Dali Zensor 5 or Monitor Audio Bronze 5

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to change my speakers (B&W 602S3) to either of the above?

Out of interest before I go and listen does anyone have any thoughts on what would be best with generally rock music?

I'm pairing them to a Yamaha RX-A1060 (not yet bought).

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi that's a great amp.i take you have a large room if so I would like to recommend the kef q700 which are very large and can be had for just £500.these would complement the Yamaha very well http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3278-kef-q700-speakers-pair.aspx and a center speaker http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3281-kef-q600c-centre-speaker.aspx could be a fantastic system with a very cheap price

insider9

smbmetal said:
I'm just wanting to know whether people think the Monitors Audios or Dalis are the best?
Best for what? :)

They're both good speakers. Had a pair of older Monitor Audio BX5 also had a standmount Zensor 3. Enjoyed both for different reasons. They're different to one another. Will suit different amplification and different musical tastes.

In overall terms is Monitor Audio Bronze 5 better than Dali Zensor 5? Probably... Are both better than Q Acoustics? Definitely, for me at least.

But not everyone would agree and not necessarily when on the end of Yamaha amp. Monitor Audio and Yamaha might sound bright and clinical. Dalis would likely suit the amplification better. If you enjoyed your B&W speakers I'd guess you'd enjoy Dalis more than MA.

Like everyone said demo is a must. We all hear things differently. And have different tastes.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
smbmetal said:
I'm just wanting to know whether people think the Monitors Audios or Dalis are the best?
Best for what? :)

They're both good speakers. Had a pair of older Monitor Audio BX5 also had a standmount Zensor 3. Enjoyed both for different reasons. They're different to one another. Will suit different amplification and different musical tastes.

In overall terms is Monitor Audio Bronze 5 better than Dali Zensor 5? Probably... Are both better than Q Acoustics? Definitely, for me at least.

But not everyone would agree and not necessarily when on the end of Yamaha amp. Monitor Audio and Yamaha might sound bright and clinical. Dalis would likely suit the amplification better. If you enjoyed your B&W speakers I'd guess you'd enjoy Dalis more than MA.

Like everyone said demo is a must. We all hear things differently. And have different tastes.

Mainly rock/metal music. Thank you for your explanation. The only other AV amp that I will probably demo will be a Marantz SR 6011.

As I mentioned on a previous post, I'm reducing the number of boxes I have. Getting rid of my Rotel RC-03 & RB-03 setup and just going to use an AV amp for everything. I get that I'm likely to get a step down in music quality, but that is something that I will have to live with lol.

insider9

Dalis are better for rock and metal than MA Bronze imho

If not then Kef would also be worth looking at. Depending on the size of the room.

The main question is do you need to change your speakers? Your B&W are well regarded even though their age.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
My B&W speakers I've had from new, but I fancy some new ones.

You're quite correct that the B&W's are still good speakers, I just fancy some new ones and really like the white finishes especially on the Dali's

I'm hoping to move to a new build house and am wanting to change and reduce my setup in some areas.

insider9

I'd very much suggest you wait until after you've moved. Choice of speakers is important in relation to room and without knowing what room they're going in it would be difficult to tell.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
That's pretty much my plan. I already have a Yamaha AV amp (RX765) and will be plugging everything into that for now while I remove/sell my Rotels.

I was just interested out of the two pacakages which might be better with rock music. At the moment and from your opinion it sounds like the Dali's. I will of course be demoing both and a probably listen to a "dealer recommendation".

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
smbmetal said:
That's pretty much my plan. I already have a Yamaha AV amp (RX765) and will be plugging everything into that for now while I remove/sell my Rotels.

I was just interested out of the two pacakages which might be better with rock music. At the moment and from your opinion it sounds like the Dali's. I will of course be demoing both and a probably listen to a "dealer recommendation".
Whilst you will get some recommendations as to which others feel suits specific types of music, we are all different. Someone might say the MAs are better for rock, but if you heard the two packages, you may feel differently. I have a specific type of sound in my head as to how I prefer my music to sound, but for me to convey that to you depends on how I describe it and you interpret that description. If we passed that round a circle of five people's descriptions and interpretations, the end result would probably be completely different to the preferences of the first person in that chain.

I would book a demo, using the amplifier you intend to own, and try both speakers out with the music you prefer, and any other genres if you need to. Get a feel for how they both sound first hand, and decide which you prefer. I know that's not much help and doesn't answer your specific question, but it's a better answer than me just stating one of those two manufacturers, as if I did, it would just be stating my preference with that type of music.

It may also be worth trying two other alternatives. I say two, as if you asked for one alternative, you'll either get to hear a genuinely better alternative based on the salesman's experience, or an alternative which is just something the store is trying to shift or makes the most money out of (depending where you choose). Or you can just keep it simple and not bother asking for any alternatives :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts