was even more incorrect.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You need to look up 'Stevenson' and 'Baerwald' geometry and try and find a suitable universal protractor that can be adjusted for your arm dimensions. (Effective length 218.5mm, length from spindle centre to arm pivot 200mm, overhang 18mm etc.)

The Stevenson geometry (as used on Regas) has a null point (least distortion) where the inner groove is on a standard LP.

However Rega arms have different dimensions to your Project, so their protractor cannot be used.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts