Dali Zensor 3 vs B&W 685 S2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
mikaeil said:
could somebody please tell me what this mean?

How shuld I burn in new speakers? How much hours? countineously or not?

thanks.

Play music on them. You can even listen to the music if you want. There may be some changes over the first few hours (e.g. treble may be a bit harsh at first and bass not as present). Most speakers I've had have finished most of the "burning in" after about 10-13 hours. Although I seemed to think I could still detect subtle changes and improvements up to about 30 hours. Might just have been me getting used to the sound of my new speakers. Don't sweat it. just listen to them. I have left them playing softly during the day while I was away at work to speed up the process.

sheytan

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
ChrisIRL, what is your final call between the Zensor 3s and the B&W 685 S2s?
I'm in California and can't find a shop carrying the Zensor 3s to listen to. I did listen to the B&Ws and liked them. I would like to compare the two so can't really... I like the looks of the Dalis a lot more, so if sound wise they are close, I would go for them. Would love to hear your thoughts.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
sheytan said:
ChrisIRL, what is your final call between the Zensor 3s and the B&W 685 S2s?

I'm in California and can't find a shop carrying the Zensor 3s to listen to. I did listen to the B&Ws and liked them. I would like to compare the two so can't really... I like the looks of the Dalis a lot more, so if sound wise they are close, I would go for them. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I've been on a bit a speedy journey trying to find the right system for me so my time with either speaker wasn't very extensive, a couple of months with each. Both speakers offer a different presentation of sound so it really would come down to personal preference. The Zensor 3 I would describe as a bit more of a party speaker. The bass slam is very deep due to the 7inch driver, (you can actually feel it) and the highs are pretty well detailed, crisp and clear. The speakers have good energy and are fun to listen to.

The 685 S2s are more refined and probably offer better imaging and a wider soundfield. Detail is a little better. Bass is a bit softer and you don't get the floor shaking slam you get with the Zensors. Overall they do sound like the more expensive speaker of the two, but being technically better doesn't mean that they are the more enjoyable listen, again personal preference, type of music would decide.

I found it difficult to decide between the two, changing my mind back and forth, but looking back now If I had to choose I'd probably go for the Zensor 3. The 685 S2s got a little bit boring for me in the end, then again I was using an Arcam A19 which is a very refined sounding amp so that probably didn't help. I did very much enjoy the Zensor 3s with a NAD D3020, they complimented each other very well.

All that said I've since moved onto KEF LS50s. If your budget allows I would just go for these. They tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned, have all the positives of the Zensor 3 and 685 S2 and then some. They are the best speaker I have ever heard.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
I contacted the dealer who kindly allowed me to demo the 685’s to arrange their return. He has decades of experience in HiFi and be was genuinely surprised. While he has not heard the Zensor 3 he is familiar with them and feels the 685’s should sound better. He asked me to allow more burn in time for the 685’s. His in store demo 685's and fresh out of the box ones are like different speakers in his opinion.

No surprise there then.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
ChrisIRL said:
I contacted the dealer who kindly allowed me to demo the 685’s to arrange their return. He has decades of experience in HiFi and be was genuinely surprised. While he has not heard the Zensor 3 he is familiar with them and feels the 685’s should sound better. He asked me to allow more burn in time for the 685’s. His in store demo 685's and fresh out of the box ones are like different speakers in his opinion.

No surprise there then.

Well to be fair he wasn't entirely wrong. To some the 685 S2 would sound like the technically better speaker and therefore the nicer of the two. They did improve after some running in too. Fresh out of the box they weren't great.

sheytan

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your detailed response.

I just bought a vintage amp, and am putting a system together, mostly to listen to vinyls. The amp is a Mcintosh 2505 from the 70s, so perhaps its warmth would compensate for the B&W's accuracy. Then again, the efficiency of the Dalis might be a better match for the amp

Having a psychotic neighbor and very thin walls, I don't plan on listening to much else than jazz, acoustic recordings, perhaps some 70s rock here and there. I do enjoy Hip Hop, but I know my neighbor will start banging on the walls immediately if I do.

Can't quite afford the LS50s, though they are in my list. As this is my first halfway decent system, it is as much about learning about my tastes as it is about the best sound I can get. You seem to indicate the B&Ws would be more immersive than the Dalis, is that correct? Also sounds like they would be more detailed on acoustic guitard recordings. I am definitely not looking for something analytical though, just something very enjoyable on different kinds of music.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
sheytan said:
Thanks for your detailed response.

I just bought a vintage amp, and am putting a system together, mostly to listen to vinyls. The amp is a Mcintosh 2505 from the 70s, so perhaps its warmth would compensate for the B&W's accuracy. Then again, the efficiency of the Dalis might be a better match for the amp

Having a psychotic neighbor and very thin walls, I don't plan on listening to much else than jazz, acoustic recordings, perhaps some 70s rock here and there. I do enjoy Hip Hop, but I know my neighbor will start banging on the walls immediately if I do.

