Dali Zensor 3 vs Zensor 5

Biff

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello hifi dudes...first post on this highly informative forum. Some advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm struggling to choose between these two speakers. I've had a listen to both, and they sound good to me...a complete newbie to the world of hifi. I plan to use these speakers for listening to a wide range of musical styles as well as films and TV. The review on this site of the Zensor 5s said the bass isn't great, but the 5s go to a lower frequency than the 3s, so would they give a fuller bass sound? It seems, generally, that floorstanders are better for films and standmounters are better for music. Is this right?...and if so, why?

Your opinions on the pros/cons of each of these speaker types would be very helpful! I'm also after an amp btw! Budget is £600-700.

Thanks

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Biff,

Welcome to the forum, is that total budget for amp and speakers, what music do you listen to and what is your room size buddy?

Craig

Biff

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Craig, room is about 4 metres square. I listen to rock, pop, jazz, classical and more! Yes, that budget is for amp and speakers.

Biff

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yh very good words about the Zensor 3 but I'm wondering how they compare to, and the pros and cons of, the Zensor 5s....

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Generally, standmounters are better than floorstanders at creating a 3d / projected image of the music. But floorstanders usually go deeper. That is not to say you don't hear the lower bass notes with standmounts, you do, but you don't feel the bass as much.

I haven't heard the Zensor 3's or 5's but have heard the 1's and they are lovely. I think you'll be happy with either if the 1's are anything to go by.

I would say though...don't make the mistake of buying speakers which are too large for your room as this can result in bloated bass which overpowers the midrange. It would be great if you could home demo both sets of speakers.

The Zensor 3's and perhaps the Brio-R amp as suggested earlier should make a brilliant combination, although that does take you slightly over budget. (And don't forget to budget for decent speaker stands!). If you find you need more bass then perhaps look at adding a decent sub later on but don't rush into in, rather see how you get along and save up for decent sub.

TRENDING THREADS