Dali Zensor 5 or Q Acoustics 2050i assuming both are the same price?

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Which should I go for? I can get both for about £435. Is there something better available at this price point?

Need them for music predominantly (rock, electronic).

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Before i start may i say welcome and what i am about to say is my opinion 8)

For what you want i would say the Zensor 5's would not sort you out in the low freq area at all. Although lovely looking speakers they are tiny and wouldnt give you the clout that your preferred music choice suggests you are after. The 2050is on the other hand judging by the reviews are big, loud dynamic floorstanders and i would say out of the two thats definitely what i would choose. This is my opinion and im definitely not an audiophile, just a dude that loves music. Audition both though as you may prefer the Zensors.

Craig

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
craig84 said:
Before i start may i say welcome and what i am about to say is my opinion 8)

For what you want i would say the Zensor 5's would not sort you out in the low freq area at all. Although lovely looking speakers they are tiny and wouldnt give you the clout that your preferred music choice suggests you are after. The 2050is on the other hand judging by the reviews are big, loud dynamic floorstanders and i would say out of the two thats definitely what i would choose. This is my opinion and im definitely not an audiophile, just a dude that loves music. Audition both though as you may prefer the Zensors.

Craig

Given my limited exposure to these speakers, this is just about right.

One thing to add is that the 2050is need some space if the bass is to remain under control, in a smaller room or close to a wall they can get a bit unruly and boomy.

If that is a problem then the Zensor 5 may be a better bet in general terms. If you need more bass extension or weight, then add a decent sub at a later date.

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Gale 4070w (subwoofer). My current setup is MS 902is bi-wired to some MS 914s with a Cambridge Audio 550 amp.

However I want something with a bit more *force*, acoustically speaking mid-bass power. Floorstanders seem to be the requirement and since I found some Dali Zensors on special offer I thought I'd check.

What about the monitor audio BX5s although I'm not a fan of their looks.

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh sorry, didn't really think about it. Basically the woofers on the 902is are a bit crackly and the tweeter is blown on one of the 914s so I wired the tweeters (902i) to the woofers (914) in parallel. Not really relevant just giving a comparison.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you dead set on these two speakers specifically? Because there are a lot more options out there. Definitely worth auditioning and maybe even considering the second hand market. Of those two, however, I can't recommend the 2050i's enough, haven't heard the Dali's though.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
They do look like they'd fit the bill but I'm already well above my ideal student budget. I'll keep them as a last resort since they're only £50 above the Dalis but if there's anything lower that would be ideal.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Tannoy Mercury V4

or

Tannoy Mercury V4i (new model 2013)

Please check these out. Very good sound for the money ;)

I Can vouch for the V4's as i have them( setup in my Sig) they give big bass and easily (more importantly willingly) go to anti social volumes without ever losing grip on the task in hand.

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Only problem is I do need them to be close to a wall which is why I initally was drawn to the Dali Zensors. Are the V4is worth spending the extra £100 over the V4s?

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have not heard the v4i's so cant comment im afraid Ron. How close we talking as even front ported speakers need a distance from a wall.

Craig

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
About 6". I could bring them forward a bit but it would be in the way slightly.

Options thus far:

Q-Acoustics 2050i - £400

Dali Zensors 5 - £425

Tannoy V4i - £400

Tannoy V4 - £300

Mission MX5 - £500

and anything anyone else can come up with.

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I can get a pair of Acoustic Energy Neo V2s for £250? At this price point are they a better deal than the others? That would leave me with enough money to get a Wharfedale SW150 sub.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Ron Leizrowice said:
Oh sorry, didn't really think about it. Basically the woofers on the 902is are a bit crackly and the tweeter is blown on one of the 914s so I wired the tweeters (902i) to the woofers (914) in parallel. Not really relevant just giving a comparison.

Ah ok. Not an ideal situation, no wonder you need some new ones... (Although perhaps you could use the 902 tweeters in the 914s- I think they use exactly the same units?) Had you been running two pairs of fully-working speakers in parallel, then this could have been relevant, as this halves the total impedance and puts more strain on the amp. However this is not the case so happy days...

If you like the idea of the Mission MX5s mentioned above, perhaps some secondhand 734s would fit the bill. I imagine you wouldn't pay more than about £120-150 for a good pair, and when it comes to power and clout you'd struggle to do better for that sort of money, IMHO...

Ron Leizrowice

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
The Missions are a bit out of my price range I think. I'm currently leaning towards the Acoustic Energy Neo 3 V2s with a Wharfedale SW150. However I'm going to audition the Q-Acoustics and the Dalis later so this might change my mind.

TRENDING THREADS