Can't quite afford the LS50s, though they are in my list. As this is my first halfway decent system, it is as much about learning about my tastes as it is about the best sound I can get. You seem to indicate the B&Ws would be more immersive than the Dalis, is that correct? Also sounds like they would be more detailed on acoustic guitard recordings. I am definitely not looking for something analytical though, just something very enjoyable on different kinds of music.

Given your taste in music the 685 S2s should suit nicely, they also sound good at lower volumes too. Another consideration could be Q Acoustic Concept 20s, also very good speakers. (Almost like a budget LS50). You could get the matching stands, stands plus speakers would be about the same price as the 685 S2s. Whole set up looks great, sounds great and would be even better for lower volume listening. Now that I think about it you should strongly consider the concept 20s. The joy of this set up too is that if you upgrade your speakers in time the concept 20 stands are a keeper. I have my LS50s on the concept 20 stands and they are a lovely match visually and performance wise.

aravaioli

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
I found it difficult to decide between the two, changing my mind back and forth, but looking back now If I had to choose I'd probably go for the Zensor 3. The 685 S2s got a little bit boring for me in the end,

All that said I've since moved onto KEF LS50s. If your budget allows I would just go for these. They tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned, have all the positives of the Zensor 3 and 685 S2 and then some. They are the best speaker I have ever heard.

If you found the B&W a bit boring have you tried the KEF R100 or LS50 as another poster suggested? I really liked, and bought, the R100. The LS50 are a bit extreme also in price for monitor speakers and a bit hard to match with any center channel, should you decide to go for a home theater setup one day (nver say never, time taught me...), but very exciting and unique (also in look, which I hate by the way especially if compared to the understated elegance of the R series). They are also very directional speakers, just in case you like room-filling speakers those won't do. The R300 would be even better as they should have the same amount of bass of your Dali 3, but they cost 3x as much... And the R100 2x as much, so a listen is really necessary. B&W have always failed to impress me in comparative listening. If I did not compare them I am sure I'd be happy with those but lot of options exist today...

The KEF have more aggressive highs, in my view, but if you like to listen acoustic guitar or saxophone they really shine.

TonyIRL

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I too am in between the dali zensor 3s and the b&w 685 s2s. I have no problem paying the extra €250 if the quality is much better for the b&ws. I know the obvious response is listen to both and make your mind up, but i cannot listen to these easily as there only store in ireland to stock these are 3 hrs away, - will eventually get to listen to them when i make the trip up after xmas, but am trying to do as much recon as possible before hand!! :) From what i have read both speakers are excellent - i am going to be connecting these to the NAD d3020. Any feedback/advise welcomed.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Tony,

You were looking at Zensor 3 vs Concept 20 around this time last year, did you go for the 20s in the end? If so I would just stick with them and wait until you can push the budget up higher. I bounced around between Concepts, 685 S2s and Zensor 3, all running off a D3020 as well as other amps and they were all of similar quality really. Each did something slightly better than the others, Zensors punchy and energetic, Concepts detailed and clear, 685 S2s somewhere between the 2 but a bit safe sounding. I only got the boost in everthing I was looking for when I moved to LS50s. Could have avoided losing some money by making the jump sooner. One speaker I never tried that might be worth looking at would be Dynaudio DM 2/6 or 2/7. They are around the €600 mark from the listening suite in Dublin. Cloney would probably send you 685s2 for home demo is you wish, only have to pay for return postage if you didn't like them. Cheaper than the feul costs. Hifihut might do the same with the Zensor 3.

TonyIRL

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks Chris! :)

I was in the market for speakers but due to unforeseen circumstances never got a chance to upgrade til now! I have paired the nad d3020 to older mission speakers i had previously which although do a job, they arent the best. I mainly listen with the akg k550s that i have.

So i am starting wit a blank slate. The dalis are looking very appealing due to their cost and for all of the positive reviews i have read. Also seem to have deeper bass than the others. Im edging towards them, but am interested in the b&ws (I got my nad in cloneys, so would defo buy from them again - they are the only store stocking in rep of ireland unless im mistaken?) I listen to practically every music sort, from chart to movie soundtracks & classical, rock to jazz - all depends on the mood i am in. Does either speaker perform any better for any of the above music types? Very broad question i know.

Would love the ls50s but they are out of my price range at the mo. :-(

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I would try to demo really, Hifihut could probably send you a demo pair of Zensors to try out. They would be the bassier and punchier of the 3 due to their 7" driver. The Concept 20s would have better HiFi virtues however, better stereo imaging and detail etc. O Callaghans in Cork have the Concepts in store for demo, could bring the Nad with you. I found the 685s to lie somewhere between the two. The Concepts plus stands for the same price would be the better deal to me. The Dynaudios I mentioned are meant to have great bass and punch from what I've read.

TonyIRL

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the advise and feedback Chris - am going to demo the concept 20s in cork over xmas and see what they are like. Will make the trek to dublin for the other 2 then after xmas! Will post back when have made a purchase! :)

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Enjoy the demos. O Callaghans also have Kef R100s. Very nice speakers, not entirely different to the LS50s and at €700 not too much more than the 685S2. Worth a listen. Have a good one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts