Danny Baker´s Great Album Showndown. BBC4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Electronica, techno, a lot of modern music that sounds 80s, prog rock, Bowie, and much much more besides.

The list of bands would be enormous.

You don't have to like them, but you do have to respect them.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Last nights R&B episode was sadly spoiled by Mica Paris, who clearly loves the sound of her own voice, jumping in with her views even when DB was trying to talk to Trevor Nelson or Martin Freeman. :shhh:

I'm still trying to find out what the "Linear notes" are she reads on the back of LPs..... Is it 'cos they're written in straight lines?

Oh.... And I'm 0 for 13 on the album ownership front.

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
She was a bit jump-inny, and especially Trevor Nelson was incredibly interesting to listen to so yes, it was a bit of a pity to have him cut off all the time, but what a joy to watch 4 such knowledgeable people talking about that musical era. I learnt a lot, and I thought it was absolutley GREAT despite Mica's over-enthusiasm. I keep a work-in-progress list of the people who I will invite to a dinner party in our house one day. Day before yesterday it was Boris Johnson, the ubiquitous Steven Fry, Steve Vai, Germaine Greer and Rory McGrath. Yesterday I replaced one of them with Trevor Nelson.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Electronica, techno, a lot of modern music that sounds 80s, prog rock, Bowie, and much much more besides.

The list of bands would be enormous.

You don't have to like them, but you do have to respect them.
Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but prog rock influenced by Kraftwerk? I don't think so. Tangerine Dream I would accept - a far superior source of electronic music.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'll give you that one, I'll take prog off the list.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
When I saw last night's episode was going to be about R&B, I groaned a bit, because what 'the kids today' call R&B is not what I call R&B, so I was glad to see that it did doff its cap quite a bit in the direction of the old stars like Wonder, Gaye and Brown. Though I too was waiting for Danny to pause the camera and tell Mica Paris to STFU. No one else could get a word in, and tbh she wasn't particularly interesting to listen to compared to Trevor Nelson. I felt Martin Freeman - the token white guest on a show discussing what is primarily a black genre - slotted-in a bit awkwardly.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Vizzage said:
I keep a work-in-progress list of the people who I will invite to a dinner party in our house one day. Day before yesterday it was Boris Johnson, the ubiquitous Steven Fry, Steve Vai, Germaine Greer and Rory McGrath. Yesterday I replaced one of them with Trevor Nelson.

Rory McGrath right? I wouldn't want to be in the same county as him...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Vizzage said:
Anyone who knows the latin names of all our major coastal birds is welcome at my table thank you

Oh I see, so you won't let him take part in conversation, you'll just throw names at him at random points?

"So, George, how's that new contract with STORM PETREL! the Russians coming along?"

"Not great, they're quibbling over the intellectual rights unfortunately, they don't want to accept the standard terms, even after I told them Americans had already signed up."

"Hydrobates pelagicus"

"Oh Bravo Rors! Really, what do they hope to achieve by dragging their feet like that? Ridiculous..."

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Vizzage said:
Anyone who knows the latin names of all our major coastal birds is welcome at my table thank you

"Hydrobates pelagicus"

"Oh Bravo Rors! Really, what do they hope to achieve by dragging their feet like that? Ridiculous..."

Sounds harmless.

(Unless he got drunk and asked the hostess for a Phalacrocorax aristotelis.)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Vizzage said:

Oh I see, so you won't let him take part in conversation, you'll just throw names at him at random points?

"So, George, how's that new contract with STORM PETREL! the Russians coming along?"

"Not great, they're quibbling over the intellectual rights unfortunately, they don't want to accept the standard terms, even after I told them Americans had already signed up."

"Hydrobates pelagicus"

No-one called George was invited.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
Vizzage said:

"Hydrobates pelagicus"

Oh they were, but not the sort of people you'd boast to the neighbours about.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
Vizzage said:

"Hydrobates pelagicus"

Oh they were, but not the sort of people you'd boast to the neighbours about.
I see this has developed nicely since I last looked, still chortling.

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
The conversation above is EXACTLY the sort of thing I've been imagining!! Nice 1. George happens to be my wife's name btw. I always ask her about her Russio-American contract negotiations when we have guests round.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Vizzage said:
The conversation above is EXACTLY the sort of thing I've been imagining!! Nice 1. George happens to be my wife's name btw. I always ask her about her Russio-American contract negotiations when we have guests round.

Sounds like your sex life is about as interesting as mine.
Glad I have my HiFi.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Vizzage said:
Sounds like your sex life is about as interesting as mine.

:O It's just a dinner party man!!!!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
Funny Autobahn should be mentioned, a few years ago I bagged a copy on blue vinyl from a local record fair and it's virtually unlistenable because the cut is so quiet.

That's what I had playing here for the photo of my old Rega P2 and Ortofon 2M 'Purple'. *

3228548240_d0ebda884e_o.jpg

I recall it was unplayable on one side because of a patch of 'fur' or fibrous stuff that was embedded into the blue vinyl when pressed. (I binned it.)

The CD I have is perfectly playable but it's only about 3 years old. (Bought after binning furry blue LP version.)

* 2M Red body/2M Blue stylus.

Autobahn on blue vinyl now worth £500.00 .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
Funny Autobahn should be mentioned, a few years ago I bagged a copy on blue vinyl from a local record fair and it's virtually unlistenable because the cut is so quiet.

That's what I had playing here for the photo of my old Rega P2 and Ortofon 2M 'Purple'. *

3228548240_d0ebda884e_o.jpg

I recall it was unplayable on one side because of a patch of 'fur' or fibrous stuff that was embedded into the blue vinyl when pressed. (I binned it.)

The CD I have is perfectly playable but it's only about 3 years old. (Bought after binning furry blue LP version.)

* 2M Red body/2M Blue stylus.

Autobahn on blue vinyl now worth £500.00 .
Not with a large blue furry patch.

Besides, they don't have to cost that much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts