Dammit! Bitten by the upgrade bug... upgrade suggestions??

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Would very much appreciate suggestions re: upgrade... I suspect the speakers are the weakest link and may well be next on the list...

Current system:

Cyrus 8vs2 amp, Cyrus 6SE CD player into B&W 683 speakers... With Chord Silverscreen speaker cable and Chord Crimson interconnects.

I really enjoy this system but..

I listen mainly to classical, jazz. I wonder if some more "detailed" (? correct term) speakers might be in order.

The B&Ws certainly provide a big, bassy sound but I wonder if I am missing some of the more subtle detail.

Any suggestions most welcome!

BTW I am on the east cost of Australia, so options are more limited - I envy the UK range and prices!!!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't agree that the speakers are the weakest link at all... IMO they're brilliant speakers but they may not suit your musical taste bang on...

Have you thought about adding a power amp and bi-amping the speakers? I can tell you now that doing this would open up the soundstage a lot and you'd hear a lot more with regards to whats going on with the music etc...

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with d_a_n regarding the option of adding a power amp. I started off with the 6vs2 integrated and then added an 8 power which opened up the soundstage. I am just waiting for some QED Revelation speaker cable to arrive so that I can bi-amp.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm.

Hadn't thought about a power amp....

Thanks for the food for thought!

emotion-1.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No worries

IMO you'd be best looking at an X Power or the matching Cyrus 8 power amp.

Don't forget to budget for new speaker cables and interconnects as well.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I am now looking for a Cyrus PSX-R power supply to join up to my power amp.

As you say "damn it - bitten by the upgrade bug"

TRENDING THREADS