Dali Rubicon 8s

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Just brought some Dali rubicon 8s in walnut but have to wait 3 days for them to be shipped out from the Dali factory and then pick them up from the shop i brought them from .
But thought it was time i upgraded from the Dali opticon 8s to the Rubicon 8s i have had the Dali opticon 8s for 3 years which i think is a super speaker so i will be sorry to see them go .

Just brought some Dali rubicon 8s in walnut but have to wait 3 days for them to be shipped out from the Dali factory and then pick them up from the shop i brought them from .
But thought it was time i upgraded from the Dali opticon 8s to the Rubicon 8s i have had the Dali opticon 8s for 3 years which i think is a super speaker so i will be sorry to see them go .
Did you trade in the Opticons?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hope you got a good deal. Will be interested in what differences the Rubicons bring.
well i can not believe this myself but the manger let me bring back the opticons without loss so i got my £2000 back which went towards the Rubicons 8s which i had a balance of £2200 left to pay so paid it
But noticed that £200 has been added over the Dali high end range

Reactions: Al ears

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My speakers turned up after a weeks wait as they came straight from Dali them self's so only had them running about 8 hrs max so far .
So to early to say what i think but notice straight out of the box the top end sounded a lot better then the Dali Opticon 8s did and they sound a lot deeper in the bass department but what amazes me is the drivers are smaller on the Rubicon 8s then the big ones on the Opticons 8s .
The finish on the cabinets are a lot better on the Rubicons so far good but i have to say i do feel there was some quality's about the Opticons i liked in there sound department that i am not getting from the rubicons i guess its me just got new speakers and the old ones where well run-in .IMG20200923085524.jpgIMG20200923085459 (2).jpgIMG20200923085533 (2).jpg

Reactions: James105

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Looking good. Keep them running for a good while and play with their positioning, those ribbon tweeters often mean the straight ahead positioning is sometimes best.
I got them 26 cm from the back wall more then the Dali opticon 8s would you believe and they where bigger and yes i no about them firing straight ahead but i no some dealers like then to toe-in a little

Reactions: Al ears

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
well i can not believe this myself but the manger let me bring back the opticons without loss so i got my £2000 back which went towards the Rubicons 8s which i had a balance of £2200 left to pay so paid it
But noticed that £200 has been added over the Dali high end range

Thats twice they've done that for you isn't it? your old 6 to 8's

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thats twice they've done that for you isn't it? your old 6 to 8's
Yes it is Richer sounds is pretty good they have gone that extra mile more then ones with me and did not expect it this time to be honest .
Maybe its the Covid thing when not meany people are buying things like this i do not no but i would say it must be hard for Richer sounds at the moment

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Yes it is Richer sounds is pretty good they have gone that extra mile more then ones with me and did not expect it this time to be honest .
Maybe its the Covid thing when not meany people are buying things like this i do not no but i would say it must be hard for Richer sounds at the moment

Its hard for everyone right now I think.

How are they sounding so far?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Its hard for everyone right now I think.

How are they sounding so far?
They are starting to open up a bit now but was not keen on the sound when i first got them to be honest i felt for a minute i had made a mistake getting shot of my Dali opticon 8s as they did have bigger bass drivers on them and they where clear sounding but everything sounded right on them so both ranges of speakers do things differently .

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
They are starting to open up a bit now but was not keen on the sound when i first got them to be honest i felt for a minute i had made a mistake getting shot of my Dali opticon 8s as they did have bigger bass drivers on them and they where clear sounding but everything sounded right on them so both ranges of speakers do things differently .
I'm guessing the bass is tighter more controlled and cleaner less bloom, so may appear lacking until you adjust, I'd expect the soundstage to be better and more defined ,but lets face facts the options weren't junk you're looking at tiny steps at this stage I think.

James

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing the bass is tighter more controlled and cleaner less bloom, so may appear lacking until you adjust, I'd expect the soundstage to be better and more defined ,but lets face facts the options weren't junk you're looking at tiny steps at this stage I think.

James
The bass was booming a little bit the first couple of days but now its starting to tighten up i would say the bass is a lot deeper on the Rubicon then the Opticon but the Opticons had bigger bass drivers then the Rubicons which i did not have that issue with the Opticons .
I would say yes the Rubicons are cleaner sounding and the top end is a lot better then the Opticons
At the end of the day if the Rubicon 8s lack what my old speakers did i will just take them back and just buy a new set of Opticon 8s again Because they are very good speakers but the Rubicons are starting to improve with time but at the moment i am not blown away like i was with the Opticons if i was honest and they are cheaper to buy but the cabinets on the Rubicon are a lot better then the Opticons

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
The bass was booming a little bit the first couple of days but now its starting to tighten up i would say the bass is a lot deeper on the Rubicon then the Opticon but the Opticons had bigger bass drivers then the Rubicons which i did not have that issue with the Opticons .
I would say yes the Rubicons are cleaner sounding and the top end is a lot better then the Opticons
At the end of the day if the Rubicon 8s lack what my old speakers did i will just take them back and just buy a new set of Opticon 8s again Because they are very good speakers but the Rubicons are starting to improve with time but at the moment i am not blown away like i was with the Opticons if i was honest and they are cheaper to buy but the cabinets on the Rubicon are a lot better then the Opticons

Hope they come good for you

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Been mucking around with the speakers position to tone the sound a bit because on some music i get a bit of bass boom not much but bothers me .
So i placed some rubber under each of the feet which kind of tightened up the bass a little bit then i remembered about the Gaia isolation feet so i have gone brought some which they seem a lot cheaper now when they first came out so i will see if this will improve things .
The trouble is ....... Is this because the speakers are new and still need running in more which so far about 40 hrs on them so far .
or is this just that they are deeper in the bass department then the Opticon 8s where
Apart from that little issue they are sounding good a specially on music that is naturally played instruments like guitar , piano , women's vocals its when you have a band that uses a double kick drum that bit of bass bloom shows its head

Been mucking around with the speakers position to tone the sound a bit because on some music i get a bit of bass boom not much but bothers me .
So i placed some rubber under each of the feet which kind of tightened up the bass a little bit then i remembered about the Gaia isolation feet so i have gone brought some which they seem a lot cheaper now when they first came out so i will see if this will improve things .
The trouble is ....... Is this because the speakers are new and still need running in more which so far about 40 hrs on them so far .
or is this just that they are deeper in the bass department then the Opticon 8s where
Apart from that little issue they are sounding good a specially on music that is naturally played instruments like guitar , piano , women's vocals its when you have a band that uses a double kick drum that bit of bass bloom shows its head
Good news, and I can thoroughly recommend those Gaia feet, particularly on a suspended floor. Not cheap, I had to get the Gaia II's, but worth it I feel.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Could you home demo the Rubicon 6's maybe? I find it hard to believe the sound is going to change after 40 hours. You can try placement even rearranging the room if you can or maybe they just wont work in your room.

RS where giving 3 months during lock down I think, but double check the returns time (although they seem to love you there)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Could you home demo the Rubicon 6's maybe? I find it hard to believe the sound is going to change after 40 hours. You can try placement even rearranging the room if you can or maybe they just wont work in your room.

RS where giving 3 months during lock down I think, but double check the returns time (although they seem to love you there)
The trouble with richer sounds is that my local one there demo room isn’t that big so the only speaker I heard there was the Dali rubicon 5s and even they where really bassy in there demo room as there demo room is only good for stand mounted speakers .
The other issue is speakers like the rubicons even the Dali Opticon 8s and the rubicon 6s would be a special order so there’s no way I can demo them .
But I did go to a different shop and they had a pair of Rubicon 6s so I had a demo and they where hooked up to a class A sugden amplifier and then a luxman amplifier and the Rubicon sounded good .
So obviously I have had to buy blind here and take the risk going by the demos I’ve had and what I had owned before the Rubicons

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts