Dali Rubicon 2 vs ATC SCM 11 vs KEF R300

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Dear friends...

I am just curious...to have your expert and experiance if any on the above comparison for a small room say 15*18.

Its not about whïch is better ...its about the probable characteristics with moderately priced electronics.

I prefer airy but organic and lively sound with no hints of bright ness.Speaker may have 1ft to 1.5 ft clearence from side and back .

Not sure about the electronics but all digital...

Thanks in advance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you provide more info:

- What is the rest of the system?

- How far from the back wall / corners will the speakers be?

- What sort of music do you listen to and how do you like it presented?...ie smooth, organic and detailed; or more forward and lively, with a clean/neutral sound?

"Moderately priced electronics"? All of these speakers will be critical of the electronics they're partnered with, and how they end up sounding will depend on which electronics you're referring to.

In theory, the ATCs have the better chance of showing their potential in a smaller room (presumably we're talking solid walls) as they're a sealed speaker, but the R300s give you the option of using full or partial port bungs - the partial option usually works really well, and have done with the R300s in a slightly smaller room I have here than you do. The Dalis don't come with any port bungs, so there's no real option to play with other than room placement.

davidf said:
"Moderately priced electronics"? All of these speakers will be critical of the electronics they're partnered with, and how they end up sounding will depend on which electronics you're referring to.

In theory, the ATCs have the better chance of showing their potential in a smaller room (presumably we're talking solid walls) as they're a sealed speaker, but the R300s give you the option of using full or partial port bungs - the partial option usually works really well, and have done with the R300s in a slightly smaller room I have here than you do. The Dalis don't come with any port bungs, so there's no real option to play with other than room placement.

+1

I believe much will hinge on what the OP considers to be moderately priced.

The ATC would normally be my recommendation but not heard the Dali and the ATC's are going to need a very good amp to really shine. Perhaps the R300 might be the better pick if costs are limited.

......... failing that he could look at the EB2s......

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
davidf said:

+1

The ATC would normally be my recommendation but not heard the Dali and the ATC's are going to need a very good amp to really shine. Perhaps the R300 might be the better pick if costs are limited.

Thanks for reading between the lines .

I will not able to spend much on electronics,got a Z Dac and at maximum I can upgrade amplifier to Marantz PM 8005 or Rega Brio or smilarly priced if not a good used amplifier come in my way...even in future too...

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
davidf said:

+1

Thanks for reading between the lines .

I will not able to spend much on electronics,got a Z Dac and at maximum I can upgrade amplifier to Marantz PM 8005 or Rega Brio or smilarly priced if not a good used amplifier come in my way...even in future too...

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
LS50 wireless could be exactly what you need given your room size and digital requirements? Not far off your budget if you're talking full retail price for the items you've mentioned?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Dali Rubicon 2s will need a good amplifier to get the very best out of them and they are a 4ohm speaker so you will need something like the marantz PM8005 to run them properly .

the other 2 speakers you have mentioned are 8ohm load so easily driven but I have no experience with them but if your prepared to spend £1600 on rubicon 2s then you will have to factor a new amplifier as well .

Hi Maxprocrj

ATC's curved SCM11 passive monitors with their closed box design, flat and honest presentation should help with positioning in relation to room boundaries in your room. Having said this and something else also worth bearing in mind is that ATC will be releasing another version of SCM11's - the new HTS11 on/in wall passive monitors which should be available July.

Out of interest there will also be on/in wall versions of curved SCM7 and SCM40 passive monitors - HTS7 and HTS40 passives monitors.

Btw, the discontinued NAD C370 amplifier on the used market is worth a look. Powerful with a big, rich, weighty and dynamic sound for not much money.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Maxprocrj said:
Dear friends...

I am just curious...to have your expert and experiance if any on the above comparison for a small room say 15*18.

Its not about whïch is better ...its about the probable characteristics with moderately priced electronics.

I prefer airy but organic and lively sound with no hints of bright ness.Speaker may have 1ft to 1.5 ft clearence from side and back .

Not sure about the electronics but all digital...

Thanks in advance.
I thought you'd already chosen the Dalis. Did you not get them?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Maxprocrj said:
It's currently out of stock..
What about Proac and others British legends...
your really need to listen to some of these with a chosen amp to make your mind up.the ATC scm11 are amazing Speaker's and I think that's what you are describing.the kef's are clean sounding and the Dali's are good but I find they play with the sound to much.i would go for the ATC scm11 and get the rega elex-r amp or a second hand amp with at least 80w or check out the dynaudio emit m20 at £600 with the rega elex-r but the ATC are much better

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive owned the kef r700 and have listened to the r300
Very nice speakers but with a decent amp not close to the atc 11s (ive also owned these)
Id go atc 11 or better still, 19s and get a good quality 2nd hand amp.

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
How is atc 11 bass as its a sealed one.... It's match with Exposure 3010 amps
.. Can it be felt as I listen lots of bass heavy tracks.... friends it's too unfortunate that there wouldn't be no scope to audition these speakers. I will only relay upon your feedbacks.

If budget permits some day I will buy PMC twenty or it's upgrade versions of standmounts .Thats some day............... :(

If nothing works then I will buy KEF R300 as I could able to audition them once. But not a wow one... Or diminishing of returns is working.... May be mediocre amplification....or my high expectations out of them...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Maxprocrj said:
How is atc 11 bass as its a sealed one.... It's match with Exposure 3010 amps .. Can it be felt as I listen lots of bass heavy tracks.... friends it's too unfortunate that there wouldn't be no scope to audition these speakers. I will only relay upon your feedbacks.

If budget permits some day I will buy PMC twenty or it's upgrade versions of standmounts .Thats some day............... :(

If nothing works then I will buy KEF R300 as I could able to audition them once. But not a wow one... Or diminishing of returns is working.... May be mediocre amplification....or my high expectations out of them...

If you can't audition speakers then it makes sense to buy second hand and if you really don't like them then you can move them on with little monetary loss, if you buy right you might even make a small profit .

Have a little look at these, they are easy to drive and can produce proper bass. *smile*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-Twenty-22-Stand-Mount-Loud-Speakers-Walnut-Finish-Twenty-22-/112444241559?hash=item1a2e32f697:g:f8UAAOSwPK1ZQo--

TRENDING THREADS