Danny Baker´s Great Album Showndown. BBC4

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I now have a hitherto unexpected link with Jeremy Clarkson. We both like The Clash and particularly their first LP.

Great programme.

Only one downside: it stopped me listening to vinyl for an hour.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nowhere near, 3 out of the 12, or 4 if you include the 13th.

Bowie, Floyd, Lou Reed, and Led Zep. Have owned the King Crimson album, original issue too, but sold it.
cry.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Nine out of twelve here too.

Currently playing Zappa & The Mothers' Uncle Meat, which I think is on a par with Hot Rats and We're Only In It For The Money. But who cares, I was just delighted to wallow in a programme about one of our most beloved formats. And two Zappa LPs got exalted mentions. Two Zappas equals one Beefheart in my arithmetic. But there you go.

Good call on Physical Graffiti too.

Looking forward to tonight's and the rest of the week's segments.

daveh75

Just watched it on iPlayer, what a disappointment!

Thought it was supposed to be about the great rock album, seemed more like smug criticism of modern culture, music and the digital era to me.

Hadn't realised DB was such a music (vinyl) nazi...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
He's not wrong though is he.

People don't sit down in a darkened room with a pair of headphones for 40 minutes of blissful excapism in the same way they used to.

And yes, the way we now acquire, store and devour music is partly to blame (though blame is probably too strog a word; it's just changed, simple as that).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The Wife and I watched it on iPlayer last night. Very enjoyable. Understandably, with just one hour to discuss a whole genre of music, there was more left out than included, and I would have to disagree with DB on a couple of issues (I am proud of my CD collection thank you!).

Although the Rock episode is of more relevance to me than any other, I'm sure I'll watch any others with (almost) equal interest.

Oh, only managed 4 of the 13 myself; Physical Graffiti, DSOTM, In The Court Of The Crimson King & Sheer Heart Attack.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Watched both.

Reminded me why I always had a good quality cassette deck in my system.

The vast majority of albums only had - at best - a handful of good or great tracks. (So called 'prog rock' never appealed so - with the exception of Kraftwerk's 'Aotobahn' - all of my tapes were eclectic mixtures of pop, rock, funk, soul, reggae, ballads, nostalgia etc. that rarely lasted more than 5 minutes per track.)

I also bought and recorded a lot of 12" pop singles.

Back then, as now, I was a voracious radio listener (especially after Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in 1978* when I got hooked on stuff other than just music stations).

So, despite owning many albums, I rarely played them as 'albums' and they never dominated my teenage or adult listening.

BBC2 (I think) ran a whole series called 'Classic Albums' a few years ago that was infinitely superior to this Danny Baker effort (which is really all about Danny Baker).

*No hi-fi back then in 1978 but many an hour spent revising for O'Levels listening to Radio 4 and Radio 1 and Capital Radio (Kenny Everett**).

** I Still occasionally listen to the 25 episodes of Captain Kremmen that I have downloaded from podcasts.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
So called 'prog rock' never appealed so - with the exception of Kraftwerk's 'Aotobahn'

Eh?

Haven't watched it yet, the missus is away, so it's on series link for when she gets back.

Talking about track length. Wasn't categorising Kraftwerk as 'prog rock'.

Just pointing out that Autobahn was an exception, to most pop tracks, being so long.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
So called 'prog rock' never appealed so - with the exception of Kraftwerk's 'Aotobahn'

Eh?

Haven't watched it yet, the missus is away, so it's on series link for when she gets back.

Talking about track length. Wasn't categorising Kraftwerk as 'prog rock'.

Ah right, ok, I thought I was going to have to burn all my Kraftwerk for a minute there...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny Autobahn should be mentioned, a few years ago I bagged a copy on blue vinyl from a local record fair and it's virtually unlistenable because the cut is so quiet.

I'm still on the lookout for a really good CD of it as well. I bought a copy about 20 years ago and it's a terrible cut, one channel on the title-track is distorted almost from start to finish (I forget which channel).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Funny Autobahn should be mentioned, a few years ago I bagged a copy on blue vinyl from a local record fair and it's virtually unlistenable because the cut is so quiet.

That's what I had playing here for the photo of my old Rega P2 and Ortofon 2M 'Purple'. *

3228548240_d0ebda884e_o.jpg

I recall it was unplayable on one side because of a patch of 'fur' or fibrous stuff that was embedded into the blue vinyl when pressed. (I binned it.)

The CD I have is perfectly playable but it's only about 3 years old. (Bought after binning furry blue LP version.)

* 2M Red body/2M Blue stylus.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Nice one, Chebby. I do love Autobahn. Must track down a more recent copy to see if the latest ones are better. I'm sure they must be.

The whole lot was re-released on audiophile vinyl a year or so back (might be two thinking about it), including a boxset. I didn't buy it at the time because I didn't see the point of synthesized music on vinyl as it was digital to start with. Then I realised Kraftwerk were so old they were probably using analogue synths...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
recorded, mixed and mastered on analogue tape too, and as with most 'AAA' albums, LP is usually the best medium to hear them on, irrespective of whether the sounds on tape are of digital synths, analogue synths or something recorded with mikes. Though as usual, modern re-pressings will almost certainly stem from digital masters.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

plastic penguin said:
Can't stand Prog Rock nor Kraftwerk, and a lot of Glam rock was pretentious sh**e.

Kraftwerk are the most influential band on current music.

Like them or not, you have to give them their dues.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

plastic penguin said:
Can't stand Prog Rock nor Kraftwerk, and a lot of Glam rock was pretentious sh**e.

Kraftwerk are the most influential band on current music.

Like them or not, you have to give them their dues.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

5 out of the 13 tonight.

Both Stevie Wonders, Aretha, Marvin and Curtis.

Missed yesterday's programme, what was it on?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts